PDA

View Full Version : [ET9x00] Latest updates causes boxes to slow down

Rimmel
22-01-12, 14:53
The latest updates via vix panel seems to have killed the speed on my et9000's. The ViX cursor is appearing when changing channels and allsorts.

2.3 vix. Any ideas?

thanks
CT

chrisjones
23-01-12, 16:55
Same prob here on VU+duo with build 190...

Sicilian
23-01-12, 16:56
We're aware of a couple of issues and working in the background to fix them.

Rimmel
23-01-12, 19:01
Brilliant - thanks

25-01-12, 16:46
Same prob here on VU+duo with build 190...

Yep - exact same issue with my Duo also. Channel changing is quite slow. I have to do a restart the box each time it occurs so it speeds up.

Hopefully fix is out soon as siclian says.

zola25
25-01-12, 17:03
Same here every now and then there seem to be a few small bugs with this new linux kernel.
Today i had a problem with the networkbrowser and also when i switched the tv on after recording lastnight i had a black screen and the box was locked up but in the display it said a recording has started.
I had to switch it off at the switch as i could not reboot it via telnet either but it did record the show.

paul362
26-01-12, 09:15
Ok justto add another confirmation to the mix my Vu Duo also ground to a halt yesterday and needed a reboot to cure it !! :confused:

Larry-G
26-01-12, 09:19
Ok justto add another confirmation to the mix my Vu Duo also ground to a halt yesterday and needed a reboot to cure it !! :confused:

try enabling the debug logging feature. then once you reboot forward the log with the date and time of the reboot to us for inspection.

paul362
26-01-12, 09:23
try enabling the debug logging feature. then once you reboot forward the log with the date and time of the reboot to us for inspection.

OK will do, quick guide to doing it please as im feeling dumb today :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Larry-G
26-01-12, 09:26
menu> setup> system> logs> settings> enable debug log.

zola25
26-01-12, 11:30
Hi networkbrowser still crashing and the odd lockups for no apparent reason here here is my latest crashlog and a debug log

paul362
26-01-12, 11:37
latest log 19th jan so will wait for the problem to arrise again then send log to you ! cheers :)

silverfox0786
27-01-12, 02:36
one thing to remeber guys is slowdown will also come if you have a hdd fitted in or out side teh bix that was initialised in linux 2.6.3x

you will need to re initialise it in linux 3.x and you will see a spead increese there alone

BadBoy
27-01-12, 08:00
Are you guys noticing some picture judder?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

paul362
27-01-12, 09:34
one thing to remeber guys is slowdown will also come if you have a hdd fitted in or out side teh bix that was initialised in linux 2.6.3x

you will need to re initialise it in linux 3.x and you will see a spead increese there alone

WHY ? whats the diffrence now with the formatting ???

+ kids will murder me for loosing all the recordings !:nono:

pooface
27-01-12, 09:42

I think silverfox was getting confused between converting and initialising...

Kernel 3.x is able to take advantage of ext4 format partitions, which 2.x was unable to... Apparantly, ext4 is slightly faster, although I haven't converted my drives over yet :p. But I am looking to in the near future anyway, as need to format the hdd anyway (so in the process of backing up nearly 2tb of recordings :p)

However, you can convert to ext4 from ext3 if you wish using the option in Menu -> Setup -> System -> HDD. But personally, I would prefer to make sure I have a backup of all recording before I did this, in case that causes me to loose the recordings! lol

Rob van der Does
27-01-12, 10:08
Anyway: using Ext3 on Linux 3.x will not cause any slow-downs.
Ext4 is advertised to be a bit faster on handling large files, so you might want to use Ext4 for that reason.
Conversion from Ext3 to Ext4 is supposed to leave all data in tact. I converted several HDD's that way, and observed no problems at all.

zola25
27-01-12, 10:46
I also converted to Ext4 with no problems all my recordings stayed intact

guff daddy
27-01-12, 12:51
Are you guys noticing some picture judder?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Now you mention it, yes I have. It is especially noticeable watching football - occasionally when the ball is passed (not necessarily a very fast pass) there is perceptible juddering/ghosting of the image of the ball...

guff daddy
27-01-12, 20:09
can't seem to edit but above post refers to VU+ Duo, not ET9000...

BadBoy
27-01-12, 23:21
Mine is ET9K

paul362
28-01-12, 18:18

QUICK update converted to EXT4 and all went well thanks guys and girls.:thumbsup:

BadBoy
28-01-12, 21:55
QUICK update converted to EXT4 and all went well thanks guys and girls.:thumbsup:

updated mine also

Rimmel
31-01-12, 16:17
After the recent updates I can confirm the slowdowns are still there. It seems to be from the usb memory stick I use for epg. These are the recommended (by the sponsor) sandisk cruzer blades. It seems that the box is putting them to sleep somehow. So after watching a film for an hour i go to change channel the box sticks trying to access the epg info on the usb stick. The same happens if you try and access the usb stick from ftp. It takes ages for it to become live.

I have initialised them and also put a swapfile on them.

thanks
CT
et5000s + et9000s

Sicilian
31-01-12, 16:23
I would re-flash fresh with the latest release. Then do not restore any backups, just setup fresh.

Larry-G
31-01-12, 16:50
After the recent updates I can confirm the slowdowns are still there. It seems to be from the usb memory stick I use for epg. These are the recommended (by the sponsor) sandisk cruzer blades. It seems that the box is putting them to sleep somehow. So after watching a film for an hour i go to change channel the box sticks trying to access the epg info on the usb stick. The same happens if you try and access the usb stick from ftp. It takes ages for it to become live.

thanks
CT
et5000s + et9000s

Both my boxes have a 4gb cruzor blade ( Uno and Duo ) generally i find they work very well, although i have had the odd time where the stick was not recognized but that was my own fault. are you running swap files all the time ? as this is a well known reason for slowing the box down substantially.

Rimmel
31-01-12, 18:11
I have just noticed that the mounts for the usb sticks keep disapearing in mount manager - a reboot restores them, but they are definitely disapearing.

Will try the swap file removal thanks.

Rob van der Does
31-01-12, 18:11
......So after watching a film for an hour i go to change channel the box sticks trying to access the epg info on the usb stick........
Well, whatever the reason of your problem is, it's not this. EPG data is always in live memory, and only read from file on system boot (and written on system shutdown)

This might give us a clue: using a SWAP-file always slows down any box. So the very first I would do is disable SWAP.
What was the reason in the first place to use one?

Sicilian
31-01-12, 18:12
Whats the filesystem on the usb sticks? EXT3 or 4?

Rimmel
31-01-12, 18:36
ext4 - I initialised them on the new image.

thanks
CT

Rimmel
31-01-12, 19:15

The et5000 wouldnt do online updates without one.

Still doing it with the swapfile removed (I have restarted box).

Sicilian
31-01-12, 19:24
ext4 - I initialised them on the new image.

thanks
CT

Have you re-flashed then?

Rob van der Does
31-01-12, 19:43
This might give us a clue: using a SWAP-file always slows down any box. So the very first I would do is disable SWAP.

The et5000 wouldnt do online updates without one.
Well, that shouldn't be a reason nowadays.
First of all, the box creates a temporary SWAP-file during an online upgrade. And secondly an 'unattended upgrade' evades the need for any SWAP at all (as Emigma is stopped, there's much mor memory available.

So there's no need to hamper your box by a SWAP-file.

Foxylady
31-01-12, 21:35
Now you mention it, yes I have. It is especially noticeable watching football - occasionally when the ball is passed (not necessarily a very fast pass) there is perceptible juddering/ghosting of the image of the ball...
This is happening on 2 of family's duo'd also.
It is like sharpened edges or slices on moving images.
This is on both as only since the new kernel, was never on prior to this.
As anyone come up with why this is?
It shows up even clearer when using pip mode in the smaller box.

Rimmel
03-02-12, 11:40
After more investigation the boxes are definitely losing the USB mounts when they have been in standby mode overnight. I have reflashed one of the boxes but left the other two alone. They all exhibit the same symptoms. Anyone else got disapearing USB mounts. The mounts disapearing is quite obvious as the picons stop appearing.

thanks
CT

spacemonkey
06-02-12, 23:27
I'm getting the same issue on both my VU Duo

Version 2.3 build 204
Hard disk: 1GB SATADOM for picons and epg data
Recordings to NFS

This setup has been running since the first release of VIX images
I have noticed than the process /usr/bin/enigma2 is running @ 50%+
all unused services are stopped
The issues happens if i have a swap file or not.
Re-flashed both boxes and configure all settings manually

Sicilian
07-02-12, 06:49
I'm getting the same issue on both my VU Duo

Version 2.3 build 204
Hard disk: 1GB SATADOM for picons and epg data
Recordings to NFS

This setup has been running since the first release of VIX images
I have noticed than the process /usr/bin/enigma2 is running @ 50%+
all unused services are stopped
The issues happens if i have a swap file or not.
Re-flashed both boxes and configure all settings manually

What is the filesystem on your USB stick? Try formating whilst connected to the Duo so it uses EXT4.

spacemonkey
07-02-12, 09:42
I don't have any usb devices connected, the SATADOM is a Flash Disk Module formatted to EXT 4 which is plugged into the SATA port.

http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=12113

Stanman
07-02-12, 19:41
I don't have any usb devices connected, the SATADOM is a Flash Disk Module formatted to EXT 4 which is plugged into the SATA port.

http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=12113

Do you have a USB stick to try? It may be down to that particular device.

I have three makes of USB stick play.com branded, san cruzer and Kingston GT and all stay mounted.