PDA

View Full Version : Deep or regular Standby?

cuongzi
23-01-12, 13:47
Hi all,

Might be a silly question, but does it matter whether I put my box in deep standby or regular standby?

Which one is recommended or better for my receiver?

digi247
23-01-12, 13:49
Hi all,

Might be a silly question, but does it matter whether I put my box in deep standby or regular standby?

Which one is recommended or better for my receiver?

Does not really matter the only difference is deep standby shuts everything down and when you switch on boots from cold, Normal stanby will still let you access the box with FTP, telnet etc....

Rob van der Does
23-01-12, 14:23
Does not really matter the only difference is deep standby shuts everything down and when you switch on boots from cold, Normal stanby will still let you access the box with FTP, telnet etc....
And apart from that there's a huge difference in power consuption. In standby the whole machine is active (apart from the video- and audio outputs) while in deep sleep consumption is <1W.
So roughly the difference will be 20/1000KWh * 24h * 365 days = 175KWh per year

Spoof
23-01-12, 17:21
And apart from that there's a huge difference in power consuption. In standby the whole machine is active (apart from the video- and audio outputs) while in deep sleep consumption is <1W.
So roughly the difference will be 20/1000KWh * 24h * 365 days = 175KWh per year

I am not sure where you got your figures from (in particular the 20/1000) but in any case that calculation clearly distorts the truth as for many hours a day the box will be "on"..

Spooooooooof

Rob van der Does
26-01-12, 09:10
I am not sure where you got your figures from (in particular the 20/1000) but in any case that calculation clearly distorts the truth as for many hours a day the box will be "on"..
20/1000 is to convert the powerconsumption of 20W to KWh.
And indeed, you're correct of course: it's only meant as a rough estimate on how much the box in standby really costs you. And actual powerconsumption in standby can also be more then the 20W in my example.

As many people will want to be able to access their box at all times, most boxes will be on 24/7. But especially secondary boxes (children/bedroom) are worth to be set to 'off' when not in use. Multiple times 175KWh is really a lot.