PDA

View Full Version : The Pirate Bay faces ban in UK following High Court ruling

bassethound
22-02-12, 11:21
The Pirate Bay is facing a ban in the UK following a ruling by the High Court.

Judge Richard Arnold declared that the website encourages users to infringe on music copyright, paving the way for broadband providers to block the service.

Pirate Bay provides a searchable index of links to BitTorrent trackers, primarily films, music and software. It claims to be the largest website of its kind, with 3.7 million hits in the UK alone.

Record labels and film studios have long opposed the service, and attempted legal action on numerous occasions. The Pirate Bay's defenders claim that it is no more illegal than Google, but Mr Justice Arnold ruled that it encourages illegitimate practices.

"In my judgment, the operators of [The Pirate Bay] do authorise its users' infringing acts of copying and communication to the public," he said. "They go far beyond merely enabling or assisting," adding that its users have "a common design to infringe".

"I conclude that both users and the operators of [The Pirate Bay] infringe the copyrights of the Claimants (and those they represent) in the UK."

Pirate Bay, which moved away from torrent hosting last week, was not represented in the UK court. The site's organisers were hit by criminal convictions in 2009 in their native Sweden.

"Despite their ability to do so and despite the judicial findings that have been made against them, the operators of [The Pirate Bay] take no steps to prevent infringement," Arnold added.

"On the contrary, as already explained, they actively encourage it and treat any attempts to prevent it (judicial or otherwise) with contempt."

Long-time Pirate Bay opponent the British Phonographic Industry (BPI) praised the court's decision, and vowed to continue to put pressure on service providers to take action against the website.

"The High Court today ruled that The Pirate Bay is illegal. The site defrauds musicians and causes huge damage to the music industry and wider creative industries," said BPI chief executive Geoff Taylor.

"The ruling helps clarify the law on website blocking and we will now proceed with our application to have the site blocked to protect the UK's creative industries from further harm."

The move follows Hollywood's landmark victory over torrent website Newzbin2, which saw the service blocked by BT and Sky. The case was expected to set a legal precedent for copyright holders to tackle other websites deemed guilty of infringement.

Rimmel
23-02-12, 08:52
Ah you've got to love the UK - big brother at it's best.

Sandman
23-02-12, 09:59
Very odd at the minute...Torrents seem to be on their way out and binaries on their way back!! :confused:

I'm just waiting for the governments to insist newsgroups are text only and posts are allowed to be a maximum size :eek:

Sicilian
23-02-12, 11:37
If this carries on I can see many broadband users cancelling their supperfast lines. Whats the point of a 50mb or 100mb line just to browses the web?

Mr. Mister
23-02-12, 11:53
Another view on this..

whats the big deal with pirate bay.. Its sh1te..

And there are plenty more better sites than this one..

Sicilian
23-02-12, 11:58
Another view on this..

whats the big deal with pirate bay.. Its sh1te..

And there are plenty more better sites than this one..

Problem is, they'll soon start hitting the better sites. Can see the good nzb indexers soon going down.

pooface
23-02-12, 12:08
Problem is, they'll soon start hitting the better sites. Can see the good nzb indexers soon going down.

Yup, seems to be the case they're attacking everything... Even bar fights in the house of commons or summat like that I heard on the radio this morning! lol. Wot's this country coming to :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::argue:

mcquaim
23-02-12, 13:23
My crap ISP eircom here in eire already block pirate bay! Who knows what is next in line :mad:

zola25
23-02-12, 19:47
So just use another DNS server other than your ISP own and problem is solved.The pirate bay has been blocked for a couple of years here in Denmark i just use googles dns server and it works fine.