PDA

View Full Version : 3 LNBs, 2 Linux boxes, what cabling etc do I need?

GerryAttric
25-01-12, 22:55
This will be a brand new set up, installed by a total novice (me) and I want to get it right first time, so any pointers in the right direction will be greatly appreciated.

The scenario:
I want to be able to get 13E, 19.2E & 28.2E. The receivers will be in two rooms, one directly above the other and will more than likely be used to watch and/or record entirely different programs at any one time. From looking at dishpointer, I have clear line of site from mounting the aerial just above the downstairs window.

For the main box which will be used for viewing/recording SD and HD and some experimenting, am I right in thinking that a Linux box with twin tuners along the lines of a VuDuo or an Extrend 6000 would be the sort of box to aim for?

For the upstairs box, it needs to be a single tuner that is reasonably simple to use as it is for someone who can be slightly technically challenged at times. I'm open to any ideas on this one - lowish budget even better.

I'm based in Inverclyde so will an 80cm dish be ok? Do the disecq switches go external or internal and what size would I need, working on the basis of putting twin feeds from each LNB into one room and single feeds into the other?

basilyoung
25-01-12, 23:03
The scenario:
I want to be able to get 13E, 19.2E & 28.2E. The receivers will be in two rooms, one directly above the other and will more than likely be used to watch and/or record entirely different programs at any one time. From looking at dishpointer, I have clear line of site from mounting the aerial just above the downstairs window.
For the main box which will be used for viewing/recording SD and HD and some experimenting, am I right in thinking that a Linux box with twin tuners along the lines of a VuDuo or an Extrend 6000 would be the sort of box to aim for?
For the upstairs box, it needs to be a single tuner that is reasonably simple to use as it is for someone who can be slightly technically challenged at times. I'm open to any ideas on this one - lowish budget even better.
I'm based in Inverclyde so will an 80cm dish be ok? Do the disecq switches go external or internal and what size would I need, working on the basis of putting twin feeds from each LNB into one room and single feeds into the other?

Well, you could go for a single dish, but it would need to be most likely a 1.1 triax dish, with a multy lnb system
alternitly, 2 dishes, one on 28 east, the other aimed at 16 east, with 2 offset lnb,s

in any event, the switches would live outside, or perhaps your attic

and the coax cables would be coming into the house

dual lnb,s would be a minimum

contact the forum sponcer, they would offer you good advice, and a great deal

machare
29-01-12, 18:45
The ET9200 has twin tuners. The ET6000 is a single tuner PVR.

Daily operation of such boxes running Vix is easy. It is the initial installation/configuration where more technical knowledge helps.

You can get brackets for Triax dishes for adding extra LNBS.

I think in general Diseqc 1.0 switches come with plastic covers for external mounting, but extra weather protection wont do any harm!

One advantage of the Linux receivers is that is is quite easy for Box 2 to show a recording by Box 1. (Assuming that both are connected to the same network.)