PDA

View Full Version : change vuduo network name

omega99
28-01-12, 11:33
Vu duo with vti 4 has name of vuduo, how can I change it to workgroup to match the rest of the network

trying to figure out why I can't mount a drive on an xp machine, shows up in network browser but has the small red cross on the drive.
turned off firewall, mse, can't seem to kill off avast pro but can disabled the real time scanners still won't show up in mediaplayer at all.

is there a cmd to check to see what drives are mounted via telnet? or even mount the drive via cmd line

Rob van der Does
28-01-12, 11:51
The hostname can be changed via the networkoptions in the menu.
If you want to change the networkgroup do as follows:
1- telnet 'init 4' to stop Enigma;
2- open the file 'smb.conf' located in etc/samba with a suitable editor (such as notepad++);
3- change the existing networkname to whatever you want and save the file;
4- telnet 'init 6' to reboot the box.

omega99
28-01-12, 12:07
ok thanks rob, done & changed name
can browse the vuduo from any of the winbloze machines, but still can't get the little red cross to go away on the shares

Maxwell
28-01-12, 12:17
If you are using windows try this:

1. create a new folder on PC - call it 'vu'
2. create administrative user on PC - to keep things simple call the user 'vu' and the password 'vu'
3. share the folder : properties --> sharing --> advanced sharing --> make sure 'share this folder' is checked and click permissions --> make sure everybody has full control

Then on your Vu+ box

1. menu > setup > system > Network > Mount Manager
2. Add a new network mount point
3. Active - yes
local share name - nas (you can call it anything you like)
mount type - CIFS share
server IP - (enter PC IP here)
server share - /vu (make sure you include the /)
username - vu
password - vu

If you can then mount the share on the VU this test shows that you have incorrect settings on your Windows machine for the other shares you tried to set up

omega99
28-01-12, 17:21
no probs Max

set it similar to what you have but put admin log in & pw, now have access

micscave
02-02-12, 09:36
If you are using windows try this:

1. create a new folder on PC - call it 'vu'
2. create administrative user on PC - to keep things simple call the user 'vu' and the password 'vu'
3. share the folder : properties --> sharing --> advanced sharing --> make sure 'share this folder' is checked and click permissions --> make sure everybody has full control

Then on your Vu+ box

1. menu > setup > system > Network > Mount Manager
2. Add a new network mount point
3. Active - yes
local share name - nas (you can call it anything you like)
mount type - CIFS share
server IP - (enter PC IP here)
server share - /vu (make sure you include the /)
username - vu
password - vu

If you can then mount the share on the VU this test shows that you have incorrect settings on your Windows machine for the other shares you tried to set up

Hey Maxwell4321
Thanks for pointing me to this post. So I did all this and indeed I can now stream from my laptop. When I try to replicate these settings for the actual folder I want to share from the main user account on my laptop, it fails, so I now know there is an error in the settings. I'm not sure where this error lies but I suspect it is the "server share" bit. In the test everything is set up as "vu" so I'm a bit confused when setting it up on my other account what should come after "/" is it the folder name or the user account on the PC ? ie "/downloads" or "/mics laptop" ?

Many thanks
micscave

Maxwell
02-02-12, 10:34
Hey Maxwell4321
Thanks for pointing me to this post. So I did all this and indeed I can now stream from my laptop. When I try to replicate these settings for the actual folder I want to share from the main user account on my laptop, it fails, so I now know there is an error in the settings. I'm not sure where this error lies but I suspect it is the "server share" bit. In the test everything is set up as "vu" so I'm a bit confused when setting it up on my other account what should come after "/" is it the folder name or the user account on the PC ? ie "/downloads" or "/mics laptop" ?

Many thanks
micscave

Its the folder you want to share so /downloads, NOTE: this name must be exactly as it is on the PC.
In windows you also need to check that the folder share permissions has the vu user account you setup so you would right click the "Downloads" folder, select> share with you will see the list of current users allowed access then in the drop down box above highlight the user "vu" and click on Add, once vu is in the user list you can set its permissions to Read only or Read/write then click share, once it reports this folder is shared (can take some time depending on the folder contents) exit and reboot the PC.

This is the simplest way to do it. If you still have problems there are other ways and settings that can be accessed but it can get very involved and complex

micscave
02-02-12, 11:51
Thanks for the reply mate. I'll give this a go tonight as I'm at work right now. I'm pleased that I'm finaly getting somewhere with this now as I've been trying on and off for nearly 2 years since getting the Duo.
If I can't sus it I'll just copy the files into the "vu" folder as and when I need them, just a bit messy.

I'll report back later.

Cheers
micscave

Maxwell
02-02-12, 12:32
Thanks for the reply mate. I'll give this a go tonight as I'm at work right now. I'm pleased that I'm finaly getting somewhere with this now as I've been trying on and off for nearly 2 years since getting the Duo.
If I can't sus it I'll just copy the files into the "vu" folder as and when I need them, just a bit messy.

I'll report back later.

Cheers
micscave

Rather than copy them as and when, which as you say can get messy, you could do this.

Rename the original folder you wanted to share to something else e.g. Downloads2
Copy the entire contents of "Downloads2" into the "vu" folder (as we already know that the VU+ can see this as a share)
Make sure the VU+ can see all the files in the "vu" folder, if not right click it and go through the "share with" procedure again as although the folder is shared it maybe that the contents are not after the copy procedure.
Once the VU+ can see all the files rename the "vu" folder to the original folder name e.g. Downloads.
Reboot
On the VU+ either change the "server share" to /Downloads or setup a new share as per the original test procedure with /Downloads instead of /vu

You should now have access to all the original files in what the PC percieves as the original location, if the original location was shared with other devices double check that your other users have permissions on the "new" Downloads" folder. (if not add them using the share with procedure).

Once the VU+ and any other required users can access all the files you can delete the "Downloads2" folder.

micscave
02-02-12, 14:15
Good advice, I'll try that if i can't achieve the other way with the original folder.
I really appreciate your help Maxwell4321, cheers mate.

micscave