PDA

View Full Version : HDD not recognised

Alexk
13-02-12, 12:28
Hi. Since i upgraded my box's software, my hard disk has become invisible. The box just doesn't see my hdd and if I go into Mount Image, there's nothing there. Any ideas as what can cause this and how to fix it?

Sicilian
13-02-12, 12:41
Has it been initialized correctly? Menu > Setup > System > Harddisk.

mcquaim
13-02-12, 12:43
If you look in the Harddisk menu (Menu-->Setup-->System-->Harddisk) does it show up there? Or even in the Menu-->Information menu?

mcquaim
13-02-12, 12:44
Beat me to it Sic, sorry for double post...

Alexk
13-02-12, 12:52
If you look in the Harddisk menu (Menu-->Setup-->System-->Harddisk) does it show up there? Or even in the Menu-->Information menu?

Harddisk doesn't even appear as an option in the System menu. Probably not a good sign!

Sicilian
13-02-12, 12:58
I'd take the lid off and make sure its connected. Failing that, remove from Duo and connect to PC to ensure the HDD is funtioning.

ekkostar
13-02-12, 21:55
Some images can be problematic and don't recognise the HDD.

Solution.

Install VU original image, mount HDD, then reflash with your chosen image once again....usually works

Silent
14-02-12, 15:15
What happens if you telnet to the box and type:

mkfs.ext3 -m 1 /dev/sda1

Mine wouldn't format but it did see it and I had to use that command (which is better than formatting through the menu anyway).

ekkostar
14-02-12, 16:29
...or you could try removing the lid, unplug the SATA, reboot the machine and hotplug the SATA. That should work as well.

Sicilian
14-02-12, 16:37
...or you could try removing the lid, unplug the SATA, reboot the machine and hotplug the SATA. That should work as well.

Personally I would NOT recommend that to anyone unless they are fully aware of the LIVE ELECTRICAL parts inside!

ekkostar
14-02-12, 17:28
Personally I would NOT recommend that to anyone unless they are fully aware of the LIVE ELECTRICAL parts inside!

The SATA connector on the drive is not live, it's actually not that different to plugging in an externally powered drive at the back. Hotplugging is not about the power cable to the HDD only the SATA.

Of course you have the lid off, but I would assume anyone with knowledge of a DUO and had already installed a HDD would be technically savvy enough to have a little common sense of what to touch or not i.e PSU

Of course if you are not that savvy then best stay out.

Sicilian
14-02-12, 17:31
The SATA connector on the drive is not live, it's actually not that different to plugging in an externally powered drive at the back. Hotplugging is not about the power cable only the SATA.

Of course you have the lid off, but I would assume anyone with knowledge of a DUO would be technically savvy to have a little common sense of what to touch or not i.e PSU

Theres many live parts, not just the psu!

Its safer to remove the HDD and plug into a pc to test functionality.

ekkostar
14-02-12, 17:54
Theres many live parts, not just the psu!

Its safer to remove the HDD and plug into a pc to test functionality.

Not disagreeing with you but you do realise that even with the machine switched off, removing the hard drive and accidentally touching parts in the process ie Capacitors can do you as much damage ?

Testing functionality with a PC may not actually solve the problem, just identifies that you have a working HDD. The Duo is quirky with some brands of HDD's so may still not work.

If you have a HDD that is not recognised, I would firstly suggest re-installing the original VU image, formatting drive and then reflash to an image of your choice. If you are more technically competent then try Hotplug. If you are unsure of what you are doing, then obviously do not try this.

Personally I have found that some of the brands that people claim they cannot get working with the Duo do in fact actually work, especially non-working HDD's after flashing images.

Sicilian
14-02-12, 18:08
Not disagreeing with you but you do realise that even with the machine switched off, removing the hard drive and accidentally touching parts in the process ie Capacitors can do you as much damage ?

Not if its powered off and unplugged from the mains for a few mins.

Testing functionality with a PC may not actually solve the problem, just identifies that you have a working HDD. The Duo is quirky with some brands of HDD's so may still not work.

Read the first post of this thread. The HDD was originally working, so functionality needs to be tested. If the HDD is dead its pointless doing anything else.

ekkostar
14-02-12, 19:54
Not if its powered off and unplugged from the mains for a few mins.
Read the first post of this thread. The HDD was originally working, so functionality needs to be tested. If the HDD is dead its pointless doing anything else.

Some caps retain a charge for days

The original post clearly says the issue has come about after a new image installation

Sicilian
14-02-12, 20:03
From the first post

Hi. Since i upgraded my box's software, my hard disk has become invisible.

If its was recognised before, theres no reason for it be recognised now.

Anyway, we'll wait for the OP to update this thread.