PDA

View Full Version : EPG sources for use in the Uk with 28.2 / 28.5

stu_iow
08-02-12, 15:27
What is the best setup and sources to select for getting EPG data?

I want obviously all data for 28.2/28.5.
I used to just click anything relevant to 28.2 but i am very wary of data size now as i have had instability issues recently, so just want the best options selected now.
Many thanks,
Stuart

pooface
08-02-12, 15:38
crossepg opentv.

Depending on your satellites.xml, you will need to use 28.2 or 28.4. You don't need both ;)

mrhdooley
08-02-12, 16:20
with the file size, try changing the epg location to a hard drive and/or use a swap flle. I download the epg for 7 days for a lot more than 28E without problems.

stu_iow
08-02-12, 18:21
OK, done as pooface has suggested, just 28.2, crossepg, opentv. All looks well so far.

Problem i was having was the box was freezing up at random times during the day with it in standby, i wa assuming memory was the key, but mrhdooley has reminded me, all epg data is put onto a seperate usb stick that is purely for picons, and epg data and anything else that i want to have instant access to without hdd spinup.

WIll see how that goes over teh next few days.
Thanks for assistance guys

Rob van der Does
08-02-12, 19:08
EPG data is always in RAM. The file epg.dat is solely for storage, when the system goes/is down. So EPG data is always readily available: you can even delete epg.dat when the system is alive. And EPG can use a huge amount of RAM: the low memory boxes can often have problems if you downloaded very much data.

pooface
08-02-12, 19:23
As Rob said... Where you store the epg data doesn't matter. As e2 starts, it reads the epg.dat file, and loads it to memory... So, the vu solo doesn't work as well for large epg as the vu ultimo for example...

stu_iow
08-02-12, 19:30
Can i find out how much RAM my duo has free and how much is being used, and by what processes/epg?

Hopefully by taking the above actions, i will have cured the freezing up issues.

Rob van der Does
08-02-12, 19:35
If you install 'systemtools for ppanels' you get a number of tools. a.o. for that purpose.
Easy via the GUI, no telnet or so needed.
It's available via the plugin browser.

You find it under blue--> ppanels --> systemtools --> pick-your-choice

mrhdooley
08-02-12, 20:37
Does a swap file help with the ram problems, in particular with epg? I have a duo with swap file and epg data for about 10 sats and have no problems with my epg.

pooface
08-02-12, 20:56
It's recommended not to use a swap file. My own tests with a swap file, are that it really slows the system down! USB/HDD is just not as fast as ram/flash, and causes requests to be much much slower... I'd recommend not to use a flash...

mrhdooley
08-02-12, 21:11
i am going to turn swap off and see! I remember in the past when VIX was not running PLI, VIX advice was to use a swapfile, particularly if epg had problems, downloading etc, and PLI advised not to use swap file, its always been a confusing one for me. I am going to give it a go switched off.

Rob van der Does
08-02-12, 21:57
It is confusing indeed.
Normally a SWAP-file shouldn't be needed. However: there are circumstances you have to.
The box automatically makes a temporary SWAP in special circumstances, such as during EPG-import, an online update and creating a backup image. So no worries there.
If you are using a very large EPG import, chances are (on Solo, DUO and ET5000) that the box runs short on memory. This can make the box very sluggish, or even lead to an Enigma restart (no crash, so no crashlog). Then, and only then, a SWAP might be useful.
And of course: it's your box, so if you want to, you can always enable SWAP.

mrhdooley
08-02-12, 22:09
Thanks, I will do some tests with and without and see what works for my setup.