PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Duo] Issue with streaming HD to computer

matthewy2
19-01-12, 22:31
Has anybody else started having issues streaming hd to the computer.

Mine has always worked perfect till recently.

It did start happening around the time i upgraded to 2.3 but i dont think it has nothing to do with that.

Is there anything i can do to sort this?

Stanman
19-01-12, 22:33
Is your web browser blue?

If so than its a plugin issue as I get same here.

You could try going back to the old plugin, which is in the feeds.

Personally hardly any noticeable diff between sd and hd on a pc so would stick with it.

Braggster
20-01-12, 12:33
I had the same issue when i tried to watch tv HD channels on my netboook, and thought it was my netbook being not HD compatable!! so i just watch what i ever i intend on watching in SD as mentioned by Stan no difference..

snakie
20-01-12, 20:49
Laptop needs quite good processor for HD channells.

Stanman
20-01-12, 21:05
Laptop needs quite good processor for HD channells.

Not processor issue. I have a I7 desktop with 6GB ram connected to the box via GB homeplug and switch. imho its plugin as never had issue on old one but as its a work in progress and a dam good effort in a matter of weeks, gonna stick with it.

Markymark
20-01-12, 21:20
I have noticed this as well. Its also the case with the istream app on the ipad. It plays SD really well, however HD just a few bits before it freezes.

Its hard to believe that webif is the result of a few weeks coding - absolutely amazing and the only way we will get improvements im guessing is if people use it and find out the little bugs.

matthewy2
21-01-12, 18:30
Hey boys,

Just to let you all know i fixed this issue on mine.

I noticed my internet was not running at 20mbs to.

So i did a speed test and realised i was only getting 5 megs.

Restarted my router and homes plugs and bang its all fixed.

Back in love with my box :)

Hope this helps you lot

Markymark
21-01-12, 19:17
What so you think the problem is data speed? But when I use it internally I still can't stream hd.

Do we know what MB rate we need for SD ane HD respectively?

Stanman
21-01-12, 19:28
Hey boys,

Just to let you all know i fixed this issue on mine.

I noticed my internet was not running at 20mbs to.

So i did a speed test and realised i was only getting 5 megs.

Restarted my router and homes plugs and bang its all fixed.

Back in love with my box :)

Hope this helps you lot

You can stream HD channels without stuttering?

Just watching ESPN HD and its suttering for me and this is all on a GB network, though box is only 100MB. Its better than SS1 which was work but def not smooth at all.

Markymark
21-01-12, 20:00
Does the box not compress the feed that is sent out in the stream? Would this not be an idea for future development, maybe creating a plugin that allows the streaming quality to be selected - assuming streaming problems are linked to capacity.

Dell_XPS
21-01-12, 20:03
I can stream HD channels no problem, no stuttering at all, however when I used the new web interface (blue one, it stuttered), changed back to the old one and it streams perfect to my iMac i7 :-), using VLC to stream is also just as good, just change the settings in VLC to stream to whatever best for you.
HTH

Markymark
21-01-12, 20:57
Where are the stream settings in vlc?

Istreamgate app doesn't stream hd, nor does the Webif. However maybe it's something in the coding if the new one does work and the old one does.

matthewy2
21-01-12, 21:05
I was on about streaming internally by the way.

Its working a treat now :)

Markymark
21-01-12, 21:11
Well you have clearly some magical trick as I can't get hd to stream internally. Care to share all your settings?

matthewy2
21-01-12, 21:32
I dont do anything special mate.

Have your tried using that dreambox manager suite.

How is your computer and vu box connected to your network?

Markymark
21-01-12, 21:54
Oh are you streaming through Dreambox Edit? Not tried that method.

Box is on Ethernet to router and laptop / iPad rinds wireless off the router. Running easily in strong range of the router.

Dell_XPS
22-01-12, 00:41
My setup, cannot stream HD to iPhones or IPads m8, just SD, to iMac HD no probs, my setup is as follows,
iMac i7 2.9 16gb ram, comtrend home plugs, one plug to Netgear wireless N router, other plug into Vu, stream wireless to IMac using wireless N, stream to iPhones & IPads using wireless G, router has option to use both g & n at same time.Using old web tv, I can stream HD without any probs, any questions just ask :-)

punisher
22-01-12, 10:20
Yeh ive notice same too, streaming HD with the new open webif is pretty mich a nono at the moment but never ever had issues streaming HD and SD internally using the old webinterface

Sicilian
22-01-12, 10:27
Moved to correct section and correct pre-fix added, please re-read http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?15017-ViX-Team-Support-Centre-added-to-the-Forum&p=109223#post109223

matthewy2
22-01-12, 12:13
Yeh ive notice same too, streaming HD with the new open webif is pretty mich a nono at the moment but never ever had issues streaming HD and SD internally using the old webinterface

Im streaming everything perfect now. Try restarting the router and home plugs gents.

Are your home plugs any good, what speed are they?

punisher
22-01-12, 12:18
I was about to post the same, with the new openwebif HD streaming is pretty perfect and im wireless too lol

Markymark
22-01-12, 12:40
Anybody got hd streaming to the iPad via istream gate or similar apps?

punisher
22-01-12, 18:06
ive got the app on my ipad, will test it when i get home

Dell_XPS
22-01-12, 19:31
Anybody got hd streaming to the iPad via istream gate or similar apps?

Didn't realise there was a prog to stream HD, guys review says it's ok, has lip sync issues with the Vu though, worth £1.49.

Markymark
22-01-12, 19:43
Cracking app for the price. Just for life of me can't get HD streaming to run on it. Tried resetting routers, the box even the iPad.

punisher
22-01-12, 19:45
were u able to stream to ipad in hd before?

Markymark
22-01-12, 20:24
Well as being fairly new to this, don't think I've ever seen a version that was "the old one" :)

It is sticky on the pc in HD, as people have reported. It's something causing it, personal guess is something really simple like a codec, however I know nothing about how these boxes work. :s

It's a shame the Webif can't have a an option to control the stream quality output. If a low, standard and high option was provided, it would probably enable more people to stream, even if in a lower quality.

punisher
22-01-12, 20:28
the dreambox live app on the iphone/ipad allows u to select quality of the picture but that app only works in SD and not HD. like mentioned above HD streaming via internal network now seems to be fine, for me anyway. i have my ET9K connected to router via ethernet cable and i have 100mb broadband too using the virgin media superhub, so nothing fancy there lol

Markymark
22-01-12, 20:36
I was thinking if it's the O2 hub that I have - however on an internal network, there is no reason why this shouldn't be pushing out data at the required rate for HD. The box is going in on Ethernet and then data sent out on wireless.

Actually just going to try Ethernet cable into the router - that way it's Ethernet to Ethernet.

punisher
22-01-12, 20:38
yeh as it might be ur wireless that isnt strong enough to do HD

Markymark
22-01-12, 20:40
What are others getting on Istreamgate HD channels?

Dell_XPS
22-01-12, 20:55
Not got it yet, buggerd my iMac keyboard cleaning it, ouch, £60 for a new one :-(, my iPad 2 is jail broken, cough :-)

Markymark
22-01-12, 21:12
Solved the wireless problem - well say solved, we know what the problem is for PC HD streaming.

It's the wireless part of the router. Ethernet to Ethernet is fine, however Ethernet to Wifi is the problem. This is strange though as it only pulls in 3.5mb from the box, so why the wireless cant push this out over the wireless network, I dont know.

Markymark
22-01-12, 21:28
Whilst I'm at it, on istreamgate has anyone got their recordings to show up in it?

punisher
22-01-12, 21:36
Yeh all my NAS is mounted to my ET9K for my recordings and those show up in recordings and stream too in istreamgate

Dell_XPS
22-01-12, 21:38
Punisher can you post a screen shot of an HD channel on iPad 2 m8 please :-), any sync issues ?

Markymark
22-01-12, 21:43
Have you got the ushare switched on though in your box settings punisher? I've not - but thinking this could be the problem?

punisher
22-01-12, 21:50
No my ushare is disabled. I cant stream HD to ipad, processing power isnt good enough i think but to my laptop it streams pretty much perfect with probably 1 glitch in 3minutes which is as perfect as i can expect it to be lol

Markymark
22-01-12, 21:55
So how are you able to find your recordings? Not get Apple file share or anything like that on? Just my recordings option on the iPad is blank, yet other apps pick them up - so wasn't sure if it was a app issue. Can't be if yours is working though.

So is the lack of hd an iPad processing power problem then? Mine is 2 secs of pic, pause for 5 and then then 2 more - however the quality of the pic I get is amazing.

punisher
22-01-12, 21:58
yeh quality is amazing but i think it is processing power as like i said streaming HD works perfect on my laptop which is wireless but streaming HD to ipad just doesnt work. i will try the old web interface as im sure i was able to stream HD on my ipad before this new openwebif came along.

im not sure how i found my recordings, its just always worked for me lol

Markymark
22-01-12, 22:03
Lol - thats excellent support! :p (judging my some comments people post, que a rant now) lol

I'll have a play and see what the different settings do if anything on the recordings available in the app. Would be good if it works on the old Webif - as that provides hope we could get it, on the new one in the future.

punisher
22-01-12, 22:49
Yeh the new openwebif is a work in progress and considering its only been around a month or so, the future potential of plugin is insane lol im sure there will be plenty good coming from it in the future

Markymark
22-01-12, 22:53
Totally agree! Let's hope this is one issue they can get around.

punisher
22-01-12, 23:14
Ok, so tried the old webinterface plugin and even with that, HD streaming doesnt really work either. SD works perfect so guess it must be hardware limitations

Dell_XPS
23-01-12, 00:05
VLC streamer app for iPad worth a shot, can't get on my iMac as keyboard is gubbed, so will have to wait to try it.

Rob van der Does
23-01-12, 03:44
Does the box not compress the feed that is sent out in the stream? Would this not be an idea for future development, maybe creating a plugin that allows the streaming quality to be selected - assuming streaming problems are linked to capacity.

.....It's a shame the Webif can't have a an option to control the stream quality output. If a low, standard and high option was provided, it would probably enable more people to stream, even if in a lower quality.
No way a STB would ever be able to re-code video. Even a heavyweight PC takes it's time for that!

......So is the lack of hd an iPad processing power problem then? Mine is 2 secs of pic, pause for 5 and then then 2 more - however the quality of the pic I get is amazing.
Well, it has been said before: to watch HD a fairly good PC is needed. No way a phone could ever do that.

Ok, so tried the old webinterface plugin and even with that, HD streaming doesnt really work either. SD works perfect so guess it must be hardware limitations
As the WEB-IF doesn't 'do' anything with the stream at all, it would be surprising if there was a difference between the old and new version in this area.