PDA

View Full Version : HDD questions.

iQi
09-02-12, 20:00
Hi everyone

I have a Vu+ Uno running ViX latest image.

Today I installed a 2TB HDD and everything went fine and its up and running. But I cannot do few things:
1. EPG location stays on flash and doesn't offer a way of relocating EPG files to HDD to save memory space?
2. Is it possible to point some functions to HDD instead of Flash, like picons etc?
3. What to keep on flash and what to move?

Would highly appreciate your help with this

panda23
09-02-12, 20:06
If you go into MENU-SETUP-EPG you can choose what location the EPG data is stored on, i have my Picons on my USB but some people recommend that they should be on flash as it speeds up the box,if they are on the HDD then the spinning of the disc can slow the box down.

Rob van der Does
10-02-12, 08:13
2. Is it possible to point some functions to HDD instead of Flash, like picons etc?
3. What to keep on flash and what to move?
Flash, RAM & HDD are very different things. Why would you want to move e.g. picons from the flash to the HDD? You have plenty of flash, and it is the fastest location available. HDD is the slowest place to use, especially if the HDD is asleep. So for picons flash is the very best location, HDD the worst.
EPG can be stored in flash or on HDD. Normally the amount of flash will be sufficient, but changes are that epg.dat become large.
epg.dat is only read on system startup (and then the HDD spins up anyway), and written on system shutdown (and if the HDD is asleeep at that time it wil spin up). All in all I would suggest to locate the epg.dat on HDD.

iQi
11-02-12, 08:18
Thanks RVD,

I thought that flash memory is used as RAM by the system, so better to keep its unused space large and clean. If that is not the case, then I assume there is no harm to use most of flash mem and it will not slow down the system or cause crashes, right?

Rob van der Does
11-02-12, 08:54
I thought that flash memory is used as RAM by the system, so better to keep its unused space large and clean. If that is not the case, then I assume there is no harm to use most of flash mem and it will not slow down the system or cause crashes, right?
Correct. But there must always be some flash free: during normal operations the system will write small files to flash; if that isn't possible, a crash will occur.