PDA

View Full Version : Where to see signal strength & Quality on VIX ?

BRAVEHEART
09-01-12, 19:15
I have vix 2.1.4 installed.

Just trying to find out where I find the part in the options etc that show the signal strength & Quality as I cant seem to find it ?

Thank a lot :)

BRAVEHEART
09-01-12, 19:28
I know that when I press "ok" when on a channel I can see the "SNR" and the "AGC" , but is that it ????

Is that what I am looking for ? I am not sure, for example the channel I am on just now has an snr of 53% and agc of 78%, is that a garbage signal if thats the correct thing I should be looking at ?????

Stanman
09-01-12, 20:21
You can see the strenght in satfinder

MENU>SETUP>SERVICES>SATFINDER but that is the same as what is displayed on the info bar.

Larry-G
09-01-12, 20:32
Also note that the signal strength indicator on all satellite receivers should only be used as a guide as they all give wildly different readings even when using the same dish and lnb etc.

BRAVEHEART
09-01-12, 22:15
You can see the strenght in satfinder

MENU>SETUP>SERVICES>SATFINDER but that is the same as what is displayed on the info bar.

So what should a good strong reading be then mate or anyone ??? Just trying to see if my dish is positioned correctly, if you could give me an example of an excellent reading, a medium reading and a poor reading then thats all I need to know and that would be great if someone could.

Thanks again :)

p.s

its just a normal static sky dish pointing at the sky satalite.

Stanman
09-01-12, 22:18
If your not getting any break up in bad weather than thats a good reading. For example on my motor I am getting 99% on BBC1 but on the fixed Sly one I am getting 80% both work fine no break up.

Another some other channels I am getting 55% on a channel and had no breakup during the windy weather last week.

All of these are readings off the info bar, so as said above may not be 100% accurate.

BRAVEHEART
10-01-12, 00:37
If your not getting any break up in bad weather than thats a good reading. For example on my motor I am getting 99% on BBC1 but on the fixed Sly one I am getting 80% both work fine no break up.

Another some other channels I am getting 55% on a channel and had no breakup during the windy weather last week.

All of these are readings off the info bar, so as said above may not be 100% accurate.

Is that the AGC you are on about mate or the SNR ?

Rob van der Does
10-01-12, 08:40
Is that the AGC you are on about mate or the SNR ?
The AGC readout (in fact it's not "AGC" but "SignalStrength"; AGC would be the reverse of that) is not important and should not be used.
It's "SNR" (Signal-to-Noise ratio or signal quality) that counts.

The SNR-read out is the value after the box made corrections to it (using the FEC). A real professional meter connected to the LNB will give a reading of the SNR before any correction has been made; in fact that's the value that should be used for dish alignment.

Huevos
10-01-12, 14:39
So what should a good strong reading be then mate or anyone ???Your dish can be aligned perfectly and you still get a naff signal because the satellite is not too strong.

Also, the Vu+ Duo scale is in percentage so once you get to 99% (equates to about 15dB MER) you cannot compare one signal against another because they are better than 99%.

Crash point (the point where you get severe break-up) changes based on FEC of the incoming signal. As a rough guide that happens at the following percentages for stable DVB-S, QPSK signals:

1/2 = 12%
2/3 = 25%
3/4 = 32%
5/6 = 38%

BRAVEHEART
10-01-12, 22:59
ok thanks for that info guys :)

It seems by the sound of it that the signal readings that the vu+duo with vix image gives out are not accurate enough to take into consideration, correct ???

I will throw this into the mix then, I have a panasonic plasma tv that has built in HD Freesat, in the options I can check the signal strength's and signal qualitys on each channel and it shows you on a scale of 1 to 10 as you will see in the photos I have attached, closer to 1 is very bad and closer to 10 is very good obviously.

I noticed that for example, freesat channel 211 (cctv-news) has no signal at all which I found strange, and all the other channels seem to fluctuate too, green coloured bar is obviously better, yellow colour is poorer and then below yellow you lose the signal (see pictures).

The problem is, I got guys out to re-align the dish after the storms but to be honest I dont even think they have done anything at all, to me the signal strength and quality speaks for its self, I could be wrong though.

I live in the Glasgow area of Scotland, and the dish isnt one of those tiny mini dishes, its bigger than that, not sure of the size to be honest, but all I know is its not a tiny mini dish like they normally use, its a bit bigger than that, and its a fixed wall dish, and its not motorised etc, its pointed at the sky/freesat satallite. (and its all new-ish equipment only a couple of years old and professionally fitted etc)

Its a pity its not windy right now as that would help me to see if the dish was still loose, but even so, to me it still looks like it has not even been fixed even though they said it had.

Please tell me what you guys think.

Rob van der Does
11-01-12, 07:58
No satellite box/TV has a calibrated signal meter. You can only use the read-outs as relative values (getting better/worse), and for "normal" purposes that's quite sufficient.

Gizzm067
11-01-12, 09:35
I'm a bit of a noobie at this but i installed my own dish which is one meter in size with a motorised system....

What i used to get the best signal was a SLX 27860HS Satellite Finder. U can buy them on Amazon for about a tenner. the higher the pitch noise the greater the signal.

hope this helps

Rob van der Does
11-01-12, 09:42
As that is only a signal strength meter, you can only use it to get the dish roughly in the right direction; once done that you'll have to go for the maximum SNR (quality).
A very good alternative is to use your laptop (or even smartphone I think) with one of the available free applications; that gives you the opportunity to zap (= to go to several satellites) and to see the SNR.

Huevos
11-01-12, 12:13
A very good alternative is to use your laptop (or even smartphone I think) with one of the available free applications; that gives you the opportunity to zap (= to go to several satellites) and to see the SNR.Smart phone picture. :thumbsup:

Where you really gain with a proper meter is for finding and identifying the satellite in the first place, especially when the meter has spectrum display. The smart phone and PC apps are only good for fine adjustment once you already have digital lock, but no good for satellite hunting. Also, they require that you know transponder details, i.e. channels are already loaded in the receiver which is usually not the case on a new install.

Rob van der Does
11-01-12, 14:06
Smart phone picture. :thumbsup:
Hmm, looks good, very handy indeed!

Where you really gain with a proper meter is for finding and identifying the satellite in the first place, especially when the meter has spectrum display.
That is correct, but IMHO this will be quite sufficient for normal home & caravan dish installation.

Also, they require that you know transponder details, i.e. channels are already loaded in the receiver which is usually not the case on a new install.
Disagree with you there; new install, install settingslist (from the feeds) and ready to go.
Having some idea where to find the desired satellite is a plus; using one of those PC-applications that allow you to zap is ideal (best use a special bouquet for that, with channels on several quadrants on several satellites).

Stanman
11-01-12, 15:06
Smart phone picture. :thumbsup:

Where you really gain with a proper meter is for finding and identifying the satellite in the first place, especially when the meter has spectrum display. The smart phone and PC apps are only good for fine adjustment once you already have digital lock, but no good for satellite hunting. Also, they require that you know transponder details, i.e. channels are already loaded in the receiver which is usually not the case on a new install.

Whats the app?

Huevos
11-01-12, 16:48
Disagree with you there; new install, install settingslist (from the feeds) and ready to go.That's what I mean. You need the transponder info in the receiver before you can start any fine tuning.

Anyway, what I was really getting at was it is ok for hobby use on powerful satellites but is not a substitute for a quality meter if you are a professional installer.

Rob van der Does
11-01-12, 18:17
Whats the app?
e.g. enigma signal meter: very nice application. See

http://www.krkadoni.com/log/index.php
But there are more.

Anyway, what I was really getting at was it is ok for hobby use on powerful satellites but is not a substitute for a quality meter if you are a professional installer.
Absolutely.

Larry-G
11-01-12, 19:07
Whats the app?

It looks like Enigma signal meter i have it on my HTC desire but to fair i very rarely use a meter of any descryption. like last week i installed a new sky dish in the dark and hit bob on first try with no need for adjustments or fiddling of any kind.

BRAVEHEART
12-01-12, 02:51
Well I think the weather has answered my question for me, lol, its started to get windy outside again and sure as can be the picture on most channels is going off alltogether and on the screen its just saying no signal, so I think that answers it then guys, yea ?????

Alias1
12-01-12, 10:12
In fact the decoder is reading S/N+N :)

banie01
12-01-12, 10:54
e.g. enigma signal meter: very nice application. See

http://www.krkadoni.com/log/index.php
But there are more.

Absolutely.

Its a great app. I use it often on my multiLNB setup.
My only issue is that it hasn't been updated for 3.1.1 kernel yet and doesn't work yet on latest VIX, any image above 2.3.153 isnt compatible yet.
But If I'm messing with my setup I usually flash back to an earlier build ;) and line up with a buoquet I have made including TPs from 4.8e,9/10e.13e,16e,19.2e,23.5e and 28.2e with weaker TPs too to ensure best alignment.
Hopefully Krkadoni will update the app soon for newest linux.

But does anyone have/know any other apps with similar functionality? I've tried dreambox satfinder(crap) and enigmanoid(won't connect on latest VIX either, assuming thats a kernel issue too?)

banie01
12-01-12, 10:58
Well I think the weather has answered my question for me, lol, its started to get windy outside again and sure as can be the picture on most channels is going off alltogether and on the screen its just saying no signal, so I think that answers it then guys, yea ?????

Yep mate, thats as definitive an answer as you're going to get ;)
If the weather is affecting your dish(Unless its V.heavy or you are aiming at a weak bird) its a good sign your alignment is slightly off.

Rob van der Does
12-01-12, 12:27
My only issue is that it hasn't been updated for 3.1.1 kernel yet and doesn't work yet on latest VIX, any image above 2.3.153 isnt compatible yet.
Well, I have it working on my VU-boxes on the latest ViX with no problem at all.
But you must install the WEB-IF old for that: the new open WEB-IF isn't yet compatible with all (external) applications. But I know that's being worked on.

Rob van der Does
12-01-12, 12:41
But does anyone have/know any other apps with similar functionality? I've tried dreambox satfinder(crap) and enigmanoid(won't connect on latest VIX either, assuming thats a kernel issue too?)
Yes:
DreamBox E2 satfinder also works great and also allows for remote zapping, and
onestep-Satfinder Pro 0.0.9 (with video, but no zapping). See:

http://www.onestep.cc/wbb2/jgs_db.php?action=show&eintrags_id=2702&sid=

banie01
12-01-12, 13:38
Yes:
DreamBox E2 satfinder also works great and also allows for remote zapping, and
onestep-Satfinder Pro 0.0.9 (with video, but no zapping). See:

http://www.onestep.cc/wbb2/jgs_db.php?action=show&eintrags_id=2702&sid=

I'll give that one a try now :)
Do you prefer it to the Krkadoni app?

Well, I have it working on my VU-boxes on the latest ViX with no problem at all.
But you must install the WEB-IF old for that: the new open WEB-IF isn't yet compatible with all (external) applications. But I know that's being worked on.

Rob thanks for that! Swapping back to old webIF never occured to me at all ;)
Thank you.
I'm off to do that now ;)

Rob van der Does
12-01-12, 13:50
I'll give that one a try now :)
Do you prefer it to the Krkadoni app?
Nope. You can't zap.

banie01
12-01-12, 13:57
Nope. You can't zap.

In that case I'll stick with the Krkadoni app ;)
As being able to use my 'LNB alignment' bouquet saves a lot of going up and down the ladder :D LOL
Thanks agai for the Web IF pointer btw.

BRAVEHEART
13-01-12, 22:25
eventually got the guy out again to correct the dish, he fitted a new LNB too, all the signal strengths and qualitys appear to be either 100% perfect now or just slightly less, yippeeee, lol :p

What is more important, the strength or the quality ??? cause I notice on a LOT of channels the strength and quality are 100%, but some others are like 100% strong and approx 80-90% quality, and some are 100% quality with 80-90% strength etc, and as I say, a LOT are 100% on both strength and quality.

I think I remember reading one time somewhere before a bit of a debate as to whether the strength or the quality is the most important thing and some people arguing that they basically had different feelings on the matter, I dont know though ?

Rob van der Does
13-01-12, 22:57
Quality is what matters, not strength.

BRAVEHEART
13-01-12, 23:50
Quality is what matters, not strength.

thanks mate :)

Larry-G
13-01-12, 23:58
Its a great app. I use it often on my multiLNB setup.
But If I'm messing with my setup I usually flash back to an earlier build ;) and line up with a buoquet I have made including TPs from 4.8e,9/10e.13e,16e,19.2e,23.5e and 28.2e with weaker TPs too to ensure best alignment.
Hopefully Krkadoni will update the app soon for newest linux.

dont think so. it works fine on my duo and uno on the very latest 2.3 images with the old web interface installed as rob pointed out.

banie01
14-01-12, 00:06
In that case I'll stick with the Krkadoni app ;)
As being able to use my 'LNB alignment' bouquet saves a lot of going up and down the ladder :D LOL
Thanks agai for the Web IF pointer btw.

dont think so. it works fine on my duo and uno on the very latest 2.3 images with the old web interface installed as rob pointed out.

Thanks Pheonix ;)
As you said Rob already pointed it out, switching back to the old WebIF solves the issue.

BRAVEHEART
27-02-12, 03:19
Raise this again please,

Can some people from the uk that has perefectly set dish (or as good as can be), please tell me what typical approx SNR and AGC levels they are getting on the vu+ duo, instead of confusing issues here we will just use these channels at random.

BBC one HD
ITV 1 HD
CHANNEL 4 HD
SKY SPORTS 1 HD
SKY MOVIES PREMIER HD
SKY MOVIES DRAMA HD

if you could give me your snr's and agc's for these channels I would very very much appreciate it as I am trying to rule a possible issue out, might not be an issue regarding these readings, but when I have something to compare mines to then I will have a much better Idea.

I will post mines up once some other people post thiers, just hoping you can do this for me as it would be a great help and hopefully a great reliefe.

Thank You ;)

BRAVEHEART
27-02-12, 23:03
I can see this is going just great, lol (not), any chance some people can help me out here with this please, would appreciate it 1 million %, thanks.

Raise this again please,

Can some people from the uk that has perefectly set dish (or as good as can be), please tell me what typical approx SNR and AGC levels they are getting on the vu+ duo, instead of confusing issues here we will just use these channels at random.

BBC one HD
ITV 1 HD
CHANNEL 4 HD
SKY SPORTS 1 HD
SKY MOVIES PREMIER HD
SKY MOVIES DRAMA HD

if you could give me your snr's and agc's for these channels I would very very much appreciate it as I am trying to rule a possible issue out, might not be an issue regarding these readings, but when I have something to compare mines to then I will have a much better Idea.

I will post mines up once some other people post thiers, just hoping you can do this for me as it would be a great help and hopefully a great reliefe.

Thank You ;)

art-sat
28-02-12, 00:56
What is more important, the strength or the quality ??? cause I notice on a LOT of channels the strength and quality are 100%, but some others are like 100% strong and approx 80-90% quality, and some are 100% quality with 80-90% strength etc, and as I say, a LOT are 100% on both strength and quality...I think, you managed to fix your dish as get as good as it possible in a real life. Can you really see the difference between 80% and 99% of quality or strength? I don't think so.

BRAVEHEART
28-02-12, 01:30
I think, you managed to fix your dish as get as good as it possible in a real life. Can you really see the difference between 80% and 99% of quality or strength? I don't think so.

yes mate at the weekend there was big changes to the signal quality especially and some loss to the strength too.

I am going to start a new thread about this as its not getting the correct attention in this thread as people are not seeing my new question as they think the topic is about something different, sorry guys, I will make a new thread for this and that way it may get a better response, thanks.