PDA

View Full Version : can you view on both the tuners on this reciever

goatie
08-01-12, 20:19
hi folks
been thinking about getting a vu+ duo for a while now
don't think i would use the 2nd tuner to record,
but i was wondering if i could switch between tuners by just pressing a button on keypad

here's what i want to do
i would connect a motorised dish on lnb 1, a fixed sky dish on lnb 2 on the vu+ duo
i want to watch viasat on the lnb1 (watching football) at halftime, i want to just press a button on the keypad and switchover to watch sky sports on lnb2
i don't want to move the motorised dish, i want lnb 1 to stay viewing viasat,

at moment i have a dreambox 500, and at halftime in the viasat match,i have to select sky sports and the dish turns to sky, and then as the match is about to start i have to select viasat and the dish turns back.

is that possible

Larry-G
08-01-12, 20:26
no its not possible, the closest your going to get is to either use two dishes pointing one to each location or a multi lnb dish but your still going to have to change the physical channel, on the box or view one channel on the tv and the other streamed via a pc / laptop but you would still need two dishes or a multi lnb setup.

goatie
08-01-12, 20:51
used to have multi lnb's on dish, (28,19,13,) but had to go motorised to get viasat (4e)
so i have a motorised dish on the dreambox 500

was hoping to be able to use my old sky dish and the motorised dish on a two tuner reciever and view sky on one tuner, then switch to other tuner and watch viasat, from what i'm hearing the second tuner is allows you to record while on the first tuner you can watch something else

Stanman
08-01-12, 20:55
used to have multi lnb's on dish, (28,19,13,) but had to go motorised to get viasat (4e)
so i have a motorised dish on the dreambox 500

was hoping to be able to use my old sky dish and the motorised dish on a two tuner reciever and view sky on one tuner, then switch to other tuner and watch viasat, from what i'm hearing the second tuner is allows you to record while on the first tuner you can watch something else

Yes you can do that. I would stick 28.2E on A and the motor on B, that way as the box goes to A first, it will not move the motor to A, at least thats what I think

goatie
08-01-12, 21:07
thanks,
i just the motorised dish for watching football matches that you can't see on 28e, or the saturday 3:00pm kick offs

Larry-G
08-01-12, 21:29
your still going to have to physically change channels. there is no button to switch between tuners in the way you want.

micscave
08-01-12, 22:38
He can use the < & > keys though to switch between the 2 channels once he has chosen the 2 channels to watch. So choose the first channel via your bouquets and then choose the other channel on 28.2 that you want to watch via your bouquets. Then if you use the "< & >" buttons you can switch between the 2.

Hope this helps

Huevos
08-01-12, 22:58
There's not a button to switch tuners as such, but in the case you mention channel change between the 2 satellites will be instantaneous. If you want to get an idea how fast zapping between satellites can be when the dish doesn't need to move check out my Youtube video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQft0sUNA5s

stick50jr
09-01-12, 01:21
Yes, you can.

You could have TunerA showing live football and TunerB showing SkySports via PIP. Then during half time you could swap the main and PIP programmes. You don't have to use the PIP feature but it is one way of ensuring that the two tuners are connected to the intended lnbs (and preventing the motorised dish from re-pointing). Another way of committing the tuner to viasat is to start a recording on that channel.

However, in the Vu+Duo be aware that the PIP feature is achieved by software rather than hardware. Consequently, the PIP is limited in frame rate and is a bit 'clunky'. I don't find this to be a problem in my usage. I occasionally use PIP to monitor for the start of a programme on another channel, and not to actually watch two programmes simultaneously. (I am a male and cannot do two things at once).

I am very happy with my Vu+Duo. The hardware is much higher quality than my old DM7025 which had a very unreliable power supply and generated more heat than it could cope with in warm weather. When the DM7025 got hot, various malfunctions would occur that were sometimes hard to distinguish from the software issues that can occur. Relatively, the Vu+Duo runs cooler and hasn't missed a beat. The only problems you may have with the Vu+Duo are occasional software issues which are part of the linux 'hobby' sat world. The Vix images are probably the most stable.

cheers

Rob van der Does
09-01-12, 13:59
There's no way you can really (and easily) control the freedom of tuners, other then by not using the box at all.
Set "preferred tuner" to "Auto"; that way the first tuner to be used will be the one with the least possibilities (i.e. the tuner with the motor if the other tuner is connected to a fixed dish). So chances that the motor loopthrough is free are maximised.

vu-duo-user
09-01-12, 21:55
Yes you can do that. I would stick 28.2E on A and the motor on B, that way as the box goes to A first, it will not move the motor to A, at least thats what I think

Thats how I setup my twin dish 28e mini dish and 1.2m 42e to 27.5w.

Huevos
10-01-12, 01:15
the first tuner to be used will be the one with the least possibilities (i.e. the tuner with the motor if the other tuner is connected to a fixed dish)Rob, I know you explained this the other day but I still don't get it. First of all what is a "possibility"? Is it numer of services or number of satellites?

Just to make this clear to me are the following in the correct order:

highest priority
fixed dish, 1 satellite.
fixed dish & monoblock, 2 satellites.
motorised dish configured for 10 satellites.
T90 (fixed), 16 satellites.
motorised dish configured for 20 satellites.
motorised dish configured for 30 satellites.
lowest priority

Also what has priority on a motorised dish with a twin LNB? Is it the passive tuner, or the tuner that moves the dish?

Rob van der Does
10-01-12, 06:44
Rob, I know you explained this the other day but I still don't get it. First of all what is a "possibility"? Is it number of services or number of satellites?

Sorry, I should have stated that clearer: it's the number of satellites that counts.

Just to make this clear to me are the following in the correct order:

highest priority
fixed dish, 1 satellite.
fixed dish & monoblock, 2 satellites.
motorised dish configured for 10 satellites.
T90 (fixed), 16 satellites.
motorised dish configured for 20 satellites.
motorised dish configured for 30 satellites.
lowest priority

I think that's correct (highest priority meaning the first one to be used by the box (if that tuner can receive the required sat that is). The kind of dish (fixed/multi/motorised) is not important.

Also what has priority on a motorised dish with a twin LNB? Is it the passive tuner, or the tuner that moves the dish?
LOL, trying to take an exam are you?
Not sure about this one though. My gut feeling tells me that the "passive tuner" will be used as a last resort.