PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Duo] Still having slight problems with new VIX

birdman99
28-01-12, 19:12
Im using the new VIX 230 155 and was having massive problems with it stallling and never recovering,it is still not as often but still getting vix sign in top left and then freezing the box so it has to be turned off from the back.
i tryed the telnet update of someones advice but although that improved things a bit its not fully solid like other vix

zola25
28-01-12, 20:54
I have tried the new update and still getting various lockups sometimes when just changing a channel, so i am going back to the last pre 3.1.1 version which i think is
ViX-2.3.146.(someone like to confirm please)
I am sure that soon all the bugs with the new kernel will be sorted and then i will upgrade again.
Thanks for all the effort on the latest image but for me it is nowhere as stable as the pre 3.1.1 versions

Stanman
28-01-12, 22:08
Did either of you install plugins from prevous backups?

Might be an idea to do a virgin flash and than set everything up again.

You can copy channel list and CFG files to your desktop and than restore them manually.

birdman99
28-01-12, 22:20
i installed everything from scratch even scanned sats overnight.
I have just five mins ago tryed software update via box so hopefuly this will sort it.
like my above friend i will probs have to re flash to earlier image so could do with advice on how to save all sats ect...
when i think how stable my tm500s was .........

Stanman
28-01-12, 22:24
What exactly are the issues as you have multiple issues across couple of threads.

Can you explain them in details and we can try and get to the bottom of them.

birdman99
28-01-12, 22:30
yea sure.Problems i was first having where scanning sats mainly 19e i changed tuner setup to positioner and that seems better with tuner b 2nd cable of lnb.
then i was having problems with black screen just crashing i then done telnet update provided my a member.
then today the vix sign was coming up and everything was slow i was pressing a boutton on epg search and it wasnt loading in till ten seconds later then it would just freeze.ive now 10 mins ago restarted and done software update and am watching without any issues but am still worried this isnt the last of my problems

Stanman
29-01-12, 00:17
The latest updates are online and these have fixed issues. If continue to experience problems with your setup, than post either the crash report if there is none than the debug log from home/root or wherever you specified the save location and we can try to get to the bottom of the problem.

birdman99
29-01-12, 02:18
how do i specify the location just incase

punisher
29-01-12, 09:19
Menu/setup/system/logs

birdman99
29-01-12, 13:08
Last night whilst watching ufc it crashed,i think its somthing to do with epg because it always just after or during going on epg that it slows or crashed,ive looked in logs but nothing in there

Rob van der Does
29-01-12, 13:13
Please post the crashlog: without that we can't do anything at all.
You can send it via the logmanager.

Larry-G
29-01-12, 13:33
Last night whilst watching ufc it crashed,i think its somthing to do with epg because it always just after or during going on epg that it slows or crashed,ive looked in logs but nothing in there

go to blue button > log manager if you cant see that go to menu > system > setup > logs > log manager and you should see the log there. you can send it directly from the receiver but make sure you set your user details first so we can keep track of the bug reports and where possible we can even reply directly to you via email to resolve the issue.

Sicilian
29-01-12, 14:55
Try doing a single satellite scan of 28.2 or whatever satellite you where watching/accessing EPG. Could be a pid issue with your EPG.

birdman99
29-01-12, 15:36
dont have no log manager in log its blank

Larry-G
29-01-12, 15:38
When the box crashed did it give a black screen with white text ie a crash or did it just reboot ?.

birdman99
29-01-12, 15:39
no vix came up in top left hand corner then nothing would operate.

birdman99
29-01-12, 22:37
i dont have anything in my log manger?? is this somthing i need to add??

Stanman
29-01-12, 22:40
Go into logs and make sure logs are enabled in settings

birdman99
29-01-12, 22:48
thats the problem i dont have any options to activate logs theres no log settings in vix 230

Stanman
29-01-12, 22:50
Menu>setup>Logs>settings, its in there mate, have a look. The path might not be exact as not infront of the box but def in logs menu.

Larry-G
29-01-12, 22:54
menu> setup> system> logs

settings.

create more detailed crash log : yes
enable debug log : yes

birdman99
29-01-12, 23:18
there is no settings in my log page

Stanman
29-01-12, 23:20
there is no settings in my log page

Can you press menu than info and take a picture of the info as what has been posted is in VIX bar very early releases.

Are you certain you are on the latest release?

Larry-G
29-01-12, 23:25
there should be two headings like so.

i dont know whats going on with your image but nothing you say is tallying up with what i;m seeing on my box rite now running ViX 2.3 204.

pooface
29-01-12, 23:56
Try one thing for me if you could...

Can you go to Menu -> Plugins.

Please post a screenshot of what comes up as soon as you go there. If, when you are in there, you get any error messages, then please take the screenshot of these msgs :)

birdman99
30-01-12, 01:21
its messed up its ,theres no epg settings page so i cant set usb to epg no log page ,do you mean take photo with phone?

in menu/plugine i see cross epg
cross epg force reload,epg refresh,media scanner,openwebif,picture player,xmltv importer

basilyoung
30-01-12, 01:27
have you got a usb stick on your system?
I have a feeling, that epg is your problem, in that when you download epg,..its going into your flash, rather than storage on the usb

birdman99
30-01-12, 01:30
yea i have usb and hdd internal i usually use usb for epg

basilyoung
30-01-12, 01:32
can you see the usb, in image manager?
do you have the option in epg setup, to save to usb?

birdman99
30-01-12, 01:33
yea usb is there mounted the lot,no its totally blank in that settings page.

basilyoung
30-01-12, 01:39
have you gone to menu/setupsystem/epg?
if not do so,
at the top of the list, you should see EPG location, set it to media/usb, then go to xmltv importer, download say uk,

birdman99
30-01-12, 01:49
143801438114382Nor your not getting what im saying thats the problem that settings page is totally blank along with logs manager both totally balnk.so i cant do anything in there as there nothing in the page

basilyoung
30-01-12, 01:56
got you now,.....thats a very odd problem,....not sure what to advise at the mo, but please stay with this thread, dont stray into other peeps threads, as it will confuse the issues

but I am intregged by this, due to time of day, I doubt if others will be around to assist, so best advice is sleep on it, and hopefully, the crew will be onto this tomorrow

birdman99
30-01-12, 01:58
ok basil thanks anyway,speak tommorow,mad thing is everything is working ok apart from this,done so much work trying to get this image right hope i dont have to wipe,will see tho,night......bed bugs...and all that...

Sicilian
30-01-12, 06:22
Reflash with the latest image in this thread http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?14236-Vu-Duo-ViX-2-3-%28Linux-3-1-1%29-Image-Release-s

How to flash http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?3-How-to-flash-a-VU-Duo-using-a-USB-stick

birdman99
30-01-12, 14:37
This is the last thing I wanted to hear but if that what it’s going to take then I guess I don’t have an option. I suppose I was hoping someone was going to give some easier way of sorting it.wouldnt mind everything is running spot on its taken me weeks to get this image stable. I have all my sats and other things that I won’t mention running like a dream. If this is the only option could someone give me advice on How to save my sats and tell me if I should save any setting or just start from scratch incase I bug it up again. Also will I have to use boot before flashing image.

Larry-G
30-01-12, 14:39
its messed up its ,theres no epg settings page so i cant set usb to epg no log page ,do you mean take photo with phone?

in menu/plugine i see cross epg
cross epg force reload,epg refresh,media scanner,openwebif,picture player,xmltv importer

To do a screenshot like those i posted follow this tutorial

How to Take a screenshot from your satellite receiver
Click Here (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?12554-Tutorial-How-to-make-a-screenshot-dump-from-your-satellite-receiver)

You may also need to follow this one too

How to enable the default Telnet client in Windows 7 - Click Here (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?12558-Tutorial-How-to-enable-the-default-Telnet-client-in-Windows-7)

pooface
30-01-12, 15:20
This is the last thing I wanted to hear but if that what it’s going to take then I guess I don’t have an option. I suppose I was hoping someone was going to give some easier way of sorting it.wouldnt mind everything is running spot on its taken me weeks to get this image stable. I have all my sats and other things that I won’t mention running like a dream. If this is the only option could someone give me advice on How to save my sats and tell me if I should save any setting or just start from scratch incase I bug it up again. Also will I have to use boot before flashing image.

Best thing to do, go to image manager in vix menu, and take an image backup. ftp in to your box, and copy the backup to your computer. Then, if you have really bad problems setting back up, you can restore this image...

Next, take a normal backup from within the vix menu.

Then, backup your bouquets to your computer using dreamset or dbedit or something similar.

Then, you should have everything backed up to allow you to update and restore.

As a final thing, you may want to manually backup files such as your softcam configs, e2 settings, timers etc... But, this should only be done if you know what you're doing...

birdman99
30-01-12, 15:47
Thanks for all your help but I wouldn't have the knowledge to do all that I would be happy just saving sats if anyone can find tutorial I'm not sure I should do it tho because I've had worse problems than this and I think I'll have other problems with re flashing I think I'll wait till a update or more stable image comes through. Thanks anyway

Sicilian
30-01-12, 16:09
Thanks for all your help but I wouldn't have the knowledge to do all that I would be happy just saving sats if anyone can find tutorial I'm not sure I should do it tho because I've had worse problems than this and I think I'll have other problems with re flashing I think I'll wait till a update or more stable image comes through. Thanks anyway

204 is the latest build and proberlby more stable than the build you are on now.

I really dont know how to take you, one min you ask for help, you get the answers you need then come out with another daft comment of 'I'll wait till a update or more stable image comes through'. :rolleyes:

Loads of FAQ here http://www.world-of-satellite.com/forumdisplay.php?301-ViX-Team-Images-FAQ-s-and-Guides-Here

Another guide here http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?623-How-to-send-save-Enigma-Settings-to-the-VUDuo-using-DBEdit

Enigma 2 settings / bouquets http://www.world-of-satellite.com/forumdisplay.php?21-Enigma-2-Settings

birdman99
30-01-12, 18:08
I'm not been funny just worried about having problems after i reflash again .didn't relise the image you sent me the link for was any different to the one I'm on now I'll reflash with this tonight when wife goes to bed. I thought the one I was on was the newest.I'll report back after I get it setup and have used it for a day or so

birdman99
30-01-12, 19:32
do i need to use boot included in the link you sent me or just flash ?

Larry-G
30-01-12, 19:35
It wont harm any thing to flash the bootloader just to be safe.

birdman99
30-01-12, 20:11
cant get it to flash it just starting,ive done tgis hundreds of times but this one wont flash

Sicilian
30-01-12, 20:23
cant get it to flash it just starting,ive done tgis hundreds of times but this one wont flash

What wont flash? The image or the bootloader?

birdman99
30-01-12, 20:32
the image tryed from back of box but still wont.ive looked furthur down the link and there is another image but dont know if i should try that one as i was advised to flash the above link

Stanman
30-01-12, 20:37
When trying to flash, were there any other files on the usb?
If any other sticks are pluged in pull them out
Make sure there is only the extracted folder VUPLUS on the USB.

birdman99
30-01-12, 20:41
no just the vuplus/kernal/ reboot/root.strange this as never been a problem before??

Sicilian
30-01-12, 20:51
you need vuplus/duo/then the flash files inside the duo folder. Use the latest image posted.

birdman99
30-01-12, 22:56
Sorry thats what i meant,tryed different usb and that worked but now it wont start its just holding on to the starting stage and not booting,my uno used to do this uno? Lol

birdman99
30-01-12, 23:14
I couldnt get first image to flash so used the 23 204 that flashed but now box wont start just hanging at starting....is there anything else i can try as this box wont even start now.

Stanman
30-01-12, 23:16
Try switching off from the power switch and than turning it back on after 1 minute.

birdman99
30-01-12, 23:24
already tryed it 3 times for 5 minutes each time,still doesnt start....

richca
30-01-12, 23:40
make sure you have installed the most recent secondstage bootloader

cheers

basilyoung
30-01-12, 23:45
the trick is as follows...load the new boot loader, power down the unit, use a clean usb stick, and add the new image, plug it into the front usb slot,...restart the unit, the new image will then load, with the new drivers having been previously installed

birdman99
30-01-12, 23:50
im in trouble here hit a brick wall,is there anyway i can just go way back to a stable vix image that will flash.theres somthing not right with either these new vix images or my box.

richca
30-01-12, 23:52
ye, you can always try reflash older image, i did as i had a few issues at first

birdman99
30-01-12, 23:58
cheers buddy,what one do you recomend and would i have to do anything with that boot install? alls im thinking is ive been on new images and surely the box wont go straight back to them drivers without doing somthing?????what image did you find solid?

birdman99
31-01-12, 00:00
thats is what ive been doing all night basil but it loads the boot ok it programmes but then when i turn off and restart nothing starts it just stays in starting mode and doesnt go any furthur.

Larry-G
31-01-12, 00:03
Flash the bootloader first the same way as you would a image, when prompted turn off the box at the rear and remove the USB stick.

format the stick again to FAT32 then copy over the image files and flash again. sometimes the newer images will have trouble with certain sticks, even thous that have worked previously. also try downloading the image from a different browser incase it has become corrupted while downloading.

birdman99
31-01-12, 00:18
tryed all that reporting back to say still not working.something wrong.

Mr. Mister
31-01-12, 00:30
ok.. try this..

Flash a totally different image to the box.. ie.. Blackhole or something..

allow it to boot up.. When you are asked to put in your set up details.. Turn of your duo..

Then flash the Vix. 203 204 image..

I did not use any bootloader.. and all went perfect.. on all my duo`s.. and has been totally stable since flashing..

Hope this helps..

birdman99
31-01-12, 00:35
done that and its worked,yeeee.also didnt have my ethernet cable in not that i thought that would effect it but might be wrong anyway ive got it on thanks everyone will report back.kept re formatting the usb everytime i used it also.

basilyoung
31-01-12, 00:39
please carify

have you now loaded the boot loader/vix image or blackhole, without boot loader, or blackhole with bootloader?

Larry-G
31-01-12, 00:44
ok.. try this..

Flash a totally different image to the box.. ie.. Blackhole or something..

allow it to boot up.. When you are asked to put in your set up details.. Turn of your duo..

Then flash the Vix. 203 204 image..

I did not use any bootloader.. and all went perfect.. on all my duo`s.. and has been totally stable since flashing..

Hope this helps..

Be careful with that mate, the bootloader was created for a purpose and loading any linux 3.1.1 kernel based image without the bootloader present could lead to a lot of troubles even if it's only flashed the once thats more than enough.

Mr. Mister
31-01-12, 00:51
Cheers Pheonix.. I understand..

It was just that the above worked for me.. When one of my duo`s was stuck on starting..

But yeah.. That could have been bad advise..

Sorry for that..

birdman99
31-01-12, 00:58
No i never not used the boot i relise that is a recipe for disaster.
I just installed old image then done factory reset then re done by formatting usb before each step ,flashed boot then image and now have latest image on that was advised by silicon on this post.
Just to let everyone know,not using the boot is not a good idea.

Larry-G
31-01-12, 01:09
if you have flashed the bootloader even just once that's fine and that's all that's needed. The only reason we ask thet people flash the bootloader in these situations is because flashing it takes only a few seconds and even of you have already done it, no harm will come to the box but if you dont flash it at all you could end up with a very expensive paper weight.

birdman99
31-01-12, 01:35
Just want to thank all the hard work and great support ive had over the last few days.thankyou evryone.:thumbsup:
please dont end this thread untill ive reported back.thanks.

raj
05-02-12, 18:58
Hi guys I bought a box a week ago. Stef pre-flashed the box with VIX image which I picked up. Got it set up and every so often it locks up and crashes. I have sent in the logs via the box but it seems to be a epg problem.

I am thinking of restarting and re-flashing the image. Whats the best way? I think and presume that the boot-loader was updated when Stef flashed it but how do I check?

Kind regards

Raj

raj
05-02-12, 19:08
Actually, just went in to change the channel for my toddler and the box crashed i.e. became non responsive

Stanman
05-02-12, 20:03
Hi guys I bought a box a week ago. Stef pre-flashed the box with VIX image which I picked up. Got it set up and every so often it locks up and crashes. I have sent in the logs via the box but it seems to be a epg problem.

I am thinking of restarting and re-flashing the image. Whats the best way? I think and presume that the boot-loader was updated when Stef flashed it but how do I check?

Kind regards

Raj

Dont reflash just yet.

Go into menu>information and tell us what the version info is.

Also did you setup EPG or the sponsor?

If you can you post up your settings please.

raj
05-02-12, 20:43
Stanman

information from the box as follows

Kernel 3.1.1
drivers 2012-01-27
version 2.3
build 204

Not sure what else you need

Stanman
05-02-12, 22:30
The bootloader has been updated, so you dont need to do that.

Instructions on how to set up crossepg here http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?14373-How-to-setup-Crossepg-in-all-ViX-Images&highlight=setup+crossepg