PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Uno] VIX Power Manager

panda23
07-02-12, 20:51
I understand the basics of the power manager but looking for some advice of how other people have got their STB setup. So have a few questions in relation to the settings.
1. What is the difference between a normal standby and a deep standby?
2.What is Gui Restart?
At present i have my box set to Reboot at 4am and then into Standby at 4:10am , it would be interesting to see how others have got theirs set-up and what difference the other 2 settings(Gui Restart & Deep Standby) could make to mine. Cheers

Markymark
07-02-12, 21:49
Deep standby shuts basically everything down, where stand by leaves most parts still running.

Larry-G
07-02-12, 21:49
1. normal standby just disables the video output and a few other things, the box it self is still live and you can still telnet / FTP into it during this time. deep standby is almost a total shutdown and power off.

2. a gui restart is basically where the box is rebooted, in the same way you would reboot your pc.

panda23
07-02-12, 21:55
2. a gui restart is basically where the box is rebooted, in the same way you would reboot your pc.

So a gui restart is the same as a reboot but without a short power down that you get with a reboot?

Larry-G
07-02-12, 22:00
it reboots the enigma 2 operating system of the box.

panda23
07-02-12, 22:36
it reboots the enigma 2 operating system of the box.

I take it a Reboot does that also?

Larry-G
07-02-12, 23:05
I take it a Reboot does that also?

yes it does.

Rob van der Does
08-02-12, 07:57
There are several misunderstandings here:

- The Menu option 'Restart Enigma2' just restarts the application Enigma2

- 'The Menu option 'Restart' executes a reboot, just as rebooting a PC does: a complete restart of the operating system (and hence also of the application Enigma2).

- 'Deep Standby' is in fact 'off'; powerconsumtion will be <1W; the only remaining activities are an IR-watch (so you can switch on the box using your R/C) and a timer (allowing recordings to start in time).

- 'Standby' is a state where all functions remain active; only audio and video-outputs are switched off (and most boxes also switch off the LNB-power). Powerconsumption is almost the same as when 'on', depending on if and how many recordings are in progress.

Enigma2 is an application that runs on top of the Operating System: it is the application that supports and controls the GUI as well as most user functions (frontend). So all tuning/recording/watching etc is done by E2.

Edit: forgot to say: the operating system is Linux.

panda23
08-02-12, 19:29
Thanks Rob, that explanation helps a great deal. Cheers :thumbsup:

satnav
12-02-12, 22:59
Rob I have an issue with power manager in that it will not turn box back on as in your quote you refere to a timer I asume you mean the one within power manager!

- 'Deep Standby' is in fact 'off'; powerconsumtion will be <1W; the only remaining activities are an IR-watch (so you can switch on the box using your R/C) and a timer (allowing recordings to start in time).

Cheers.

Rob van der Does
13-02-12, 05:06
Rob I have an issue with power manager in that it will not turn box back on as in your quote you refere to a timer I asume you mean the one within power manager!

Sorry, I don't know what you mean exactly.
But whatever the settings in the powermanager recordings should always be made; either from deep sleep or from standby.
What the box does once the recording is finished (stay on/go to standby/go to deep sleep) depends on several settings.

stumpey
02-05-12, 08:02
Sorry to trawl up an old post

As a newbie ( Vu+ Uno) I am trawling the old posts ( sad I know) but I have to ask why would you want to reboot the box every night. VU+ runs on Linux they dont need constant rebooting Linux manages itself very nicely , I have 2 Linux servers here at work and 1 at home that have not been rebooted in almost a year they chug along very nicely. My advice would be not to keep rebooting the box unless you have too. Unless somebody has a reason to reboot every night then I am all ears :)

Steve

Rob van der Does
02-05-12, 13:54
There should be no good reason to reboot on a regular basis. The box should be able to run for months without any interruption.

pooface
02-05-12, 14:35
There should be no good reason to reboot on a regular basis. The box should be able to run for months without any interruption.

Unless you have other problems...

Some people have problems with epg import, and so to clear out the memory to do an import, perform a restart...

But again, in the same breath, some users perform a deep standby every night ... this is exaclty the same as a restart, except just a delayed startup...

stumpey
02-05-12, 14:59
Then ( in my humble opinion ) you are just covering up an unresolved issue which should be addressed! It would either be a problem with the image or a setting problem made by the user....

Unless you have other problems...

Some people have problems with epg import, and so to clear out the memory to do an import, perform a restart...

But again, in the same breath, some users perform a deep standby every night ... this is exaclty the same as a restart, except just a delayed startup...

Linux is not windows it does not require constant reboots when you install updates add a new programme or change something, it also does not create thousands of temp files each time it does something filling up your storage , anyway just my 2 penny worth :)

Steve

pooface
02-05-12, 15:06
Then ( in my humble opinion ) you are just covering up an unresolved issue which should be addressed! It would either be a problem with the image or a setting problem made by the user....

Linux is not windows it does not require constant reboots when you install updates add a new programme or change something, it also does not create thousands of temp files each time it does something filling up your storage , anyway just my 2 penny worth :)

Steve

Yes, we all know that... But this isn't a full blown linux either is it?

stumpey
02-05-12, 15:27
No argument intended , Enigma has been around for over 10 years and is a mature Linux distro, just thought it was strange to reboot the box each night ...

Steve

pooface
02-05-12, 16:00
No argument intended , Enigma has been around for over 10 years and is a mature Linux distro, just thought it was strange to reboot the box each night ...

Steve

Never said you were. Always good to have a healthy debate :D

Other people use it as a way to ensure that cccam is always running (altho vix has a built in cam check to ensure that your cam is always running)...

There are lots of possibilities

stumpey
02-05-12, 16:18
Having been a blackhole user in the past so far I have been impressed with vix its nice and stable and does not require constantly fiddling... Which is always good :-)

Steve

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2