PDA

View Full Version : [ET9x00] USB DVB-S2 tuners not realy working

pmneo
22-02-12, 18:48
Hello, i've tried some USB DVB-S2 tuners:

PCTV 400e -> SD works most time, sometimes "tune failed", HD not working (because it's just a DVB-S tuner, but VIX doesn't recognize this)
PCTV 460e -> SD works, but not always, HD many freezes, slow tuning time, sometimes "tune failed", not working after standby (needs restart)
Technisat SkyStar 2 CI USB -> SD works not so good like the PCTV e460, HD doesn't work, slow tuning time, many "tune failed", but works after standby
TeVii S660 USB DVB-S2 -> SD works with fast tuning time, the HD channels works sometimes with slow tuning time, but not always ... then VIX logo apears and after about 10 seconds it says "tune failed", not working after standby ( needs restart )

So my question, has anyone a realy working USB DVB-S2 tuner which is working with HD channels??

Thanks pmneo

Stanman
22-02-12, 20:18
Sundek Ultimo 2 the one with a green LED, works a treat on ET9000 and VIX. ZAP is not as fast as internal tuner but nothing to complain about.

silverfox0786
23-02-12, 23:05
the sundtek is the one you want mate

should be getting mine next week too

dfdream
24-02-12, 10:26
pmneo,

I think you would be better off at looking at non usb solutions.
The issues you describe are the exact same issues tons of users are having with DVB-T tuners. I myself have NovaT and Sundtek media Pro and they are both a disaster. Your issues virtually daily.
I recently added a VU Solo to the mix and have shifted lots of my recordings to that and in the last 3 weeks Ive had no crash or any of the symtoms you describe above of course its because I barely use it now. (1-2 DTT recordings a week form 15-20).

People will tell you on plenty of sites that theirs works properly and no issues etc... But in my thinking they are not using the usb tuners much at all. You know as well as I do that if you pust the usb tuners much at all it will fall over.

In my opinion either the hardware or the original image isnt robust enough to deal with USB tuners (most of my issues occur when viewing or recording RTE2 HD) and its time to forget about USB Tuners or for VU+ to step up to the plate. (Im on Duo btw but this seems to be generic issue I had the same errors as you).

stick50jr
25-02-12, 09:49
I've got to agree with dfdream. My usbtuners work well in Windows 7 but on the VuDuo they are always falling over. I would use the dvb-t usb tuners more heavily than the embedded sat tuners, except for these problems. I can't help thinking that VU+ don't care too much about the situation... I'm thinking of retiring the Vuduo and certainly wouldn't upgrade my stb unless these issues are solved. I recently swapped over to Blackhole 1.7.2 because they claimed to have a completely new and improved usb tuner support under a software scheme referred to as 'media tree'. This is not solving the problem.

Come on VU+:smash:

givecredit
25-02-12, 23:30
pmneo,
People will tell you on plenty of sites that theirs works properly and no issues etc... But in my thinking they are not using the usb tuners much at all. You know as well as I do that if you pust the usb tuners much at all it will fall over.

Rubbish! I live in the republic of Ireland. Most of my tv viewing is the RTE channels. I have 2 VU DUOS, one with Nova td and 2nd with play tv stick. Both using same driver and both perform faultlessly. I record a lot from rte2 hd, no problems. I know a lot have problems with DTT, but you are wrong in saying those that do not have problems do not use there tuners too much.

stick50jr
26-02-12, 02:52
With the embedded tuners I regularly record up to 4 channels simultaneously and watch another or a previously recorded program. Then I added a dual dvb-t tuner. Initially we tried to do the same... ie record multiple programs and watch others. This works but not indefinately... after a while the machine seems to run out of memory or loses timing in its control of the usb tuners. For example, I would often lose control of tuner C (first to be used by default) but could still user tuner D. To get them all back I would need to do a total restart.

I also started with a nova td but purchased an Avermedia Twinstar in case it was just drivers/hardware. However, I have the same problems with them regardless. I have often tried with clean images with no extra plugins... so I doubt it is anything to do with using dubious plugins. I am able to avoid problems longer and do a reboot every 24 hours, if I reduce my recording down to single programs but this doesn't work well in my family. If I had multiple stbs, then this would reduce the load on individual stbs and this is possibly what you are doing by having several VuDuo's.

I am glad that your system works well... I only wish mine did as well. My experiences certainly align with dfdream's so I disagree with your 'rubbish!' verdict:confused:.

cheers

pmneo
07-05-12, 06:00
I just want to inform all here, that my pctv452e is working very very nice with current openPLI 2.1 (Kernel 3.3.0) !!

Also the new Sundtek SkyTV DVB-S2 REV III is working very good with openPLI 2.1.

Both are tuning fast (max 2 seconds) and running very stable!

Much thanks to the great Sundtek support to solve one last "tune failed" problem, which was caused by a wrong transponder config ( the channels where stored as dvb-s instead of dvb-s2 )

Greez pmneo