PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive Upgrade?

BadBoy
12-01-12, 15:42
Whats the best method of upgrading my receiver hard drive without loosing anything?

Receiver ET9000, Running latest vix image.

tsx
12-01-12, 17:21
If it was me, I like starting things like that clean, and use the opportunity to tidy everything up, so I would probably.

Backup my settings, image, picons, etc...
Attach USB media or mount a network drive, and copy all backups and recorded media over.
Replace the HD
Then either:
1) Restore settings, picons and any lost config
or
2) Set up everything again nice and clean.

Then copy back anything I really wanted i.e. recorded movies/tv/etc...

*IIRC most settings and config is store internally in flash, its only your recorded programs, epg data, swap, and picons which are stored on you HD unless you've setup a flash drive to hold some of that. (unless your running some extra plugins that store data on the HD)

*I'll try and confirm this when I get home! So don't quote me yet!!

Ex-TM6900
12-01-12, 18:43
I would look at taking an image of your existing drive and deploy it on your newer bigger drive..:rolleyes:

tsx
12-01-12, 19:15
Yeah that's pretty much it on the HD, the only other stuff on mine was the valerie folder, and obviously the timeshift folder.

imaging the drive I guess is a very doable way to do it, if you have the set up.

(I finally got rid of all of my desktops, never thought I would... and just live with my tablets, laptops and servers now, so no easy way of connecting sata drives without purchasing some adapters)

BadBoy
12-01-12, 19:54
That's what I was wondering whether I could take my existing image and do a one to one copy

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

tsx
12-01-12, 20:00
Unless the software you use has the option, I guess you would then need to extend the partition using something like gparted, so as to use all the space the new HD gives you.