PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Solo] Green Screen with vix

tomcoleman
02-02-12, 12:20
my friend box was turned on last night and now he gets the ViX logo in top left and screen is green

what does this mean?

can i fix remotely?

Rob van der Does
02-02-12, 14:34
If it is indeed a green screen, that means he is running an old version. So first thing would be to update. That can indeed be done remote:

init 4
opkg update && opkg upgrade && init 6

Only: if his version is too old, a flash will be needed (and maybe also a bootloader update).

tomcoleman
02-02-12, 14:59
If it is indeed a green screen, that means he is running an old version. So first thing would be to update. That can indeed be done remote:

init 4

Only: if his version is too old, a flash will be needed (and maybe also a bootloader update).

why would it go green though all of a sudden??

so i ssh into the box and issue those commands?

silverfox0786
02-02-12, 15:04
green screen is a crash

we need to see logs to say why

and i wouldnt send those commands although those commands are used to update

but seems yr image is so old that it needs a clean reflash using latest image

:)

update using commands above only valid if yr using a variend on VIX version 2.3

Rob van der Does
02-02-12, 16:16
and i wouldnt send those commands although those commands are used to update
but seems yr image is so old that it needs a clean reflash using latest image
update using commands above only valid if yr using a variend on VIX version 2.3
Yep, you're right; this image must be too old to salvage........

tomcoleman
02-02-12, 17:39
Yep, you're right; this image must be too old to salvage........

why would it just die though? has something auto updated?

Sicilian
02-02-12, 17:42
Could have been anything. You should ask your friend how it was setup or if he'd changed any system settings or something.

guff daddy
02-02-12, 17:52
I have an idea this might not be a "greenscreen" (crash) but rather the normal TV screen with a green/purple colour (depending on the original colour) - this has happened on my box a few times recently (see attached).
This has happened a few times since upgrading to the lastest version - it seems to happen overnight when in standby.

I've done a complete reflash and set up manually rather than restoring settings - let you know how it gets on (if this is indeed the problem).

Rob van der Does
02-02-12, 17:53
why would it just die though? has something auto updated?
The craslog(s) might enlighten us.

Rob van der Does
02-02-12, 17:54
I have an idea this might not be a "greenscreen" (crash) but rather the normal TV screen with a green/purple colour (depending on the original colour) - this has happened on my box a few times recently (see attached)...
This is an indication that RGB/Component has not been set correctly.

Sicilian
02-02-12, 17:56
I have an idea this might not be a "greenscreen" (crash) but rather the normal TV screen with a green/purple colour (depending on the original colour) - this has happened on my box a few times recently (see attached).
This has happened a few times since upgrading to the lastest version - it seems to happen overnight when in standby.

I've done a complete reflash and set up manually rather than restoring settings - let you know how it gets on (if this is indeed the problem).

What receiver is that on? Also by the looks of it you might be using a USB tuner. Test if fixed tuner does the same thing.

guff daddy
02-02-12, 17:57
Setup is Vu+ connected to Onkyo amp via HDMI - Onky then connects to Samsung TV via HDMI, so no RGB/Component issues.

Problem only happens overnight - and a power cycle fixes it.

Sicilian
02-02-12, 17:59
Setup is Vu+ connected to Onkyo amp via HDMI - Onky then connects to Samsung TV via HDMI, so no RGB/Component issues.

Problem only happens overnight - and a power cycle fixes it.

Which receiver model and confirm that you where using a USB tuner as your screenshot shows Tuner C.

guff daddy
02-02-12, 18:04
What receiver is that on? Also by the looks of it you might be using a USB tuner. Test if fixed tuner does the same thing.

It is a Vu+ Duo with a Nova Win-T DTT tuner. However, last time it happened (yesterday morning) it just had the VIX startup screen showing, rather than any particular channel. Note that the system is set up with a DTT channel (RTE1) as the startup service (so that it will immediately populate the EPG on startup).

Note - I don't want to hijack the thread away from the OP's issue - just thought from what he said it might be a similar problem

Sicilian
02-02-12, 18:06
It is a Vu+ Duo with a Nova Win-T DTT tuner. However, last time it happened (yesterday morning) it just had the VIX startup screen showing, rather than any particular channel. Note that the system is set up with a DTT channel (RTE1) as the startup service (so that it will immediately populate the EPG on startup).

Note - I don't want to hijack the thread away from the OP's issue - just thought from what he said it might be a similar problem

Thanks for being mindful regards the OP :) Maybe test on a fixed tuner see if it happens.

guff daddy
02-02-12, 18:10
Thanks for being mindful regards the OP :) Maybe test on a fixed tuner see if it happens.

Will do - I'll set a fixed tuner channel as startup and see...if there are any further issues I'll open a new thread. Meanwhile it might help if the OP clarifies whether it is this problem or an actual "greenscreen of death" crash he is experiencing...

Markymark
02-02-12, 18:38
When my box is turned on or goes into standby it is green. When in standby the tv just displays loads of green lines on the screen - not sure if this is related to this issue.

tomcoleman
02-02-12, 19:34

init 4

says

the device cant make lock file as no space???

Sicilian
02-02-12, 19:46
says

the device cant make lock file as no space???

Re-flash, sound like the flash could have filled with data somehow.