PDA

View Full Version : Day One with VU+ Duo.. Questions!

micks_address
15-02-12, 09:42
Hi Folks,

I have my VU+ Duo since last night. Got it connected to the net etc but have a few questions. On latest Vix image

1) What are picons? I am assuming they are like channel logos for the epg?
2) How do i install/see picons?
3) Can i change the default epg? Some of the channel names are two long for the first column so cant see full name. I have the crossepg plugin - have downloaded data etc - is that just for gathering epg data?
4) Is there an easy way to change bouquests? I have one that i want to delete already
5) Box noise - is it the fan? Seems louder than my sky hd box - anything that can be done?
6) Whats the 'cleanest' skin to use for the Vix image?
7) Is there an RF option for the box? I would like to be able to send channels like we used to do with sky to tv upstairs and use tv link
8) Channel 4 HD - when i select channel says service unavailable - i assume its FTA as i can see on the sat tuner in my tv? How can you edit an individual channel frequency?
9) Picture quality - are there plugins I should install to improve picture quality? What are recommended settings for Brightness, Scaler etc?

Cant think of anything else at the moment - but any advice/help for newbie appreciated!

Cheers,
Mick

Maxwell
15-02-12, 10:05
1. Yes picons are channel logo icons
2. To get you started download (install them to either Flash or a USB stick for which satellite(s) you need) through the plugins, you will see them in the infobar and the epg if you setup epg to display them.
3. Wont be an issue when you setup epg to use picons but you can change epg if you wish.
4. DreamBox Edit on the PC
5. Can be fan or internal HDD or both, if you have internal HDD try turning off permanent timeshift
6. Personal preference really, I use Magic HD Night or VIX Night depending on how I feel, try a few out until you find one you prefer.
7. Nope
8. Dreambox Edit, you also need a Sly card setup with the cam
9. Auto resolution plugin, settings for brightness etc is personal preference and very much dependant on your TV

All the info you need is here on the site, Silverfox did a very nice tutorial on how to update your channels/bouquets, he also does a very nice picon set for 28E.

One piece of advice that may save you from pulling your hair out>Do one thing at a time and backup your settings before moving on to trying something else. So once you have your picons working, save everything then move on to setting up epg, if it goes tits up you can be back up and running in a few minutes by flashing a clean image and reloading the last settings that worked fine or you can do a full image backup and just reflash it with your backup.

micks_address
15-02-12, 10:54
Thanks Max
So to install the picons - i go to menu - plugins - picons - then which ?

Think VIX night is enabled at the moment..

Will try the auto resolution tonight

Cheers for the help,
Mick

1. Yes picons are channel logo icons
2. To get you started download (install them to either Flash or a USB stick for which satellite(s) you need) through the plugins, you will see them in the infobar and the epg if you setup epg to display them.
3. Wont be an issue when you setup epg to use picons but you can change epg if you wish.
4. DreamBox Edit on the PC
5. Can be fan or internal HDD or both, if you have internal HDD try turning off permanent timeshift
6. Personal preference really, I use Magic HD Night or VIX Night depending on how I feel, try a few out until you find one you prefer.
7. Nope
8. Dreambox Edit, you also need a Sly card setup with the cam
9. Auto resolution plugin, settings for brightness etc is personal preference and very much dependant on your TV

All the info you need is here on the site, Silverfox did a very nice tutorial on how to update your channels/bouquets, he also does a very nice picon set for 28E.

One piece of advice that may save you from pulling your hair out>Do one thing at a time and backup your settings before moving on to trying something else. So once you have your picons working, save everything then move on to setting up epg, if it goes tits up you can be back up and running in a few minutes by flashing a clean image and reloading the last settings that worked fine or you can do a full image backup and just reflash it with your backup.

Maxwell
15-02-12, 11:00
Thanks Max
So to install the picons - i go to menu - plugins - picons - then which ?

Think VIX night is enabled at the moment..

Will try the auto resolution tonight

Cheers for the help,
Mick

Menu>plugins>green button>picons>tv-east-028.2
This will get you the Sly picons

micks_address
15-02-12, 11:46
so if i download picons - just need to enable picons in epg setup?

Menu>plugins>green button>picons>tv-east-028.2
This will get you the Sly picons

Maxwell
15-02-12, 11:55

yes this is done by pressing EPG then Menu
also set the number of items per page, I have mine set at 8 as I find this a comfortable amount for me with channel preview mode and picture in graphics enabled

Stanman
15-02-12, 13:56

I would make sure you put the picons on a USB stick as if they go to HDD, it will fire up your HDD everytime you change channels. Its good to have a USB anyway so you can backup settings and image as well as for logs and PICONS etc.

micks_address
15-02-12, 20:31
Hi, i downloaded the picons and i had a usb stick in the back usb port - got the option to download to hard disk or flash ? so downloaded to internal flash.. they seem to be there on info bar but they are not in the epg.. any ideas?

yes this is done by pressing EPG then Menu
also set the number of items per page, I have mine set at 8 as I find this a comfortable amount for me with channel preview mode and picture in graphics enabled

Maxwell
15-02-12, 20:35
what settings have you set in epg menu and did you reboot

micks_address
15-02-12, 20:40
picons enabled = yes, number of items = 8, picture in graphics enabled.. i did a restart by holding down the power button on remote and choosing restart from there..

what settings have you set in epg menu and did you reboot

micks_address
15-02-12, 20:58
trying to update the details for channel 4hd in my channel list using dbedit

i've attached a screenshot from dbedit - are the details correct?

Cheers,
Mick

Dell_XPS
15-02-12, 21:33
Mick is channel 4HD in all channels ?, if so click on it press menu, move it to the required bouquet.

micks_address
15-02-12, 21:50
Trouble is I cant get picture on channel 4hd

15-02-12, 21:56
Channel 4 HD is as follows for me and works fine.

http://i.imgur.com/J8vTv.png

micks_address
15-02-12, 22:05
thanks will give it a go. Cheers mick

Dell_XPS
15-02-12, 22:08
Have you done a fresh scan ?, in all channels there should be a working channel 4 HD, see if you can find that, if you do , then select it then press menu on the remote, gives you the option to move it to your required bouquet.

micks_address
15-02-12, 22:29
Doing fresh scan on box now

micks_address
15-02-12, 22:50
Channel 4hd working now. No picons in epg but can live without

Dell_XPS
15-02-12, 23:07
Create a Picons folder on your hard drive, download the latest picons, ftp them across job done m8.

micks_address
15-02-12, 23:30
Where can I download them from? What folder on theduo do I ftp to?

Dell_XPS
15-02-12, 23:39
Create a Picons folder on your Hard D m8, not the root folder of the Vu Duo, your hard drive you have installed.
rive
h**p://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?15138-Astra-28E-HD-Picons-by-Sandman

micks_address
15-02-12, 23:52
Where do I ftp picons folder to?

Dell_XPS
16-02-12, 00:32
Create a folder on your VU+ Duo's hard drive, call it Picons, the file you have just downloaded containing the picons, copy contents to the Picons folder on your hard drive in the Vu+ Duo.

16-02-12, 00:36
I thought the folder had to be called picon? Without the s?

At least, that's what my folder is called.

Larry-G
16-02-12, 00:41
yes the folder is called picon. just place the picon folder containing the picons onto the root of a USB stick or the flash of the receiver i would not recommend using picons from a HDD as the disc must spin up every single time a channel is changed adding several seconds onto the zap time in most cases.

micks_address
19-02-12, 21:21
hi guys,

i have a picons folder on the duo (see attached screenshot) not sure why i cant see them on the epg.. maybe someone might upload a screenshot of what they look like in the epg?

Also I want to change the behaviour of the buttons on the remote and im not sure if its possible. When i press up/down on the centre button it brings me to the single epg - what id like to happen here is for the channel banner to scroll (the same way sky does)

is there any way to do that with my current image etc?

Cheers,
Mick

micks_address
19-02-12, 21:28
also guys, anyone any suggestions on reducing the noise of the Duo? Im not sure if its the hard disk or the fan (guessing fan) would removing the fan and inserting rubber washers etc help? Cheers, mick

punisher
19-02-12, 22:12
picons for me never work if i just transfer them to the flash, the image just doesnt recognise them. in order for the image to recognise them in flash i have to download a set of picons from plugins feeds and set them to be placed in flash, then replace the ones in flash with the ones i want and then they work fine

Stanman
19-02-12, 22:14
hi guys,

i have a picons folder on the duo (see attached screenshot) not sure why i cant see them on the epg.. maybe someone might upload a screenshot of what they look like in the epg?

Also I want to change the behaviour of the buttons on the remote and im not sure if its possible. When i press up/down on the centre button it brings me to the single epg - what id like to happen here is for the channel banner to scroll (the same way sky does)

is there any way to do that with my current image etc?

Cheers,
Mick
Are you talking about the multi channel EPG, if so when in it press MENU and than "enable PIG" and than items per page to 5 or and save.

micks_address
19-02-12, 23:49
Are you talking about the multi channel EPG, if so when in it press MENU and than "enable PIG" and than items per page to 5 or and save.
no basically when i press up/down i dont want an epg at all, i would like the channel banner to come up and be able to scroll through channels and then press the centre button to change channel.. same as sky etc.. cheers mick

19-02-12, 23:53
I've been trying out different images all weekend but decided to come back to ViX. I am also having the issue with the picons not showing in the EPG. - Even though my settings are as they were before.

Here are my settings:

Here is the EPG, not showing picons:

Here is the info bar, showing picon:

So obviously the picons work... Just not in the EPG. :confused:

Any ideas?

judge
20-02-12, 00:04
no basically when i press up/down i dont want an epg at all, i would like the channel banner to come up and be able to scroll through channels and then press the centre button to change channel.. same as sky etc.. cheers mick

press left/right on the circle button instead.

micks_address
20-02-12, 09:49
excellent - i can program my harmony to do left/right when i press up/down.. this is more for my wife than me as she wants it ala sky!

press left/right on the circle button instead.

micks_address
20-02-12, 09:49
Thats exactly whats happening on my setup!

I've been trying out different images all weekend but decided to come back to ViX. I am also having the issue with the picons not showing in the EPG. - Even though my settings are as they were before.

Here are my settings:

Here is the EPG, not showing picons:

Here is the info bar, showing picon:

So obviously the picons work... Just not in the EPG. :confused:

Any ideas?

Maxwell
20-02-12, 10:21
Try setting "Items per page" to 6

micks_address
20-02-12, 10:38
im at work right now, but i have my items per page set to 8 i think... will try reducing this evening

Larry-G
20-02-12, 11:19
usually i have mine set to show 10 but its now set to 14 and working perfectly with the SGTFlipFlop sky uk picons.

This is my setup.

p.s this is on the ultimo, although the exact same setup works fine on the duo as i have just tested this.

micks_address
20-02-12, 11:47
SGTFlipFlop picons?

usually i have mine set to show 10 but its now set to 14 and working perfectly with the SGTFlipFlop sky uk picons.

This is my setup.

p.s this is on the ultimo, although the exact same setup works fine on the duo as i have just tested this.

Larry-G
20-02-12, 12:01
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?2638-SGTFlipFlop-sky-uk-28-2-picons

micks_address
20-02-12, 12:13
so should be a case of downloading these and ftp'ig to my box? I have a picons folder on the hdd but if i want to ftp to flash - will there be a picons folder there to?

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?2638-SGTFlipFlop-sky-uk-28-2-picons

wullboy
20-02-12, 12:26
Your picons should go on to a USB stick, as this would stop your hdd firing up everytime you change channel, just download the picon file with the picons in them, and ftp them to your usb stick, just make sure that the usb stick is compatable with the box first m8.....

Larry-G
20-02-12, 12:26
if you want to use these ones delete the existing picons from your receiver are replace with these.

micks_address
20-02-12, 12:32
i have a sandisk cruzer blade 8gb usb stick - when i insert that in the Duo nothing happens.. do i need to mount it etc or something in the settings? What does it need to be formatted as? How do i tell the Duo then to store the epg/picons on the usb key?

Your picons should go on to a USB stick, as this would stop your hdd firing up everytime you change channel, just download the picon file with the picons in them, and ftp them to your usb stick, just make sure that the usb stick is compatable with the box first m8.....

Larry-G
20-02-12, 12:37
format the stick to FAT32 then place the picon folder on it.
now put the stick into a rear usb port on the box and reboot it. the image knows where to look, but you will have to delete all existing picon folders from your receiver.

micks_address
20-02-12, 12:42
to delete all existing folders - can i just delete via FTP browser on Dream box controller centre? Cheers, mick

format the stick to FAT32 then place the picon folder on it.
now put the stick into a rear usb port on the box and reboot it. the image knows where to look, but you will have to delete all existing picon folders from your receiver.

Larry-G
20-02-12, 12:45
if you can FTP into the box then yes just find and delete the picon folder.

micks_address
20-02-12, 12:47
Thanks - im sure i'll be back on tonight with more questions! thanks for being patient with a newbie!

if you can FTP into the box then yes just find and delete the picon folder.

Larry-G
20-02-12, 12:49
Thanks - im sure i'll be back on tonight with more questions! thanks for being patient with a newbie!

no worries, we all started somewhere. if you need help later just make a post and some one will help.

micks_address
20-02-12, 12:51
Thanks - I know i've seen them listed on the hard disk via FTP but if i want to delete the picons from the flash memory - will i also be able to see them via FTP browser? Cheers mick

no worries, we all started somewhere. if you need help later just make a post and some one will help.

Larry-G
20-02-12, 12:59
yes just FTP in and delete any folder you find called picon.

micks_address
20-02-12, 21:00
hi guys, reducing the number of items to 6 and now i have picons from my usb stick... i know they are from the stick as when i take it out they dissapear.. but im missing a few obvious ones like bbc one hd, bbc hd, itv hd etc.. where to now?

micks_address
21-02-12, 10:16
hi guys, should i be able to directly FTP to the USB stick I have attached to the DUO? Cheers, mick

Sicilian
21-02-12, 10:18
hi guys, should i be able to directly FTP to the USB stick I have attached to the DUO? Cheers, mick

Why dont you try? ;)

In anser to your question, yes. /media/usb

micks_address
21-02-12, 10:38
i was trying last night but couldnt see it.. all i can see is the hard disk - im using dreambox controller though - not sure if that makes any difference?

Why dont you try? ;)

In anser to your question, yes. /media/usb

Sicilian
21-02-12, 10:41
Try FTP software like filezilla.

User = root
Password leave blank unless you have set one.

micks_address
21-02-12, 18:54
Is there any downside to having multiple sets of picons copied in the picon folder on the USB stick from different sources?

Larry-G
21-02-12, 19:17
not especially although the receiver will only read from the one folder named picon but you can store multiple sets on the stick just rename their folders. you can also have picons for multiple satellites in the same picon folder.

micks_address
21-02-12, 19:45
but if you copy multiple sets of picons into the same picon folder?

not especially although the receiver will only read from the one folder named picon but you can store multiple sets on the stick just rename their folders. you can also have picons for multiple satellites in the same picon folder.

Larry-G
21-02-12, 19:49
That wont work as every new set you copy into there will upon finding files with the same names request you to over write them.

for example you could not have more than one set of sky uk picons in the same folder and keep the same file names for all files, most would either have to be deleted or renamed which would destroy the whole purpose of the picons in the first place.

micks_address
21-02-12, 21:21
Thanks I think i finally got it sorted - cheers! One more question (for today) is it possible to set audio via HDMI to be stereo and Audio via optical to be 5.1? The reason I ask is that i have optical to my receiver for 5.1 but hdmi direct to my tv so my wife can watch tv without turning on the receiver. This way though when she switches to a channel with 5.1 audio the tv is silent.. maybe there's a setting on the tv i play around with.

micks_address
22-02-12, 09:00
Thanks for all your help over the last few days guys. I've pretty much finished tinkering now.. so can finally start to just watch tv :)

Still a few picons to add in but in no panic with these. Few more questions

1) The channel zap function when you scroll left/right - is there anyway to get it to scroll and not change channel until you press the middle button ala sky?
2) Is there anyway to disable the channel list appearing when you press the up/down on the centre button
3) Re my audio question earlier - is there a plugin/setting that will allow me to send stereo audio via HDMI and 5.1 via optical?
4) I have my picons stored on usb stick - how do i get the epg onto it?
5) Skins - is the best source of skins - under download new plugins/vix/skins? I downloaded and installed the day vx one and it caused the box to crash twice.. experimenting with magic hd and magic hd lite.. ideally looking for the fastest and most user friendly version out there.
6) Series link - ok if i go into the epg and select a program and then press green button for add timer - then select repeat/frequency - is this the closest to series link i can get? Is there a plugin i could download to improve/make things easier?

Anyway as i say thanks for the patience shown in ansering questions so far.. have to say getting to grips with things is a little daunting at first.. i work in IT so know a bit about FTP etc.. otherwise i think id be lost! and even more lost without your help!

Cheers,
Mick

micks_address
22-02-12, 09:38
One more question guys - I tried to do an image backup last night to the USB key and it got to about 81 percent and stalled. Would I be short on space for the backup? The USB key is 4gb

Cheers,
Mick

Larry-G
22-02-12, 14:31
Its normal for the backup manager / image managers to pause at certain points. leave it for a few minutes to complete.

22-02-12, 18:53
About series link:

If you press blue instead of green you'll add an auto timer. Here you can add filters such as "only on Tuesdays" so you'll only get recordings of new episodes instead of repeats.

This is also good for schedule change as the auto timer will update the timer.

micks_address
26-02-12, 20:18
guys, box frooze this evening and VIX animation logo came up.. after a few minutes looking at stuck screen i killed the power, but now when i turn back on it just says starting on the lcd with red light and nothing happens after that.. have i done damage? cheers,
mick

micks_address
26-02-12, 20:40
still wont boot but it was in the middle of recording when i cut the power, thats due to end at 8.30 so hoping then it might start up properly again

micks_address
26-02-12, 23:33
got sorted - i actually just installed the blackhole image so getting to grips with that.. cheers, mick

Sicilian
26-02-12, 23:51
got sorted - i actually just installed the blackhole image so getting to grips with that.. cheers, mick

Re-flashing hasn't sorted anything. You should have looked at what started your issue with ViX and provide more info.

For instance, how many EPG sources did you have setup? EPG settings correct? What plugins did you have installed? You could have telnet'ed into the receiver and done the top command, this may have given you some idea if the issue.

micks_address
27-02-12, 11:17
Hi, think I might know what happened, yesterday I tried doing an image backup but it failed half way throughout. When I rebooted the box must have tried to do somethingiwith the corrupt back up. Think ill try going back to vix tonight as prefer the epg. Can you point me to latest copy of image to download? Cheers Mick

Sicilian
27-02-12, 12:28
Navbar at the top of forum, ViX support centre > VU+ Duo ViX images download ;)

micks_address
28-02-12, 11:05
well im back with Vix, only few minutes to get back to fully working setup so delighted. Cheers, mick

micks_address
28-02-12, 20:40
few more questions - re timeshift - is there any harm leaving permanent timeshift on? Also file format - should i be using ext 3 or convert to ext4 for the harddrive?

Sicilian
28-02-12, 21:17
few more questions - re timeshift - is there any harm leaving permanent timeshift on? Also file format - should i be using ext 3 or convert to ext4 for the harddrive?

No leaving PTS on, this will allow live rewind ;)

Convert to EXT4.

micks_address
28-02-12, 21:36
One more if you dont mind! On the tv listing - (not the epg with picons) most channels show now/next info - but i have two which dont - they are greyed out, but let me select them and i can view the channel - its like the now/next info is missing from them in the all tvs channels listing? Cheers, mick and thanks again for all the help!

Sicilian
28-02-12, 21:37
One more if you dont mind! On the tv listing - (not the epg with picons) most channels show now/next info - but i have two which dont - they are greyed out, but let me select them and i can view the channel - its like the now/next info is missing from them in the all tvs channels listing? Cheers, mick and thanks again for all the help!

Post a screenshot of what your looking at please.

micks_address
28-02-12, 21:54
Will do - one more question - i cant seem to find the setting to convert ext3 to ext4 any more? where should i be looking? Defintely seen it before.. oh and is there an easy way to take a screenshot without using a camera :)

cheers,
mick

Sicilian
29-02-12, 19:18
Will do - one more question - i cant seem to find the setting to convert ext3 to ext4 any more? where should i be looking? Defintely seen it before.. oh and is there an easy way to take a screenshot without using a camera :)

cheers,
mick

Did you originally initlialize the HDD in VIX 2.3.204? If so it will already be EXT 4. Look in menu > setup > system > harddisk.