PDA

View Full Version : VU duo performs really poorly

danped
16-02-12, 12:27
Hi,

My VU duo has vix 2.3 on it. It doesn't perform as well as a sky box, it used to have the vix logo coming up a couple of times a day when I had 2.2 installed and now I have 2.3 it is even worse and freezes totally so I have to power off and on at the back once a day now. When I pause/rewind tv it seems to do weird stuff occassionallly it will jump to the "live" action or I emay fast forward at x128 (as indicated on screen) but the image is moving at x2.

MY questions are:

1) Is this normal or does anyone have a glitch free perfect working box set up?
2) Is there a way of building the box again from scratch (if this would help) I'm comfortable with reflashing the images but what about updates to the underlying firmware etc?

Thanks,
:rolleyes:

tomhick02
16-02-12, 19:20
I had the same issues on the older vix images, but it was actually my dyndns check time was every 5 mins causing the box to crash and busybox symbol nearly constantly on, up that time to 60 mins and see does it make a difference??

Donnie
16-02-12, 20:09
Without doubt you have added something that upsets the stability as I have my Duo up and running without a reboot for weeks at a time.

danped
16-02-12, 21:09
I don't have dyndns running so its not that though I have often wondered if I have configured something which does uneccesary checks. I have tried a reinstall and resetup of vix 2.3 today, hopefully that will sort it but would be interested to know if there is more in the way of starting from a blank slate.

16-02-12, 21:58
Mine sometimes crashes when I'm fast forwarding, usually when I'm recording something. :(

I think it's to do with my hard drive though and not the box.

tsx
17-02-12, 10:42
First check you are on a build that isn't known for those issues....

You've probably already done this, but I would definitely make sure that picons, and epg aren't on the hard drive as that always makes it worse, especially if your not using pts as you need to wait for the HD to spin up each time. Grab an old USB flash drive and use that.

Also only load bouquets that you actually use.
Don't fill the box with random useless plugins.

Not sure whether it may have an effect, as mine worked straight away, but in the past I have had issues with HD's due to the SATA mode. Quite often you can change the SATA mode with a jumper on the disk which may or may not help. (not sure what sata mode the duo interface is but just a thought).

danped
17-02-12, 19:58
First check you are on a build that isn't known for those issues....

You've probably already done this, but I would definitely make sure that picons, and epg aren't on the hard drive as that always makes it worse, especially if your not using pts as you need to wait for the HD to spin up each time. Grab an old USB flash drive and use that.

Also only load bouquets that you actually use.
Don't fill the box with random useless plugins.

Not sure whether it may have an effect, as mine worked straight away, but in the past I have had issues with HD's due to the SATA mode. Quite often you can change the SATA mode with a jumper on the disk which may or may not help. (not sure what sata mode the duo interface is but just a thought).

Thanks - these sound like tips I can take to the bank. I'm not a heavy plug in user but I don't have a usb for the epg and I do have an unecessary bouquet. I'll try these first and maybe have a look at the sata setting if I still have problems.

thanks.

danped
17-02-12, 20:01
Do I have to configure the usb drive or can I just plug it in and change my epg location to "internal flash"

Thanks.

tsx
17-02-12, 20:58
As mcquaim says.....

Hi there,

To setup picons on a USB stick it is as simple as creating a folder on the USB stick called picon and copy all your picons onto that folder.

For the EPG you need to tell the image where to store the epg.dat file. If you are using Vix then you need to do this in the EPG menu in

Setup-->System-->EPG-->Settings...

As for size, it all depends on how many satellites you are pointing to I guess. If you have a single fixed dish then 2GB is loads, more than that then increase the size of the USB stick etc..

Cheers,
mcquaim

(fat format should be fine)

satmanbasil
18-02-12, 12:22
Hi mates

Must admit as the vix has developed silly niggly things seem to happen mainly with the spinning VIX logo kicking off , a sign somethings about to happen you dont wish it to
I recently installed a usb hard drive to my solo thinking i would use this for epg - picons etc but since i did the box has been playing up so much today i have reverted back to original config and letting the epg data reside in internal flash, however as my usb is connected to the rear i have left the picons on the hard drive.
Biggest problem im guessing with any development of an image is pleasing one and all some of us have less needs than others what expectations of the receiver are maybe its possible to have a strip down version which users can use who only require the basics.

regards