PDA

View Full Version : Sky launching ‘unlimited fibre’

Larry-G
01-02-12, 18:37
Sky has revealed plans to offer fibre-based broadband from this April in addition to extending its copper-based service to 88 per cent of the UK by the end of 2013.

The move into the fibre-based market will see the company offer speeds of up to 40Mbps, the same as BT currently offers (as it uses BT’s own fibre), but slower than Virgin’s 100Mbps connections. Sky’s Broadband Unlimited Fibre package will initially be available to 30 per cent of the UK, but coverage will increase as BT’s fibre roll-out spreads across the country.

Customers can expect to pay £32.50 (€39) per month for the superfast broadband service, inclusive of Sky’s £12.50 line rental, and the package will be “a totally unlimited product that has no usage caps”.

http://advanced-television.com/index.php/2012/02/01/sky-launching-unlimited-fibre/

Donnie
01-02-12, 20:19
Typical sky rip off, I pay Plusnet £16.50 a month for my super fast and I am more than happy with 37meg

Larry-G
01-02-12, 20:23
Well i'm on crappy copper wire where i am as there is no fiber network so i'm stuck with at best 8meg when there not capping it back to the stone age that is.

Donnie
01-02-12, 20:29
Well i'm on crappy copper wire where i am as there is no fiber network so i'm stuck with at best 8meg when there not capping it back to the stone age that is.

My connection if fiber to cabinet so copper from the cabinet to my house so there is no reason why you wont get an upgrade at some point.
8meg beats the hell out of the 3meg I have lived with for years, only got the super fast in December and love it :D

Larry-G
01-02-12, 20:35
well as i have said before on here, my village lies just a few miles from some major north east cities all of which have had fiber for over 20 plus years but they have no interest in the 5 to 10 thousand customers our local exchange would service. so i'm stuck with a bt land-line like it or not. as for the 8meg speed. well thats when there not capping it which is pretty much all the time. so i'm about 3 to 4 meg most of the time.

digi247
01-02-12, 20:43
Typical sky rip off, I pay Plusnet £16.50 a month for my super fast and I am more than happy with 37meg

Plus your £9.49 for line rental and of course your on a capped usage as well, Personally i prefer my BT option its dearer at £28 for 18months and then £10 for line rental but its fully uncapped and i have yet to see any slow down in the 8 months i have had it so £32.50 including line rental for Sky's as long as its uncapped is pretty reasonable

punisher
01-02-12, 20:45
I prefer virgin media's 100meg bb in all honesty n it only costs a few quid :p

digi247
01-02-12, 20:52
I prefer virgin media's 100meg bb in all honesty n it only costs a few quid :p

You lucky bleeder LOL i nearly went back to virgin but after weighing upo the price difference and they still cap your speed between certain times if i recall on my 30mb if i went over between 4pm and 9pm they capped it to 5mb with a 5gig download not too sure if that still goes on but thats what swayed me to BT it really is Uncapped and no slowdown.

Might see what virgin are offering again in the near future, But i believe that us existing Fibre BT owners will be getting a free upgrade to 80mb when they phase it in sometime this year

Donnie
01-02-12, 21:02
Plus your £9.49 for line rental and of course your on a capped usage as well, Personally i prefer my BT option its dearer at £28 for 18months and then £10 for line rental but its fully uncapped and i have yet to see any slow down in the 8 months i have had it so £32.50 including line rental for Sky's as long as its uncapped is pretty reasonable

Correct but I am using about half of my allowed usage each month so its no issue for me.

well as i have said before on here, my village lies just a few miles from some major north east cities all of which have had fiber for over 20 plus years but they have no interest in the 5 to 10 thousand customers our local exchange would service. so i'm stuck with a bt land-line like it or not. as for the 8meg speed. well thats when there not capping it which is pretty much all the time. so i'm about 3 to 4 meg most of the time.

M8 I live in a village with less than a 1000 people but in Cornwall they are piloting in very small areas before the go all out.
Don't give up hope as I never thought in a million years I would get the connection I have.

Ev0
01-02-12, 21:11
I can't wait till my 50mb gets doubled to 100mb for free :D

punisher
01-02-12, 21:58
Yeh vm done pretty well upgrading every customer for free. Gna cost a bomb but everyone will appreciate the good will :p

Ev0
01-02-12, 22:14
Yeh vm done pretty well upgrading every customer for free. Gna cost a bomb but everyone will appreciate the good will :p

I'm sure there is a back hander from the government somewhere along the line.

Stanman
01-02-12, 22:45
If you want true unlimited than has to be BE. No throttling or caps of any sort, just wish the bleeders would hurry up with fiber though.:p

acco
02-02-12, 19:03
got to agree with above post, even newzbin works without having to install new client software.

digi247
02-02-12, 19:10
I dont have a problem with Bt Infinity concerning downloads and i use newsleecher no caps no throttling 24/7