PDA

View Full Version : Xbox Next will use Blu-ray, not play used games

Larry-G
27-01-12, 13:26
http://cdn1.afterdawn.fi/v3/news/microsoft-0-logo.jpg

According to Kotaku, Microsoft's upcoming console will play Blu-ray discs, catching up to Sony 7 years after the launch of the PS3.
Another part of the report that will certainly be notable if true, is the notion that Microsoft will "incorporate some sort of anti-used game system" in the new console. It is unclear how this system would work, but it will likely not be foolproof, regardless.

Additionally, Microsoft is likely to launch the console with the Kinect 2 motion control system including a built-in processor. The processor would allow the Kinect to process motions more accurately and smoother.

Microsoft would only say this: "As an innovator we're always thinking about what is next and how we can push the boundaries of technology like we did with Kinect. We believe the key to extending the lifespan of a console is not just about the console hardware, but about the games and entertainment experiences being delivered to consumers. Beyond that we don't comment on rumors or speculation."

Earlier in the week, reports surfaced that the "Xbox Next" will use a Radeon 6750 GPU, which would make the console 6 times more powerful than the Xbox 360.

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.cfm/2012/01/27/xbox_next_will_use_blu-ray_not_play_used_games

tsx
27-01-12, 13:51
Aren't companies already trying to do that with games at the moment? I.e. Battlefield 3 requires a code to allow you to play online, so if you try to sell it to a mate, they then have to go and buy an activation code to be able to play it. I am though led to believe if you sell it to someone like blockbuster or game they will slip a online code into it before reselling.

pooface
27-01-12, 14:13
I can't see how this would work...

What about the large number of people who rent games from places like blockbuster, lovefilm etc?! Are microsoft going to put out of business those firms, plus all the computer shows who deal with used games?!

This would then just lead to an even bigger "throwaway society"... Currently, if you've finished with a game, you are unlikely to go back to it. With the used game market, you can always sell it on to shops, who then sell it on cheaper (though not cheap enough!!!) to someone who cannot afford new prices. Or, you sell it on to a mate who cannot or doesn't want to pay full new price. etc, etc. With the new system, MS are just insinuating that we should just throw our used games away! It wouldn't surprise me if MS did this, as they wouldn't care about putting shows and companies out of business! But I hope it ain't true!

Worst thing about it, is that you'll probably find that the cost of games will rise even more anyway, even though you will not be able to get anything back for them...

Only way I can see it working, is that in the Next console, they will create some sort of hash code that is uploaded on to the live servers when a certain disk id is used on a console. This will get stored on the servers, and if the hash code doesn't match the disk id, you will not be able to play on live. Hopefully still be able to play offline though...

Ev0
27-01-12, 14:35
So it will be alteast 3 years out of date, and you can't play used games.

It doesn't sound like a winner to me.

elplicko
29-01-12, 13:14
i agree cant see how they can implement this, ea started the trend of charging to use online features on console games for preowned games if microsoft try to stop this on there new console people simply wont buy it, i know i wont