PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone regret their purschase?

Likvid
27-07-10, 21:06
I sold my Vu+ Duo as i needed money to repair my car so i am receiverless now.:D

Anyway, now that i have money again i would like to buy a new box, i liked the V+ Duo but it was too good to be true, it was boring for me as everything just worked :eek:

Does anyone regret their VU purschase and wanted to buy another receiver?

As i need tuner for DVB-C also and the Vu+ Duo can't handle DVB-C i don't know what to buy anymore, i would be nuts buying the overpriced DM8000, is there any other receiver that would be good?

guff daddy
27-07-10, 21:19
I've seen that there are some DM8000 clones now on the market for approx £550 or so but I don't know about the quality.

Very happy with the VU+. Although I understand why some would like faster improvements in the Media Player, this isn't a concern for me as I use my WD Live player for everything (mkv, avi, wmv, wma, mp3, mpe, mp4, ts - I haven't yet found a format it can't play directly). In any case my DM800 is just as crap as a Media Player...

dfdream
27-07-10, 21:30
Likvid,

I love the comment "it was boring for me as everything just worked".

Well if you want frustration just buy anything else I'd say....

steve1978
27-07-10, 22:36
erm, TM 6900 super has twin tuners, one s and one c. only thing is thouh nagra 3, no dvb c will work.

Mr. Mister
27-07-10, 22:36
it was boring for me as everything just worked :eek:

Call me stupid.. !!!

But is this not the best thing to ever happen our hobby.. ???.. A receiver that does what you want.. and when you want it to do it.. ?????

I dont know.. maybe i really am stupid... lmao

Its a dream.. only its not a dream.. its a Vu+ Duo..

Likvid
27-07-10, 23:04
If only Vu+ had modular tuners it would be the ideal box.

basilyoung
27-07-10, 23:44
to be honest, I would have bought a push bike, kept the VU+ save some money, buy a cable reciever (db800c) then sav to get the car repaired

baz

khan
28-07-10, 00:34
if you want frustration buy ipbox9000hd/cuberevo
that will keepu busy.

Sicilian
28-07-10, 07:36
erm, TM 6900 super has twin tuners, one s and one c. only thing is thouh nagra 3, no dvb c will work.

One is DVB-S and the other DVB-T, not C.

I'd steer clear of the DM8000 clones, too early to say what issues they have imo. Also all that money for a clone, no way man..........I'd go with baz's suggestion.

satsatsat
28-07-10, 20:28
does exactly what it says on the tin......great box end of story

olisun
29-07-10, 09:50
While the box is better than most of the other boxes I have owned in past, I was expecting a bit more from this box considering it's price point and most of the software built for DM worked straight on this box with little or no modifications.

I have listed the missing features in the order of priority I think is useful for me but if any of these get implemented in the next version of the VU+ Duo then I will be really annoyed...

1) 1080p
2) PIP
3) 4.2.2
4) Blindscan (but can be overcome by copying the latest satellites.xml file)

5) Simple satellite list with one entry per satellite and not the current 3 per satellite... It's pain having to jump between 1W and 28.2E at times...
6) Able to delete channels using my remote and not have to rely on a computer to do that

7) Able to sort my channels in the order I want (Frequency, etc)
8) Loop through output to be able to feed another receiver and not having to run another cable from the LNB

9) Better media player

basilyoung
29-07-10, 10:59
that lot, if implimented, would most likely put the cost up to a parr with the db 8000
you also forgot the plug and play tuners (s/t/c)
baz

pooface
29-07-10, 11:35
6) Able to delete channels using my remote and not have to rely on a computer to do that

Can be done as far as I remember. If you go to the menu option whilst in a bouquet, then it deletes it. Or do you mean delete the channel completely? Think that might be possible when in the satellites list, but not 100% sure.

7) Able to sort my channels in the order I want (Frequency, etc)

Can be done, just create bouquets

8) Loop through output to be able to feed another receiver and not having to run another cable from the LNB

Again, can be done from what I remember. In the tuner settings, set tuner B to be loop through of tuner a (or something along those lines).

9) Better media player

Again, can also be done. Just relying on the vu+ team to implement it, or one of the image makers to make it better...

A lot of the questions about the channel lists are better dealt with by creating bouquets, than just using the satellite channels... Sounds like you've move from a technomate rather than any other linux based box???

olisun
29-07-10, 11:37
that lot, if implimented, would most likely put the cost up to a parr with the db 8000
you also forgot the plug and play tuners (s/t/c)
baz

The plug-n-play tuners are no use for me considering I get all the channels via satellite but may be useful for many others.

I don't think implementing all those features will put up the cost on par with the DM8000 as most of these are already implemented on other receivers, which cost significantly less than the VU+ Duo. (4.2.2, Blindscan & 1080p on AzboxHD, PIP and Blindscan on Icecrypt S4000 HD, etc)

Mind you I am not comparing VU+ DU with any other receiver over here...

olisun
29-07-10, 11:43
Can be done as far as I remember. If you go to the menu option whilst in a bouquet, then it deletes it. Or do you mean delete the channel completely? Think that might be possible when in the satellites list, but not 100% sure.

View a channel and delete it using the remote and not have to use the computer.

Can be done, just create bouquets

Again don't want to use a computer and I want to SORT it and NOT group them.

Again, can be done from what I remember. In the tuner settings, set tuner B to be loop through of tuner a (or something along those lines).

I want to Loop through to ANOTHER receiver and NOT Loop through from Tuner A to B and Vice versa.

Sounds like you've move from a technomate rather than any other linux based box???

Does it say matter which box I have moved from?

FYI I have had the Icecrypt S4000 HD and AzBox HD and AFAIK they are both Linux based receivers and they DO have a simplified channel list which is on parr with any non-linux based receivers.

Likvid
29-07-10, 12:14
Plug/play tuners are the most important feature missing i think.

1080 isn't necessary today for satellite broadcasts as none transmits in 1080p yet, it would be for the mediaplayer function which isn't the best in E2.

Loop through is one feature missing as well.

Hardware blindscan as well.

I don't think blindscan will ever come as the super expensive DM8000 doesn't even have that and not 4:2:2 either.

Last i don't think this box is exactly cheap for what you get, you should know what the shops buy it for, the distributor in Netherlands sells it for 290 euro ex VAT, im sure you can find it cheaper calling around or buy it directly from Marusys in Korea with your own logo, the price is currently falling rapidly in Germany everywhere right now which means either they are overstocked or that a new receiver is shortly coming out, i beleive it the second part, new receiver coming.

Despite what some shops said about NOT any new receiver coming out soon they can't say the truth as it would probably kill their sales on current box.

I will wait, the new box coming from Vu shouldn't be too far away now, September i beleive which is on schedule with rumours on the German forum said months ago, they said the 3rd quarter this year.

notanotherone
29-07-10, 14:10
for me the question dont need to be asked ,i never regreted buying my box,compaired to my first dbox thro to my 600 this is the best one ,its got all i ever need to play with lol

pooface
30-07-10, 10:52
@ olisun, the first two of my comments (sorry, not got time to quote etc atm) were related to the remote control. Press the menu button when in a bouquet (or at least the bouquet list), and I'm pretty sure you can create/edit bouquets....

As for the loop through, I thought that the point of putting tuner B as a loop through of tuner A was so that it basically output what tuner A was receiving to tuner B, so that you could then loop through tuner A via tuner B to another receiver...

xarqi
30-07-10, 11:29
Keeping in mind that I'm still waiting for my Vu+ Duo...
I understand "loop-through" to mean that an OUTPUT is available to which another device can be attached in order to access the same transponder stream as is tuned by the first device. The "loop-through" on the Duo is purely internal, allowing the same transponder stream to be presented to both Vu+Duo tuners with just one cable. As such, it does not allow daisy-chaining of devices. I could easily be wrong, mind you.