PDA

View Full Version : NFS and fan issues

plumbo
09-01-12, 17:55
Hi!

First of all I want to thank everyone involved in making ViX happen! I'm fairly new to this, but it's working great on my new VU+ Duo. I do have a couple of issues though, and perhaps some of you might be able to help.

Issue #1:
I've mounted a NFS share to play my movies from, but whenever I try to play something it starts out fine then begin to lag terribly, and then just hangs. This happens with any format (mkv, avi, mp4) and size, and even with small clips of ~50MB.

I use Vu+ WiFi dongle, and my NFS is mounted using TCP and NFSv3. I have tried both the ViX movie player (from the recordings) and MediaPlayer, and no logs hint at anything wrong. MyTube also exhibits the same behavior.

I suspect it might be due to using WiFi, but I get good speeds using FTP / SCP - allthough the connection sometimes drops out completely, forcing a reboot (restarting network won't help)

Would using an USB for swap help on this, or is NFS caching done via the harddisk/memory? Using an USB permanently makes it run quite hot, which brings me to the next issue.

Issue #2:

The fan seems to stop when the box is in standby, even though I've installed the plugin to control the fan in standby. The logs clearly shows "=== FAN IS OFF ===".
Is this an issue? I think the box get quite warm when in standby, and much warmer than when it's operating.

I couldn't find a way to get the temperatures or the status of the fan, either through sensors or /proc, but I'm not familiar with embedded systems...

Any thoughts?

BTW, would it be possible to support NFSv4 some time in the future? The new kernel certainly has the option, but I don't know how to compile it on these systems...

-Plumbo