PDA

View Full Version : Channel Settings

BadBoy
09-02-12, 00:13
Why are only silverfox settings ever updated?, all the rest are from last year?

Is there another plugin which can obtain up to date settings other than having to use dreambox edit?

basilyoung
09-02-12, 00:28
silverfox ( MOD on this forum ) simply likes to contribute a very good channel list, from which we all benifit

The VIX team, ( a small group ) are about getting good images working, solving techy issues

and do not have time to have updated listings, due to constant changes, which are dealt with by the likes of Catseye, paradogg,ciefp,calton,likra,rytec, the list goes on, also, dependant on your preferred listings, some not used by the VIX images, not becuase they are not wanted, but becuase how many listings are needed, and keeping them upto date on the servers is a problem

There is a need, for any linux based user, to do a certain amount of work, to maintain there units, and the varibles are massive, channel listings, although most used, are a small part of a linux unit

there are images that do prioritize channel listings, its down to personal preferences really, but other images, would perhaps carry there own "why nots"

BadBoy
09-02-12, 00:43
From a usability point of view and keeping things simple, ie Vix this is the only downfall that I see. It's not an issue for me but I its almost standard across other images.

Silverfox settings are ideal if you don't live in Scotland :)

basilyoung
09-02-12, 00:54
From a usability point of view and keeping things simple, ie Vix this is the only downfall that I see. It's not an issue for me but I its almost standard across other images.

Silverfox settings are ideal if you don't live in Scotland :)

Well that exactly explains my comment on listings, and yes as stated, other images do surport reg updated listings, the needs of an individual, in the end if not meet by the popular listings, need to be done via DB edit but with the basic listing, you can easily modify it, and post your own listing, ( with thanks of course to the orig list writer )

but your comments will be welcome, but doubt it will change things, as far as VIX goes, but it might do

BadBoy
09-02-12, 01:03
I personally use dbuk front end as its much simpler and less time consuming.

Its a shame if its not taken on board.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

silverfox0786
09-02-12, 19:37
I personally use dbuk front end as its much simpler and less time consuming.

Its a shame if its not taken on board.

what your saying is basically yr lazy to do a bit of work yr self

B16MCC made a top notch front end which i and other mods help to maintain channel wise

same as the vix feeds which i also maintain

to update them takes alot of time and effert as each and every setting needs to be downloaded, decompressed, put into correct format, then recompressed using a linux machine in tar format

then they need to be uploaded to the server and once done the bitbake, inc and meta files need updating and pushing to the git

and even before i can push them just so i made no mistakes i do a test build which takes 3 hours on my PC

so its not an easy task and all so you guys have a quick and easy install

rather than have to do the bdedit work yrself

for that reason i do them in steps when i have a good amounyt of updated settings posted

as for mine there is only 2 settings so i can do then blindly without needing to do a test build asd i already compressed them they way they are needed

with that said........

all channels have been updated on the server, when andyblac updates feeds they will show on yr box

https://www.assembla.com/code/openvix/git/changesets/75d6455f84f15d49c95867da12b6c73cac2969d4

BadBoy
09-02-12, 19:42
No, not lazy at all. I will probably create my own update using dbuk front end.

Why show all those settings within the image if you are not going to keep them updated.

Dbuk have a plugin, why can't vix?

Larry-G
09-02-12, 19:45
personally i have never in 10 years of using E1 and E2 receivers downloaded a bouquet file from the feeds, i always manually download the exact files i need and transfer them to my receiver using DBE. i can update all 3 of my E2 machines and 4 E1 machines in under 5 minutes and with very little effort on my part.

Larry-G
09-02-12, 19:47
No, not lazy at all. I will probably create my own update using dbuk front end.

Why show all those settings within the image if you are not going to keep them updated.

Dbuk have a plugin, why can't vix?

the DBUK plugin was written by rossi and connects to a database that has to be manually and continually updated with every single change, this process takes time, i know this as i am one of those who maintains the database.