PDA

View Full Version : EXT formatting (how can i do this in win 7) ?

SLOTH
04-08-10, 15:40
Hi guys
as it says above , i have just received my new samsung 500gb Hdd for my Vu+ Duo , and as i understand it , it needs formatting in (ext) ... is it possible to do this using windows 7 .if not how can it be done .
thanks in advance
Sloth :D

Sicilian
04-08-10, 15:48
Try installing it on the Duo and initializing it from the Duo interface.

SLOTH
04-08-10, 15:58
thanks mate .... was gonna do that ...but thought i,d read some were you have to format it with ext !.
cheers
Sloth

Sicilian
04-08-10, 16:03
thanks mate .... was gonna do that ...but thought i,d read some were you have to format it with ext !.
cheers
Sloth

Try the simplest first and let us know how you get on.

SLOTH
04-08-10, 16:26
:D sicilian seems to be working a treat ! :).
SLoth

Sicilian
04-08-10, 16:30
SLoth

Cool, its nice when the simple methods work :)

sacha35
05-08-10, 07:54
SLoth

Good news your drive is working, if you or anyone else wants to know how to format, using Win7 here some info.

1. Open Computer Management by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, clicking Administrative Tools, and then double-clicking Computer Management. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

2. In the Navigation pane, under Storage, click Disk Management.

3. Right-click an unallocated region on your hard disk, and then click New Simple Volume.

4. In the New Simple Volume Wizard, click next.

5. Type the size of the volume you want to create in megabytes (MB) or accept the maximum default size, and then click next.

6. Accept the default drive letter or choose a different drive letter to identify the partition, and then click next.

7. In the Format Partition dialog box, do one of the following:
If you do not want to format the volume right now, click do not format this volume, and then click next.
To format the volume with the default settings, click next.

8. Review your choices, and then click Finish.

SLOTH
05-08-10, 07:59
Hi Sacha35
thats exactly what i did , but was looking to format in ext mode and that option wasnt available , in the end i just formatted it in fat32 and stuck it in to the Vu and then it found it straight away .
cheers
Sloth

pooface
05-08-10, 11:03
One problem that you might encounter though, if it's still in fat32 format, is that it is unable to record files of over 4gb to it... Try recording a hd channel that lasts over 2 hours. If it's in fat 32, you'll probably find that it won't record half the programme...

SLOTH
05-08-10, 11:38
Oh Dear ...thats not good ! ...so how can i format it as (ext ) ?
cheers
sloth

Sicilian
05-08-10, 12:13
Menu > System > Hardrive > HDD Initialize. Sorry thought you'd done that.

SLOTH
05-08-10, 15:34
Hi Sici yeh i did that once i,d installed it ! ...so it should be ok right ?
Sloth

pooface
05-08-10, 15:40
Yeah, if you did that after installing it, it's alright.

I though you meant you'd installed the hdd after formatting it as fat32, and it picked it up ok then (without initialising it). Sorry for the confusion...

SLOTH
05-08-10, 15:46
no probs guys .....i did exactly that POOface ...formatted it as Fat32 then installed it and initialised it once in the Vu + phew !!1
cheers
chaps
Sloth