PDA

View Full Version : Online update question

Markymark
20-01-12, 18:36
Hi,

Maybe this is a silly question, however as this is my first Linux tv box, not sure how the updates process work. Does the box auto download and install updates?

If I go to that online update option and press "update" - does the box just download only stable and tested updates? I would hate to press that and find its downloading beta files that send the box over the edge?

I've not seen anything written that says when new online updates are released - which made me think maybe it's like Ubuntu and updates are pushed out all the time?

Larry-G
20-01-12, 18:44
There are two series of images. The beta image and the release image. so as your using the release image it will only connect to and download updates for the release image and the same for the beta image. as for the updates them selves you will see a flashing green light on the info bar to tell you updates are available then you can go through the software update process. you can also download full images to flash via usb from the image manager.

one thing to note though do not perform a software update if you are using the older 2.3 image with the 2.6.xx kernel ( pre build 153 ) as the update to the new kernel needs a full reflash.

pooface
20-01-12, 18:56
As Phoenix said, there are beta and release. Us beta testers have beta image, and the release is for public. Unlike PLi, who are more like you're Ubuntu example, and push updates add soon as they've coded them...

Sent with Tapatalk

Markymark
20-01-12, 20:43
So on the Uno - this flashing green light, what does it look like? My kernel is 3.1.1, so is that ok for online updates.

Larry-G
20-01-12, 20:46
just press the ok button to bring up the info screen. its the small round icon between the satellite location and the record icon ( using the vix skins )

Markymark
20-01-12, 21:16
I wondered what that light was, I thought it was something to do with the box downloading data from the internet. :) All updated now - really impressed how quickly these updates seem to come. I notice the current build im on is dated the 18th Jan - very impressive to push out tested stable releases in such short time frames.

jaylar
21-01-12, 13:46
If you do an online update do all your setting stay the same epg. harddrive mounts ECT .

Larry-G
21-01-12, 13:50
If you do an online update do all your setting stay the same epg. harddrive mounts ECT .

yes they should all stay the same but to be safe it is always wise to make a settings backup and image backup in case of a worst case scenario. after all it only takes a few minutes to make a backup and can save you from a big headache if some thing goes wrong.

jaylar
21-01-12, 13:52
Cheers mate