PDA

View Full Version : Surround sound via HDMI

Granty
07-02-12, 20:17
Hi Guys,

I have my VU+ Duo set up via HDMI to an amp and then the amp to the TV so both the video and audio feeds directly into the amp, just as I have all my devices set up.

I can't seem to get it to pass surround sound though. I've turned downsampling off but can't find anything else obvious in vix 2.3 to change settings?

Can anyone help?

Receiver is a Sony HT-DDWG800.

Thanks in advance,

Granty

Foxylady
07-02-12, 21:01
I have the pioneer BSX520 amp with 4 hdmi outputs.
I simply do not use them.
In order to get crystal sound via box, xbox, media player i use the optical cable direct from amp to the tv so anything that connects to the tv gives the sound.
The devices, i connect to hdmi ports on tv.
Hope that's helps thou i know it doesn't answer your question fully as regards the video and sound via hdmi, but i thought i'd give you another alternative which has never given me an issues ;)

Sandman
07-02-12, 21:16
Hi Guys,

I have my VU+ Duo set up via HDMI to an amp and then the amp to the TV so both the video and audio feeds directly into the amp, just as I have all my devices set up.

I can't seem to get it to pass surround sound though. I've turned downsampling off but can't find anything else obvious in vix 2.3 to change settings?

Can anyone help?

Receiver is a Sony HT-DDWG800.

Thanks in advance,

Granty

Do you just get stereo on every channel?

What about the movie channels?

Tyler
07-02-12, 21:24
Did you go to audio and change sound to AC3 audio.
Make sure audio downmix is off.
Also check a different hdmi lead some cheaper ones don't pass audio correctly at times

Rob van der Does
08-02-12, 11:06
AC3 via HDMI works perfectly well.

And as the signal is identical to the SP/DiF signal, I fail to see how there could possibly be any difference in quality between those two.

Tyler
08-02-12, 11:56
AC3 via HDMI works perfectly well.

And as the signal is identical to the SP/DiF signal, I fail to see how there could possibly be any difference in quality between those two.

There is no difference between carrying sound through hdmi or Optical

Trial
08-02-12, 12:31
Hi,
au contraire HDMI is much more versatile then SP/DIF. If I have a choice I use HDMI. As already said check if you have selected a AC3 track and if it is 5.1. On your AVR check if you have assigned audio to the correct HDMI port and if your HDMI settings are OK. On my Onkyo I have the option to pass through HDMI audio to the TV and in this case I only have stereo on my AVR. When I disable pass through I have 5.1.

ciao

guff daddy
08-02-12, 13:21
I have the pioneer BSX520 amp with 4 hdmi outputs.
I simply do not use them.
In order to get crystal sound via box, xbox, media player i use the optical cable direct from amp to the tv so anything that connects to the tv gives the sound.
The devices, i connect to hdmi ports on tv.
Hope that's helps thou i know it doesn't answer your question fully as regards the video and sound via hdmi, but i thought i'd give you another alternative which has never given me an issues ;)

Depending on the TV this setup could be incorrect - for example, my Samsung will only pass the stereo signal through the SP/DiF connection - no AC3/Dolby or DTS.
Also note - it's doubtful that your amp has 4 HDMI outputs - much more likely to be 3 inputs and 1 output...;)

Generally setup should be (if amp has HDMI inputs) connect all devices with HDMI to the amp via HDMI and connect amp to TV via HDMI - switch off TV sound and use amp sound.

Anything that doesn't have HDMI connects to the amp via component or scart and if it the device has SP/DiF then connect it to the amp via optical.

Granty
09-02-12, 19:30
Thank you for all your help - I was being really stupid and missed the audio button on the remote. I went through every menu, read the instructions and almost give up then saw that!

micks_address
13-02-12, 10:41
im glad it can do 5.1 via HDMI - one of the things that really annoy me about my Sky HD box.. getting a Duo later in the week, so really looking forward to trying it out..

digi247
13-02-12, 12:38
im glad it can do 5.1 via HDMI - one of the things that really annoy me about my Sky HD box.. getting a Duo later in the week, so really looking forward to trying it out..

Actually the New Multiroom Non Recordable SkyHD DRX-595 box transmits DD 5.1 via the HDMI, It appears sky have finally seen sense but i doubt the DRX-890/895 will be able to will have to see what happens on the next gen of sky receivers.