PDA

View Full Version : Force tuner for specific channels?

steford
03-08-10, 13:54
I have a fixed dish (13E) on Tuner B and a motorised on Tuner A. I'd like to reserve B just for my wife's 2 favourite channels with all other 13E channels utilising Tuner A. Currently this doesn't seem to happen. Is there an easy way to do this or am I back into DBEdit? Can it be defined there and if so applied to multipe (all) channels at the same time?

Thanks.

Sicilian
03-08-10, 16:28
You cant assign tuner priority to certain channels. The receiver will choose the free tuner.

So for instance if you recording on 13E and want to watch some programs 28.2E, it will record using fixed and turn the motor dish.

steford
03-08-10, 17:59
So say I'm watching football on 13E (fixed as I can't specify motorised) and then a timed recording starts for my wife the motorised dish will turn to 13E and start to record - all OK so far. If I then want to watch something on 19E before the recording has ended I'm stuck. Every inferior twin tuner receiver I've ever had (2 Topfields, Icecrypt, Fortec Star) could assign a specific tuner to a channel. Is there really no way around it? As much as I like the box I never get the feeling I'm in ultimate control of what it's doing :-(

EDIT: I guess I could remove 13E from my motorised list of sats - not ideal as I may want to watch something while a recording is happening. I guess I could also add a "dummy" 13E satellite for fixed and just have the single transponder on it - seems a shame. Does that seem feasible?

Sicilian
03-08-10, 18:27
Your fixed dish will record the channel on 13deg when you switch to 19deg with the motor dish. The receiver will automatically prioritise tuners. The OpenPLi images do have an option to assign tuner priority.

steford
03-08-10, 22:51
Would it change tuner mid recording? If it would then I'm sorted.

Sicilian
04-08-10, 05:40

Yes it will.

steford
04-08-10, 13:58
Wow! Will give that a go tonight for a test. If it can do that then all is good as is. Thanks.

malcolm159
09-08-10, 11:15

Yes it will.

Hi just tested this last night fixed dish as tuner 1 motorised on tuner 2 using dream elite image .Was recording two programs on 28e tuner 1 finished tuner 2 still recording tried to move to 1W box reported unable to move unavailable satellite so the tuner didn’t switch mid recording so I don’t think it works with dream elite .What is the image that you use that allows the tuners to switch or prioritize tuners.
Also notice that when say you have tuner 1fixed dish on sky news etc and setup a recording time for another program on the same satellite as the fixed dish the motorized dish moves using tuner 2 to recorded the program and still keeps the tuner 1 fixed dish on sky news again tying up the motorized dish.It would be nice if the fixed dish changed from sky news and freed up the motised dish
Thanks in advance.
Regards Malcolm

Sicilian
09-08-10, 13:15
What settings/bouquets are you using?

Some satelittes.xml file's have Astra 2 as 28.2 and 28.5.

Can you post your satellites.xml file here please.

malcolm159
09-08-10, 14:15

Hi thanks for reply using what ever is standard with dream elite image for the xml file and then doing a full scan for channels so i only select the satellites I want to view dont think thats got any thing to do with changing tuners because I use my own bouquets for the channels I require so if I select a channel on say my bouquet for 28e its 28e for both tuners as I usually select a channel from bouquet to record or view.I dont think it makes any difference to it changing tuners while recording to free up the motorised tuner 2 or to prioritizing tuners but I stand corrected if there is a setting to set this in the menu .Would be intersted in the image you said could do this will give it a try.
Thanks in advance
Regards Malcolm

Sicilian
09-08-10, 15:28
I think I know whats causing your issue, but need to take a look at your satellites.xml file to confirm. Can you post it?

pooface
09-08-10, 15:36
Also notice that when say you have tuner 1fixed dish on sky news etc and setup a recording time for another program on the same satellite as the fixed dish the motorized dish moves using tuner 2 to recorded the program and still keeps the tuner 1 fixed dish on sky news again tying up the motorized dish.It would be nice if the fixed dish changed from sky news and freed up the motised dish

Sounds like you're trying to record something at the time that you are watching the other channel. In which case, the box will act like that, as it expects you to want to carry on watching the channel you are on. Why not zap to the channel you want to record, and press the red button to add a timer?!

Sicilian
09-08-10, 15:39
Theres some satellites.xml's floating about that had Astra2 listed as 28.2 & 28.5. So if your recording a channels that on 28.5 the motor wont move.

Have you tried uploading say cateyes latest Enigma 2 settings? Then test if you still have the issue.

malcolm159
09-08-10, 16:34
Theres some satellites.xml's floating about that had Astra2 listed as 28.2 & 28.5. So if your recording a channels that on 28.5 the motor wont move.

Have you tried uploading say cateyes latest Enigma 2 settings? Then test if you still have the issue.

ok will do that but will probably be tomorrow night ,but I still cant see what the xml files got to do with freeing up the motorised dish if its pointing to 28e and recording a program then when I select another satillite that the box changes from tuner 2 motorised dish to continue recording the same program on fixed dish which is set at 28e so allowing the motorised disk to move to another satillite .
Thanks in advance
Regards Malcolm

Yes it will.

malcolm159
09-08-10, 23:41

Hi Checked xml file Astra 2 on
sat name="Astra 2/Eurobird 1 (28.2E)" flags="1" position="282">
and no other for Astra 2.
Regards Malcolm

Sicilian
10-08-10, 07:36
Hi Checked xml file Astra 2 on
sat name="Astra 2/Eurobird 1 (28.2E)" flags="1" position="282">
and no other for Astra 2.
Regards Malcolm

Ok cool, my guess was wrong then :o

Check this, press Menu > Setup > System > Recording > Check if theres some time set for recording before and after an event. Could be that your recordings are set to carry on a fews mins after the end of the program. Oh btw OpenPLi image allows you to set a tuner priority.

malcolm159
10-08-10, 08:54
Hi thanks for info I know the timers are set at no carry over .Ok on PLI image but what image was you refering to that would do below

Yes it will.
Thanks in advance
Regards Malcolm

Sicilian
10-08-10, 12:16
In theory all image's should do what you want. Providing the scenario is as the following example: -

Tuner A is recording say BBC1 until 6pm.

You now want to watch/record ITV and its recording from 5.30pm to 6.30pm so motor dish on Tuner B turns to 28.2E.

Its now 6.05pm (Tuner A has finished recording) and you want to watch BBC News on 1deg Thor, motor dish on Tuner B should turn to Thor and Tuner A will automatically take over recording of ITV.

I'm assuming the above scenario is what your looking for?

malcolm159
10-08-10, 14:00
In theory all image's should do what you want. Providing the scenario is as the following example: -

You now want to watch/record ITV and its recording from 5.30pm to 6.30pm so motor dish on Tuner B turns to 28.2E.

Its now 6.05pm (Tuner A has finished recording) and you want to watch BBC News on 1deg Thor, motor dish on Tuner B should turn to Thor and Tuner A will automatically take over recording of ITV.

Hi yes thats is exactly what i want but it doesn't do it on the dream elite image when i last tried it think, I'm using 1.3.3e not sure if 1.3.3f would do it didn't think they had updated it that much.Perhaps I should do an update and check unless any one else has tried and can report back.The whole idea of having the fixed dish was to free up the motorised dish which does have a twin lmb mounted on it but as we know this would not allow me to move away if recording or watching on one satillite and wanting to go to another satillite.
Thanks in advance
Regards Malcolm

malcolm159
14-08-10, 14:04

Hi just checked this out and while recording on 28e then trying to move to 1west by selecting bbc world news all programs are greyed out and reports no free tuner so it looks like the switching doesn't work any ideas will try to switch tuner 1 to motorised in setup and have fixed dish as tuner 2 that way tuner 2 should be first tuner selected to record hopefully leaveing tuner 1 now motorised dish free to move,Unless anyone else has sorted this problem out.
Thanks in advance
Regards Malcolm

Sicilian
15-08-10, 07:02
I just tested this out myself on VTI 1.3. Found that it doesn't work on VTI either :confused:

To test I recorded BBC1 on fixed dish. Then recorded ITV forcing motor dish to turn. I then stopped the recording on BBC1 and tried to switch to RAI1, but couldn't switch.

I'll test on OpenPLi in the next day or so. Sure I used to be able to do this.

Sicilian
15-08-10, 21:52
Tested this on OpenPLi today, sorry to say it didn't work as expected.

Now I'm sure that my old DM7025 had no issues switching tuners, got tbh this has got me stumped now.

DrProzac
23-08-10, 21:12
Such a shame this.
I was hoping it would work.

Just had a go myself and it didn't work either.
Would this be possible on any image?

Like andys new one??

steford
24-08-10, 08:41
If this doesn't work as expected then I think my "Fixed Satellite" satellite is the only option. Copy all 28E channels or whatever you're interested in to a new sat and call it "Fixed 28E" or whatever and have it set up on the fixed dish. Use the regular 28E or whatever for the USALS setting on the motorised.

DrProzac
24-08-10, 08:53
That part works fine.
I.E

Here's the situation.
TUNER A (USALS)
TUNER B (Fixed 28.2)

If I'm watching something on TUNER A
ON 19.2E

A Recording is due to start on 28.2E TUNER B will kick in and record no problems.
When a second recording is due to start on 28.2E the TUNER A Will move so I can record the program.
No problems up to this point. and is what I woud expect as Recordings take priority.

Now the problem starts when the first recording finishes which started on TUNER B.

If I try to watch something on 19.2E becuase a second recording started (Using TUNER A) so that is still in use I can't move the dish.
It would be nice (but probably impossible) if TUNER B would say I'm free on the SAT and I'll take over you go ahead and swing round to 19.2

I don't think it's likely to be an easy fix?

parkher
27-08-10, 19:35
I have a dish with 10 lnbs, and, turns out, I did exactly that: created 10 dummy FIXED_.... satellites using one tuner, and a motorized dish using another one.
As to taking over, I don't think it could work in that scenario on any receiver, not just Duo:

How Duo can know that Eurosport 2 HD on Hot Bird 13.0E is the same channel as Eurosport 2 HD on FIXED_13.1E

I have an additional issue, not sure if it is ok to discuss it here, but perhaps just the big picture, without any details, yes or no:
How to make a specific channel to be tied to a specific sharing server?
Or, at least, how to make one sharing server to be used for channels from one tuner, and a different server - for the channels from another tuner, i.e., from another (dummy) satellite.
Even when both channels are from the same provider, from the same package.
Or, if not per-channel, at least per-transponder: if the transponder and/or the satellite is different (or fake different).
Interesting, is it achievable with mgcamd?