PDA

View Full Version : How To Put Picons And EPG On USB ?

shadowman007
30-01-12, 15:19
Hi I wanted to no how do you put Picons and EPG on a USB stick what folder do you send them to? and do you need to make a folder or folders on the USB stick?. Also how much space is required on the USB stick 1GB,2GB etc ..?

mcquaim
30-01-12, 15:36
Hi there,

To setup picons on a USB stick it is as simple as creating a folder on the USB stick called picon and copy all your picons onto that folder.

For the EPG you need to tell the image where to store the epg.dat file. If you are using Vix then you need to do this in the EPG menu in

Setup-->System-->EPG-->Settings...

As for size, it all depends on how many satellites you are pointing to I guess. If you have a single fixed dish then 2GB is loads, more than that then increase the size of the USB stick etc..

Cheers,
mcquaim

Foxylady
30-01-12, 15:39
Firstly make sure nothing on pendrive so it's empty, any one will do.
To give you an idea i use an olde verbatim 64mb for picons and epg.
Make a folder called picon on that pen drive and put all your picons in that folder. (no other folders, just picons themselves)
Make sure your box is turned off, insert usb pendrive and then turn on, the box does the rest, it's that simple, now you will see your picons working.

Now onto epg:

EPG you need to goto
MENU, SETUP,SYSTEM Then EPG
In there got To SETTINGS and select your usb stick by pressing right arrow next to OK button til you see MEDIA/USB
Any epg you choose will now be sent to the usb

shadowman007
21-03-12, 17:29
Thanks guys for your help. I forgot to ask can EPG and the picon folder be on the same USB stick? or do I need a separate USB stick for EPG?

Maxwell
21-03-12, 17:30
you can have both on usb

Larry-G
you can have the epg / picons and much more running from a single USB stick as thats what i do on all 3 of my receivers.

judge
They will work perfectly on the same USB stick.

edit, beaten to it X 2...

BRAVEHEART
22-03-12, 19:35
How do I make sure that any picons I download using the options menu/plugins/download plugins (green button)/picons/picon set for 28.2E, before I try those picons I want to make sure they save to the usb stick picon folder like described in posts above, how do I do this or can this be done or does doing it that way only save the picons to the internal memory ?

someone please let me know ?

thanks.

scoot1690
22-03-12, 20:22
get a usb stick format it then make a new folder on it called picon place usb pendrive into your duo then go into devices manager a nd mount it then reboot box and you will be able to download direct from box onto usb

BRAVEHEART
22-03-12, 21:09
get a usb stick format it then make a new folder on it called picon place usb pendrive into your duo then go into devices manager a nd mount it then reboot box and you will be able to download direct from box onto usb

will give it a try mate, cheers :)

punisher
22-03-12, 21:30
ftp ito your box and go to usr/share/enigma2 and make sure there is no picon folder in there too. if there is then delete it

BRAVEHEART
22-03-12, 23:13
ok done this >>

and also made sure of this too >>

ftp ito your box and go to usr/share/enigma2 and make sure there is no picon folder in there too. if there is then delete it

But still when I get to the part once it downloads the picons and asks you were would you like to save them it only gives the options for my main internal hard drive or the internal box memory which is obviously not what I want, its the usb stick I want.

I know I can install the picons myself by putting them on the usb stick etc but it would be good to also be good to have the choice to do it this way too if I felt like it :(

I dont know why it doesnt show the usb stick at the last hurdle because it is defo recognised and mounted etc in the box using the methods described, anyone else tried this yet ?? :confused:

punisher
22-03-12, 23:30
its more than likely because your usb isn't ext3 or ext4 formatted and more than likely fat32

BRAVEHEART
22-03-12, 23:40
its more than likely because your usb isn't ext3 or ext4 formatted and more than likely fat32

yea I didnt do or know about the ext3 or ext4 thing now just until you said, but yes it was simply formatted using fat32 and the picon folder stuck in it, thats what I thought was correct.

so what you suggest then mate ? I have no clue about the ext3 or ext4 thing, I mean I dont know what it actually does, please advise, thanks. :)

edit:

oh, Its another way of formatting the usb stick I think it is by what your saying, so if thats the case if I format it using ext3 or 4 will the pc be able to then put the picon folder on the usb drive because if you initiliaze it in the box and then stick it in the pc the pc cant then write on the stick and you need to then reformat using fat32 so that you can get the picon folder on it, does that make sense, lol :confused:

punisher
22-03-12, 23:50
you can format it via the mount manager. if you format to ext3 ext4 then windows wont be able to recognise it. you will have to put the usb into ur box, mount it as media/usb then ftp into your box go to medi/usb and place you picon folder in there.

BRAVEHEART
23-03-12, 00:17
you can format it via the mount manager. if you format to ext3 ext4 then windows wont be able to recognise it. you will have to put the usb into ur box, mount it as media/usb then ftp into your box go to medi/usb and place you picon folder in there.

cheers, thats what I thought mate,

so in other words it probably is just as quick to get the picons on the stick yourself and slam it in the box and do it that way, probably just as quick if not quicker depending on what way ya look at it.

Thats cool, at least I know now that its not possible to do it straight from the box onto the stick, thats exactly what I wanted to know, now I have the answer then thats that sorted, lol, another little bit learned :)

edit:
nah quicker just leaving the stick in and then thats saves people having to plug and unplug it I guess, so yea, your way will be at least easier than messing about with the stick all the time :)

shadowman007
23-03-12, 07:32
I also wanted to no this my USB stick is formatted to fat32 and is mounted the picons are working fine. But if I update the picons can I just ftp into my box without having to take out my USB stick each time? if yes what folder do am I lloking for it's not media/usb is it?

judge
23-03-12, 13:25
Yes, you can ftp them to media/usb/picon/

punisher
23-03-12, 20:42
Exactly, leave the stick in ur box then just ftp over whatever needed whenever its needed. Saves messin about yankin the stick in and out lol plus i flash my reciever that way, just transfer the files via ftp, do s restart vis remote, the. Press the relevant button on front display of box an away u go, when the box boots up, ftp back in and delete the image from ur media/usb

BRAVEHEART
23-03-12, 20:42
see if picons were accidentally installed to the internal memory of the box, where would they be located, can someone tell me where the location would be that they would be hiding ? (with ViX-2.3.204 image).

edit :

would they only be hiding here like punisher mentioned earlier or could they be somewhere else too ? >>

punisher
23-03-12, 22:40
no, if it was downloaded to internal flash then they will either be in usr/share/enigma2/picon or /picon on the root directory. if on hdd they will be media/hdd/picon, if on usb they would be media/usb/picon

Foxylady
24-03-12, 00:27
The picons were not accidently placed and i placed them in the root of box, i placed them there as Rob van der does stated this to me in a past post as i wanted to understand which would be best place to store the picons.
This was his quote in a thread 9th feb.... 'Flash is faster then any other location'
Therefore no need to place them on a usb? unless someone else can explain why possibly van der does is wrong in his opinon or is this down to personal prefernce?

BRAVEHEART
24-03-12, 00:48
The picons were not accidently placed and i placed them in the root of box, i placed them there as Rob van der does stated this to me in a past post as i wanted to understand which would be best place to store the picons.
This was his quote in a thread 9th feb.... 'Flash is faster then any other location'
Therefore no need to place them on a usb? unless someone else can explain why possibly van der does is wrong in his opinon or is this down to personal prefernce?

I know what your saying mate, they will work faster from the boxes internal memory as its more instant than the system looking for them on a hard drive or a usb stick drive, I knew that was obvious, the only thing I can gather from what most people I have spoke to are saying and suggesting to use the usb stick instead is because as soon as the internal box memory starts to get anywhere near full or full then it will then not be able to save stuff and will also very much slow channel changing down too, so I am only guessing thats why most people are saying to have it all on usb instead and leave the internal memory free, I am only going from my pretty good computer knowledge and thats exactly what would happen if you were talking about a computers memory, and at end of the day its exactly the same thing anyway, hard drive, usb stick, internal memory, same idea, so I am guessing same thing, maybe thats what they mean, I dont know, thats why I raised the question too mate :)

p.s
does anyone actually know what actual real size the internal memory of the vu duo is please ?
If its loads n loads then no need really to worry about using usb stick at all but if its slightly small then thats different.

judge
24-03-12, 01:10
If only using one satellite, storing picons on flash should't be an issue depending on your receiver.
If using more than one satellite, i'd advise using a USB stick as long as it doesn't fall asleep due to a current kernel bug.
To check how much free space you have on the receiver, telnet, ssh or whatever other method you use, log into the box and use
df -h
this will tell you how much space you have free.

Once the box fills up, you will start to have issues, hence storing on a USB is better.

If you have an internal HD & use permanent timeshift on it, it's always active, so storing picons, EPG and so on on the HD shouldn't be a problem as it's always active.

If storing on an external USB/SATA hd, you have to wait for it to wake up when it's required.

Foxylady
24-03-12, 10:15
Knowing as mentioned, the exact amount the internal can cope with would be good for us all to know.
And with the information above, i managed to get to see it.
I preferre mine on the internal and currently have 7 sats worth of picons on there suffering no slow down problems with speed etc.
Epg i use external usb and hard drive is only used for recording's and left in standby until needed :)

Here's mine with as mentioned 7 sats worth of picons:-

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a334/Pedrosgolf/Image1.jpg

Foxylady
24-03-12, 11:37
Now with seeing i had only 5% left, i thought it might be an issue and would not want to cause any slow down's possbily happening.
So i removed my picon folder from the root, updated all the other sat's and then placed them in picon folder and transferred to usb of which i can not really see much change in when changing a channel only and i mean tiny one tenth of a second maybe which is nothing.
So i will leave them as it is so in my ming there is enough internal to cope with other things.
I did originally have them on usb but when rob vander does explained how it works i changed to internal, but happy to kepe them as they are now on usb.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a334/Pedrosgolf/Image1-1.jpg

BRAVEHEART
24-03-12, 18:38
Now with seeing i had only 5% left, i thought it might be an issue and would not want to cause any slow down's possbily happening.
So i removed my picon folder from the root, updated all the other sat's and then placed them in picon folder and transferred to usb of which i can not really see much change in when changing a channel only and i mean tiny one tenth of a second maybe which is nothing.
So i will leave them as it is so in my ming there is enough internal to cope with other things.
I did originally have them on usb but when rob vander does explained how it works i changed to internal, but happy to kepe them as they are now on usb.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a334/Pedrosgolf/Image1-1.jpg

Arggggggggg :(, LOL :eek:

I feel the opposite now, since I put mines on the usb stick it slows the channel change just very slightly and thats me just on one fixed dish (sky), lol.

how do I just change it back, do I just delete the picon folder from the usb stick and then ftp it over to the box ? is there any specific place I need to place the picon folder when doing the ftp thing, ive forgot now man, lol, wish I just left it alone now, but at least its a learning curve, hehehehehe.

p.s
foxylady, thanks for showing us the memory pictures, that proves there is not much internal memory at all, I would have thought it would have been at least double that, I mean can you imagine updating epg and picons all the time onto the internal, it would be full nearly instantly by the looks of it.

Strange though how the box advert/specification etc doesnt mention the exactly amount of internal memory isnt it, hmmm :confused:

looks like the internal memory is 102.4MB from that screenshot, I was trying to think what in your case what would have ate up 96.8MB of space in the first picture, but when you think about the size of the image 48.7MB on its own and then if you had loads of picons and epg's etc stored then yes I can see why that 102.4MB would be guzzled up easily, hmmm, got me wondering now if its just better to leave the stuff (picons and epg) on the usb stick now, I think it has to be eh, even though theres a slight delay in channel change, but no big deal at all.

judge
24-03-12, 18:55
if you want to move them back onto flash from the usb, telnet into the box & issue:

mv /media/usb/picon /usr/share/enigma2/

BRAVEHEART
24-03-12, 19:04
If only using one satellite, storing picons on flash should't be an issue depending on your receiver.
If using more than one satellite, i'd advise using a USB stick as long as it doesn't fall asleep due to a current kernel bug.
To check how much free space you have on the receiver, telnet, ssh or whatever other method you use, log into the box and use
df -h
this will tell you how much space you have free.

Once the box fills up, you will start to have issues, hence storing on a USB is better.

If you have an internal HD & use permanent timeshift on it, it's always active, so storing picons, EPG and so on on the HD shouldn't be a problem as it's always active.

If storing on an external USB/SATA hd, you have to wait for it to wake up when it's required.

Hi mate,
I have never put commands like that in using dreambox edit or dreambox control centre FTP, can you tell me how and where I put the commands like that in so that I can check my memory etc like you guys are doing please ?

thanks.:)

judge
24-03-12, 19:10
have you a telnet client on your PC?
If not Putty is a good one.

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

BRAVEHEART
24-03-12, 19:16
have you a telnet client on your PC?
If not Putty is a good one.

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

I have dream edit, dream control centre and flashFXP installed, I am not familiar with putty very much, would any of those do the job ?

(p.s, will putty work on windows 7 64bit ?, if so, there is a lot of downloads available on that link, is it just putty.exe I need, yes ?)

judge
24-03-12, 19:19
I have dream edit, dream control centre and flashFXP installed, I am not familiar with putty very much, would any of those do the job ?

no idea mate, I don't use any of them.
does dream control centre have a telnet client?

BRAVEHEART
24-03-12, 19:28
no idea mate, I don't use any of them.
does dream control centre have a telnet client?

yes it does, just checked, so do i just select telnet and enter in the command, easy as that yea ?

judge
24-03-12, 19:31
yes it does, just checked, so do i just select telnet and enter in the command, easy as that yea ?

should be, the username will be root & blank password.

Foxylady
24-03-12, 19:38
For record. i used putty.
Copied the text provided in thread, right clicked on putty loaded and pasted hit enter and information is provided :thumbsup:

TomD
25-03-12, 09:41
Hi
Sorry to jump in, But is there a way to resize the picons? When I downloaded my picons, they only fill half the allocated box on cross epg?
Thanks
Tom

Larry-G
25-03-12, 09:45
For record. i used putty.
Copied the text provided in thread, right clicked on putty loaded and pasted hit enter and information is provided :thumbsup:

i personally use the inbuilt windows telnet client.

How to enable the default Telnet client in Windows 7 - Click Here (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?12558-Tutorial-How-to-enable-the-default-Telnet-client-in-Windows-7)

jassie
18-10-12, 00:01
thanks this has been very helpful for me;)

arnie2014
21-10-14, 18:46
whats the advantage of storing your picons and EGP on your USB rather than HDD

I currently have all mine on my hard drive just wanted know if their an advantage if I should put them on USB

Joe_90
21-10-14, 19:00
You should really start a new thread rather than digging up a two year-old version... that said, picons ideally should be stored on your box flash memory if you have sufficient space. Failing that, a USB stick could be used. The problem with picons on a HDD is that it has to spin up the disk in order to find picons when you change channel. This can cause a momentary pause.

EPG data can be stored on a HDD as it is loaded into RAM and only written back to the disk on shutdown or loaded back from the disk on initial startup.