PDA

View Full Version : Flashing a new image after two years of using an old version!

PAUL7331
20-01-12, 14:31
Hi guys, im thinking of flashing a new image after a couple of years using an open pli one. I'm just wondering do I need to update drivers or anything special first? If so how?

Or can I just go right ahead and flash the new vix team image on there via usb without doing any work first?

Also I have a sky card inserted in to my vu+ duo and im quitting my sub, so my mate who is connected to me I will no longer want him to connect, so how do I make sure I can remove him completely from my server? Will flashing a new image cure this? (ive read horror stories of people being able to connect to peoples cards even when they have removed them from cccam)

zola25
20-01-12, 14:52
First thing to do is back up any thing you want to keep like your cccam cfg file sorry but most things to do with clines etc are off limits.
Before you flash the latest images you need to update the bootloader first make sure that is the only file on the usb stick when you do that.
Next flash the latest image you decide on (i like the ViX image at the moment)

PAUL7331
20-01-12, 18:31
First thing to do is back up any thing you want to keep like your cccam cfg file sorry but most things to do with clines etc are off limits.
Before you flash the latest images you need to update the bootloader first make sure that is the only file on the usb stick when you do that.
Next flash the latest image you decide on (i like the ViX image at the moment)

Thanks mate, ok so how do I know which bootloader to flash? Is it just the latest one?

Larry-G
20-01-12, 18:38
yes you need to flash the latest bootloader named duo_cfe_3_0_usb.zip it is in the release thread for the vix 2.3 kernel 3.1.1 image.

you can get both here.
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?14236-Vu-Duo-ViX-2-3-(Linux-3-1-1)-25-12-2011

once you have the bootloader and image flashed run a update to take the image to the latest version.
blue button > vix > software update.

PAUL7331
20-01-12, 19:08
yes you need to flash the latest bootloader named duo_cfe_3_0_usb.zip it is in the release thread for the vix 2.3 kernel 3.1.1 image.

you can get both here.
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?14236-Vu-Duo-ViX-2-3-(Linux-3-1-1)-25-12-2011

once you have the bootloader and image flashed run a update to take the image to the latest version.
blue button > vix > software update.

Thanks buddy, so flash the bootloader, flash the image and then update the image, got it! :thumbsup:

Just a quick question, I own x2 vu+ duo's (one upstairs and one downstairs) but im selling one. Should I sell the one with the black remote (newer one) or the earlier one with white remote? I mean does one have newer and 'better' components in than the other or are they literally all the same under the bonnet?

Larry-G
20-01-12, 19:45
there both the same barring colour. why not offer the potential buyer the choice of which remote he or she would prefer, thats if you dont prefer to keep one particular colour for your self obviously.

PAUL7331
22-01-12, 19:17
there both the same barring colour. why not offer the potential buyer the choice of which remote he or she would prefer, thats if you dont prefer to keep one particular colour for your self obviously.

I'm not really fussed what remote I keep buddy. Itsvgood to know both boxes are the same as I heard the 'version 2' had better components so obviously somebody was telling porkies! :rolleyes:

Spoof
23-01-12, 17:22
I'm not really fussed what remote I keep buddy. Itsvgood to know both boxes are the same as I heard the 'version 2' had better components so obviously somebody was telling porkies! :rolleyes:

The older box (not saying you have one) couldn't record from deep standby.

Larry-G
23-01-12, 17:25

I was speaking about the remote, The receiver it self has gone through several main board revisions, not too sure about the remote but I have certainly not noticed a difference between my white and black duo remotes baring the colour of course.

PAUL7331
23-01-12, 21:40
I was speaking about the remote, The receiver it self has gone through several main board revisions, not too sure about the remote but I have certainly not noticed a difference between my white and black duo remotes baring the colour of course.
o
That's what I mean mate, so my newer box may have slightly upgraded bits inside?

By the way I've flashed. The latest vix image on to the box coupled with latest bootloader and it's running a treat!

Larry-G
23-01-12, 21:51
o
That's what I mean mate, so my newer box may have slightly upgraded bits inside?

By the way I've flashed. The latest vix image on to the box coupled with latest bootloader and it's running a treat!

yes the newer box will likely have a newer revision main board. it's stamped on the board so easy to tell once you have the lid off. for example my own Duo is a early model with the white remote and a 1. something or other revision board. the newest ones are 2.3 i believe.

PAUL7331
23-01-12, 22:53
So do you reckon I'm better selling my older box then mate?

Stanman
23-01-12, 23:02
So do you reckon I'm better selling my older box then mate?

If its working fine and doing what you want than no but if you want something new to try, than leave that to you to decide.

Huevos
24-01-12, 21:57
my mate who is connected to me I will no longer want him to connect, so how do I make sure I can remove him completely from my server? Will flashing a new image cure this?If you flash with the latest VIX image there are no softcams included. If you need one you would have to add it manually. Also if you don't want your box visible to the outside world turn off port forwarding on your router.

PAUL7331
24-01-12, 22:50
If you flash with the latest VIX image there are no softcams included. If you need one you would have to add it manually. Also if you don't want your box visible to the outside world turn off port forwarding on your router.

Sorted mate, thanks! :)