PDA

View Full Version : Security question

Markymark
11-02-12, 19:31
Are there any obvious security holes in the VIX image or with the default setup?

I've changed my root password when I first had the box, but other than that, not done much more. Should I be doing anything else to ensure that my box is secure?

Also is mg cam more secure than cccam these days?

Larry-G
11-02-12, 19:40
if some one were to gain access to my receiver i'd be more concerned about the router security / pc than the receiver.

Markymark
11-02-12, 19:44
So is there any way in which I can test my router security?

Markymark
11-02-12, 20:12
It's like cccam. Should I use 1.4 or lower? Seems that people keep saying anything more and it's a security risk. Is there any truth in all this?

Stanman
11-02-12, 20:59
It's like cccam. Should I use 1.4 or lower? Seems that people keep saying anything more and it's a security risk. Is there any truth in all this?
Nothing definitive but you should be OK up to 2.2.1.
Like pheonix said, if some one can get past your router, protecting the STB is the least of your worries.

Stanman
11-02-12, 20:59
So is there any way in which I can test my router security?
Yes have a read here
https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Markymark
12-02-12, 10:22
Thanks Stanman.

Problem is that the Internet is full of conflicting stories about cccam. Is 2.2.1 that much better technically than 2.1.4 as people talk about this version bring more secure.

Also is there any truth in the notion that a 2.3 version can "steal" info from a lower cccam version?

Then I start to question if better cams exist - is mgcamd or osam more secure?

Stanman
12-02-12, 18:51
Used them all and never had any issues, saying that theres probably some one set in Russia laughing at this as I type:D

People more experienced and knowledgeable than me say 2.2.1 is fine and I have not experienced anything personally to say its not. IMHO go for which ever your happy and assured in using.

satplustv
15-02-12, 20:00
Please do not laugh but how do you change the default password ?

Larry-G
15-02-12, 20:06
you can either login via a telnet session and issue the PASSWD command, or if using ViX you can download a plugin from the feeds that will do the same thing.

satplustv
15-02-12, 20:10
I have a BH image and use DCC normaly can i do it within that program ?

Stanman
15-02-12, 20:46
yes go to the telnet side bar and do it via that
type passwd and change it to whatever u want

satplustv
15-02-12, 21:08
I do not use TELNET I use DCC ?

Larry-G
15-02-12, 21:09
when you enter the passwd command dont worry if you dont see the new password as you type it it's still working.

satplustv
15-02-12, 21:22
I am not sure what you mean how do i do it ?

Larry-G
15-02-12, 21:25
it's been several years since i used DCC but if i remember correctly it has a telnet client built in, open this client and login to the box then issue the passwd command.

satplustv
15-02-12, 21:35
Had a look but i am finding it difficult to understand what i am supposed to do so will wait until somebody that has used DCC recently can give me a guide as i do not want to c*ck up my receiver :eek:

Stanman
15-02-12, 21:58
I do not use TELNET I use DCC ?

If you actually took the time to read and follow the instructions than you wouldn't need to shout!

The post was in response to yours saying you use DCC and informing you how you could do it:rolleyes:

satplustv
15-02-12, 22:36
Yes i read it, and saw telnet in DCC but i do not understand what to do to change my password as i can see NO option to change or save the password when i click on telnet ?

Maybe it would be helpful if you posted the steps:

1.Log on to your box
2. click on telnet on the left
3. ?
4.?
5.?
etc etc etc

:)

Larry-G
15-02-12, 22:39
when you have started the telnet session type passwd this will initiate the password reset protocol. then you just type the new password in and hit enter, then again and it's done.

satplustv
15-02-12, 22:50
Thats what i am talking about very clear instructions sorted thank you very much :)