PDA

View Full Version : quality of sd picture on vu duo

fintannl
22-02-12, 16:04
I am always amazed at the quality of the high def picture using a vu duo. however the standard de picture seems to be very poor. if i use a dm800 instead of the vu duo i find the quality of the sd picture is greatly enhanced. can anyone advise on optimum vix settings to show sd content on my tv. thanks

fintannl
22-02-12, 20:26
found that by setting sharpness setting within a/v settings there is an improvement. any other suggestions

fintannl
22-02-12, 23:15
unusual that i can gain no help on an issue that must relate to many hmmmmmmph

fintannl
23-02-12, 00:39
nobody? has nobody a vu duo?

Larry-G
23-02-12, 00:44
i know this is no help to you but on my tv which is a 48" Toshiba LCD both SD and HD are fine for me with no need at all for messing with any settings. on any of my boxes. Duo, Uno,Ultimo. at the very most i have the auto resolution plugin installed.

Rob van der Does
23-02-12, 06:53
You probably got no answer as nobody experiences this problem. The DUO (and all other VU's & ET's) simply provide an excellent picture.
There are 4 things you could look into:
1- make sure that all so-called improvement settings on your TV are completely turned off. Contrary to their name they actually destroy the picture;
2- Make sure that the scaler sharpness in A/V settings is set to the middle (= default, = actually turned off). Some people prefer it to be slightly to the right, giving a somewhat sharper picture, but also introduces some artefacts.
3- Make sure that scaler sharpness in Video Enhancement Settings is set to the default value (= 13). Never touch this one.
4- Make sure that in Video Enhancement Settings all the settings below 'Split preview mode' are set to zero (= default).

hifial
23-02-12, 07:48
You could try the auto resolution plugin and set it to put the sd channels out at 576i then the scaling will be done by the tv and not the vu+

ekkostar
24-02-12, 17:49
You've probably got your box scaling and your TV re-scaling. Two rounds of processing will not help an already poor signal. You therefore need to eliminate one round of de-interlacing to progressive.

Install auto resolution plug in, fix SD output as 576i and let the TV do the upscaling.

The VU does have a fairly good output, it's not the best but it is good.

Dranny
02-03-12, 16:04
You've probably got your box scaling and your TV re-scaling. Two rounds of processing will not help an already poor signal. You therefore need to eliminate one round of de-interlacing to progressive.

Install auto resolution plug in, fix SD output as 576i and let the TV do the upscaling.

The VU does have a fairly good output, it's not the best but it is good.

Excellent stuff mate.

I am running the latest Vix image and the SD quality was quite poor and today went horiffic! Lines all over the place.

Adjusted the auto resolution to 576i for all the 5 of the SD options, and like magic, the picture is back fine!

Quick question regards the HD options on autoresolution. Should I leave them all at default and let everything fix itself?

Thanks for the help!

Dranny
02-03-12, 16:04
Thanks hifial also ;)