PDA

View Full Version : I will pay if someone can help me on the phone to set up my vu+ duo !!!

merlin1969
14-01-12, 10:36
Hi Guy's....

Ive really been struggling to even get a picture on my VU+ DUO ...... tried many things but this is all too much for me :(

i cant even get freeview on my unit

i have the VU+ DUO and a normal fixed Sky dish on my wall im in the UK

If anyone is willing to babysit me through getting this unit up and running ill send you £20 through Paypal ....

I know this sounds pathetic but id love to have some tv on today .... i cancelled sky tv on thursday been with them for 14 years

PLEASE HELP SOMEONE i love my sport on a saturday.

tsx
14-01-12, 10:47
I would hope that not needed, although a nice offer.

Can I suggest you list down what you've done since plugging in.

BTW have you set it up with an ip and uploaded a bouqet and satellite.xml yet?

merlin1969
14-01-12, 10:51
hello, thanks for the reply.

to be honest im lost ...

on my screen now i see OPENViX VU+ DUO LOADING

i have my sky card in the top slot "not sure if this is correct"

im really sorry but im "very" lost here been chasing my tail and im in a pickle now :rolleyes:

dmgp
14-01-12, 11:12
Merlin1969 If you have only a fixed dish you should have set tuner A up for 28.2 and tuner B as equal to tuner A then when you access the menu go to setup, sevice searching, manual searching, single satellitemake sure it's showing Astra at 28.2 then press OK to scan..Where abouts are you roughly.

merlin1969
14-01-12, 11:14
im in Nottingham

merlin1969
14-01-12, 11:17
just tried that and it found only 13 channels.

before when i did an automatic scan i found 1014 channels BUT when i press EPG it is blank :(

Maxwell
14-01-12, 11:21
Lets start from the beginning here, so first off do a factory reset as this will get rid of any erroneous settings you may have inadvertently changed.

Press Menu
scroll down to setup and press ok
scroll down to Factory reset and press ok
select yes and press ok

Once it reboots and brings up the setup wizard go through the procedures especially the network setup, for Tuner select Simple,Single, Astra 1N/2A/2B/2D/Eurobird 1(28.2E) and say No to Diseqc.

This should setup your box on the 'Sky' satellite

once you have finished with the setup wizard - Reboot

merlin1969
14-01-12, 11:24
ill give it a try, thank you.

tsx
14-01-12, 11:27
Right, first thing is to forget about the sky card as I believe you need to first concentrate on configuring the box.

Are you running the VIX image? 2.3?

First try as Maxwell says, to setup the tuner, then.

I would plug it into your home network and setup the networking. (if not already done)

On your PC, download dreamboxedit and Vix settings from
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?8058-ViX-Team-Enigma-2-SD-settings-for-28-2E
(you can choose different ones later once you get used to it)

Install dreamboxedit, and extract the vix settings to a folder.

Open the dreamboxedit and open the options page. Fill in the ip address, and click test username/password. (don't worry about the 'test ip connection' for the moment).

Next choose open, and then browse to the folder you extracted the vix settings to.

You should now see a list of all the channels.

Next choose, file, ftp, "send files to dreambox"

Restart the box and at least you now have channels listed.

merlin1969
14-01-12, 11:29
ok did all of that, did a manual scan and it found 13 services all SKY but if i press EPG its blank.

this is a reply to Maxwell ... not tsx.

dmgp
14-01-12, 11:32
I think maybe you are doing a manual scan on just one transponder

Maxwell
14-01-12, 11:36
Dont bother with scanning

Once rebooted check you have network access
menu>setup>system>Network>Device Setup>Network test - green button to test.

Assuming everything is ok with the network, exit out of all the menus

Long press the Blue button to bring up the plugins menu then press the green button to download plugins
first one highlighted should be Settings press ok then scroll down to the one that says vix.silverfox0786.28e and press ok

This should download and install the settings for 28e

At this point I would reboot just to make sure that everything is loaded ok

You should now have all channels loaded and be able to view the FTA ones

Dont worry about epg at the moment

merlin1969
14-01-12, 11:38
i thought i was ok with setting dvd's and old vcr's up and i know my way around a pc but this is mindblowing to me .... im really a beginner here .... i dont think ive ever been so lost at something ... ill keep trying different things until i get a picture :( why cant they make this so you just plug your cables in the back, press scan and bingo lol

merlin1969
14-01-12, 11:39
yes network is all good. ill try this now.

merlin1969
14-01-12, 11:43
yesssssssssssssssssssssssss lol i now have a picture :)))))) thank you ;))))

now do i do anything from here ?

cosie
14-01-12, 11:45
this is what i would do m8.
go here http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?14236-Vu-Duo-ViX-2-3-(Linux-3-1-1)-25-12-2011
extract the usb zip to a usb stick.then turn your duo of at the back of the unit.plug usb stick into front usb slot.
turn on your duo and wait till it says finished on the front screen of the box.then turn of at the back.
next thing to do is erase the files that are on your usb stick.now extrtact the other file you downloaded to the usb stick and plug it into your dua as before.turn on the duo at the back and wait for it to say finished on the front screen of the box.whebn it does turn of at the back remove usb stick and turn on your duo.wait for it to start the wizard for you to setup your box.when you have that done get back to us m8 ok.make sure your stick is formated to fat 32

ooops didnt see you had it going as i was typing in the meantime lol

Maxwell
14-01-12, 11:56
this is what i would do m8.
go here http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?14236-Vu-Duo-ViX-2-3-(Linux-3-1-1)-25-12-2011
extract the usb zip to a usb stick.then turn your duo of at the back of the unit.plug usb stick into front usb slot.
turn on your duo and wait till it says finished on the front screen of the box.then turn of at the back.
next thing to do is erase the files that are on your usb stick.now extrtact the other file you downloaded to the usb stick and plug it into your dua as before.turn on the duo at the back and wait for it to say finished on the front screen of the box.whebn it does turn of at the back remove usb stick and turn on your duo.wait for it to start the wizard for you to setup your box.when you have that done get back to us m8 ok.make sure your stick is formated to fat 32

ooops didnt see you had it going as i was typing in the meantime lol

No need for reflashing

yesssssssssssssssssssssssss lol i now have a picture :)))))) thank you ;))))

now do i do anything from here ?

Yes lots :D

merlin1969
14-01-12, 11:57
do i extract it just onto the usb stick or does it have to go into the "duo" folder ? i tried is said reading but went off very quickly and did not say finished

merlin1969
14-01-12, 11:57
ok go on :( lol

merlin1969
14-01-12, 11:59
ok go on :( lol

my sky card is still in the box is this ok ?

Stanman
14-01-12, 12:02
Now go herer http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?5921-Cams-for-ViX-Team-images

and download and put on your desktop the file cccam 2.3.0

You than need to download and install two programmes call putty and filezilla

http://filezilla-project.org/

http://www.putty.org/

Filezilla you need the client version NOT server.

Once done, you follow the instructions from here to get your sly card working. If you do not have movies and sports this is all you need to do.

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?9735-How-to-Install-CCcam-MGCamd-Others-on-Duo-Solo-Uno-ET9000-ET5000-ViX

Maxwell
14-01-12, 12:02
Dont follow that post from cosie you will have to start from the beginning if you do.

next you need to get your Sly card running with your box, here are some instructions,
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?7376-CCcam-amp-Sly-Setup-on-VIX-2-0-by-dymebox

be careful what you say if you have any questions on that as CCcam discussion is not allowed on the forum

Stanman
14-01-12, 12:03
Dont follow that post from cosie you will have to start from the beginning if you do.

next you need to get your Sly card running with your box, here are some instructions,
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?7376-CCcam-amp-Sly-Setup-on-VIX-2-0-by-dymebox

be careful what you say if you have any questions on that as CCcam discussion is not allowed on the forum

Not quite right Maxwell, you can get help for your own personal card but we will NOT allow ANY discussuion on card sharing.

merlin1969
14-01-12, 12:04
sure..... my sly card is in but i cancelled my sky on thursday so i can only get free to air ...

Stanman
14-01-12, 12:05
Than follow the instructions in my first post on this page and you will get the FTV channels clearing for you.

Maxwell
14-01-12, 12:10
Not quite right Maxwell, you can get help for your own personal card but we will NOT allow ANY discussuion on card sharing.

Thanks Stan just erring on the side of caution

Stanman
14-01-12, 12:12
Thanks Stan just erring on the side of caution

Fair does mate, if in doubt err on the side of caution.

cosie
14-01-12, 12:24
[QUOTE=Maxwell4321;108954]Dont follow that post from cosie you will have to start from the beginning if you do.
i just wanted to make sure his on the latest vix image,also starting a fresh is best if his done alot of changes etc

Stanman
14-01-12, 12:27
[QUOTE=Maxwell4321;108954]Dont follow that post from cosie you will have to start from the beginning if you do.
i just wanted to make sure his on the latest vix image,also starting a fresh is best if his done alot of changes etc

It is but he did a factory reset, so everything bar CFG files would have been removed. Not speaking for Maxwell but from my reading of the post it was not criticism of your post but rather to prevent the OP going into another minefield;)

merlin1969
14-01-12, 12:57
sort of still struggling, offer still open if someone wants £20

Stanman
14-01-12, 13:05
What are you struggling with?

This is a free and friendly forum and we do not want people offering money for help here.

If you post your problem people will help, we do not need financial inducement.

If you cannot get to grips with the basics, than you really need to reevaluate whether Linux boxes are for you.

merlin1969
14-01-12, 13:16
i have freeview now *thank you* but im struggling to filezila and "putty" i do not know my external ip address, it asks for my username and password but to what ? i just dont want to press a button or uninstall what i have done to get this far ....

Stanman
14-01-12, 13:29
If you want to "thank you" a poster, there is button on the post.

First of all make sure telnet is enabled by following these instructions.

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?12558-Tutorial-How-to-enable-the-default-Telnet-client-in-Windows-7

For filezilla :-
Hostname is the box IP address
Username is root
password is blank - you can change it via putty though

to connect with putty:-

You need to select the telnet radial button in connection type

Host name is the IP address of the box and port is 23.

When connected in the cmd window type in root and you will be connected to the box
than type in passwd and enter the new password twice - once after each prompt.

You will need to remember this password and will need to put it into filezilla or any other porgramm you use to connect with the box.

cosie
14-01-12, 13:42
i think merlin wants all sly channles,but he has canceled his sub

merlin1969
14-01-12, 14:04
correct, i cancelled after 14 years of paying £40-50 a month thought i would try this route.

merlin1969
14-01-12, 14:05
ok nearly there,

vuduo login: root

but then the next line says

root@vuduo:~#

what do i type there please ?

Stanman
14-01-12, 14:10
correct, i cancelled after 14 years of paying £40-50 a month thought i would try this route.

You will get NO help with that whatsoever on this forum.

Did you actually read the rules?

Larry-G
14-01-12, 14:13

well i'm sorry to say this but if your after that kind of thing best head to google. we can and will help you set up a official sub with the box but as you cancelled your sub you have no other means of getting the channels legally, we can not and will not help with that.

merlin1969
14-01-12, 14:21
i didnt mean that i sold my sky box ... so i cancelled my subsciption, i needed a new box to watch tv so i bought this one.

this is why i asked earlier how to get the free to air channels.

Stanman
14-01-12, 14:27
If its just the Free to air channels, your sorted put the CCcam as per earlier post and create CFG and put your old card in and away you go.

merlin1969
14-01-12, 14:32
ok nearly there,

Larry-G
14-01-12, 14:35
i didnt mean that i sold my sky box ... so i cancelled my subsciption, i needed a new box to watch tv so i bought this one.

this is why i asked earlier how to get the free to air channels.

In that case i apologize if i offended you, however we have to be very careful with threads like this due to the nature of the topic and it's obvious legal ramifications.

ok nearly there,

you can leave that blank and just hit enter as the default password is blank. however if you want to secure the box type passwd.
This will initiate a password reset and you will be prompted to enter a new password. enter the password then press enter, you will have to do this twice but dont worry if you dont see a prompt between the two. Once done the new password will be in effect.

merlin1969
14-01-12, 14:39
no worries, i was alarmed lol but i did read some terms and would never get you or anyone else on this site into trouble by asking the dumbest questions.

snookera
14-01-12, 17:22
Send me your number I live in Nottingham wollaton pm me only I will sort you out mate

Sicilian
14-01-12, 17:30
All the info you need is on the forum, we do not condone threads like this offering payment for information freely available on the forum.

Alias1
14-01-12, 18:16
I am going to put my 2 cents worth in here and I dont give a rats if I offend any one.
Poeple who have NFI idea about linix boxes or linux in general should NEVER even consider getting as box like this.
I did a shitload of reading about these boxes before I even considered getting one even went to the extent of loading linux in a VE on my PC.
I now have 9 years of experience on these linux boxes and I am still learning.
Look at this thread 5 pages of real basic questions by the OP and it should be obivious to anyone on here he is in way over his head.

Stanman
14-01-12, 18:51
I am going to put my 2 cents worth in here and I dont give a rats if I offend any one.
Poeple who have NFI idea about linix boxes or linux in general should NEVER even consider getting as box like this.
I did a shitload of reading about these boxes before I even considered getting one even went to the extent of loading linux in a VE on my PC.
Look at this thread 5 pages of real basic questions by the OP and it should be obivious to anyone on here he is in way over his head.

Read post 31 you numpty:D. Its hardly surprising at your age (95) that you are still learning.:D;)

Alias1
14-01-12, 22:25
Read post 31 you numpty:D. Its hardly surprising at your age (95) that you are still learning.:D;)
Damn I am going blind as well :)
Gotta give that hand a rest lol

snookera
15-01-12, 01:21
Damn I am going blind as well :)
Gotta give that hand a rest lol
Some people are a bit slow to learn nine years took me 30 mins to learn how to FTP some people do jump in at the deep end but you got to start somewhere

silverfox0786
15-01-12, 02:17
it not too hard to learn

i started linux sat back in october 2010 and was out of the sat game before that for over 10 years

and i picked it up real quick

it does feel daunting but the truth is a bit of reading and trying gets you to new hights

Larry-G
15-01-12, 06:51

I agree that these boxes are not for every one and people should always do their homework before jumping head first in, I my self like you have over 9 years experience with Linux boxes and another 15 on top of that with satellite tv in general. However that being said we will never turn some one away who needs our help.

@merlin1969

I know it is difficult for people new to the hobby to get their heads around a lot of the terminology we use and a lot of the time it can feel like your taking one step forward and 8 backwards but there is no easy fix. offering payment to some one to come and setup your receiver is the wrong thing to do for two main reasons.

1. all the information you need is on this forum, freely available
2. what happens when a update goes wrong or a channel you watch changes frequency ? are you going to offer payment again for some one to fix things for you once more ?. because if you are then you are going to be spending a lot of money putting things right and you wont learn a thing that will help you sort those problems your self.

personally i love the world of satellite TV and all that comes with it, This is my life long hobby and like most i have no problem saying that even after all these years i am still learning something new almost daily. As i said at the top of this reply, we will never turn down a genuine plea for help but you need to do a lot of reading and learning for your self. If this stage is too hard for you to grasp then i would recommend you sell the receiver and go back to sky uk.

vu-duo-user
15-01-12, 09:41
I set up a so called friends reciever and all I got was " when are you coming round as I have lost so and so channel", no payment given or recieved. Most of it was down to his miss aligned dish after some building work on his house, this I found out much later. Phone call after phone call did my head in. We walk pass each other now.

TK4|2|1
15-01-12, 09:45
There are always freesat boxes available if you can't get your head around Linux boxes, simple plug n play.

Sent by using sourcery and the magic interweb

Maxwell
15-01-12, 10:36
Got to say I am somewhat disappointed by some of the posts in this thread :(
I thought we were a friendly helpful forum for noobs and experts alike but apparently not, in the eyes of some unless you were born with a keyboard in hand and good understanding of networking, PC's and associated software you can just go away and stop bothering us.

We all had to start somewhere and you learn as you go.

Yes the OP is asking the most basic questions but they are only basic if you are already familiar with the answer. Whilst I agree that the info needed is all here and freely available it can be difficult trying to find the correct advice for your particular problem.

My intention when I originally replied to the OP was to get him exactly what he asked for which was to just get him a picture as fast as possible, once this was achieved he could then begin his learning curve as with his subsequent questions he could have been directed to the various helpful guides and sticky's. But no lets just say that he is not suitable to own this type of box so bollox to him.

And as stated in one of the other posts, I dont care if you are offended by this.

@Phoenix
Your post is the most sensible thing that has been said so far and I agree completely :thumbsup:

Alias1
15-01-12, 11:03
@maxewell4321
Have you ever heard of the following; you have reached the point of diminishing returns.
Its clear to me that this guy isnt even trying to find the answer before asking the question; obliviously he does not even know what the search button does.
As I have stated before I dont mind helping people out BUT I expect them to do at least some reading before asking the simplest of questions.
My advice is sell the box and buy a plug and play one.
Now I am going to leave this one alone.

Larry-G
15-01-12, 11:30
For my part in this thread i would like to apologize as i have been very busy with work for the last few weeks and not been able to offer the kind of help that I would normally.

@merlin1969

If you still need help post back and we will see what we can do for you. but please don't offer payment to any one for this service, That is something I very strongly disagree with and it will ultimately not help you either.

merlin1969
16-01-12, 17:22
yeah numpty !!!

merlin1969
16-01-12, 17:31
Just like to thank a member who came around, sat withme for 3 hours went through everything, showed me what is what and how to do AND what NOT to do ... i now maybe know more about this than them 95 year old member who after 10 years is still learning BUT if you asked me for help..... i would :D ..... not bitch on because you have learned SFA over the past few years !!

Thank you to the members who have been patient with me and tried to support a total novice ... "we ALL have to learn sometimes"

And thank you to the member who taught me how to operate my system now :)