PDA

View Full Version : Auto stand by?

hifial
31-07-10, 23:51
Hi is their a plugin available or setting i've missed that would put the box into standby mode at say 1am to make sure the box is off over night. I'm no eco warrior but it would be great to make sure it wasn't running all night for no reason. I know ther is is a HDD sleep setting but I always find the box slows when changing channels for a few seconds when waking up the hard drive so I disable this feature.

Thanks

Sicilian
01-08-10, 10:16
What image are you using?

pooface
01-08-10, 10:46
Hi is their a plugin available or setting i've missed that would put the box into standby mode at say 1am to make sure the box is off over night. I'm no eco warrior but it would be great to make sure it wasn't running all night for no reason. I know ther is is a HDD sleep setting but I always find the box slows when changing channels for a few seconds when waking up the hard drive so I disable this feature.

Thanks

The reason why the box would be slow when changing channels if the hdd goes to standby, is because you must have your box set to use the picons from the hdd... If you move the picons from the hdd (/media/hdd/picons) to a usb drive* (/media/usb/picons), then there shouldn't be any slowdown when changing channels...

*Make sure that you have fully mounted the usb drive before putting the picons on there. To test, ensure you have the usb formatted and mounted, and then copy a test file over to it. Put the box into deep standby/shutdown, power off the box at the wall. Turn the box on, and navigate to the /media/usb and check that the test file is still there. There should also be a folder called "lost + found" there...

As for putting the box to standby, if you have the dreamelite blackhole image installed, then press blue button x 2, go to the blackhole cron manager, choose add, and there will be a predefined command that you can add there.

If not using the backhole image, you can always install the cron manager by gutemine (sorry, don't have it to hand to upload, but might be in some images download panels?!), and then create a job to standby from there (can't remember exact command required to do this, but can look in to it if no-one else answers and the above doesn't help :p)

hifial
01-08-10, 19:33
I'm using OpenPLI image

Thanks for the advice about the picons i'll move them onto a USB drive and at least I can let the HDD sleep.

Can you put this Cron manager onto a OpenPLI image?

pooface
01-08-10, 20:48
Never used it with pli image, but would imagine so, yes...

Will be back tomorrow evening, so depending on whether I get time, I'll post it then, if not, will post it on Tuesday...