PDA

View Full Version : Caution! Vu+ Clone

Donnie
06-01-12, 12:31
Caution! Vu+ Clone

Dear partners and Customers,
Vu+, unarguably the leading supplier of Linux based set top box, works relentlessly to make sure the utmost quality that you expect us to achieve. This has been the integral part of the whole operations in developing and manufacturing.
However, we recently learned that a clone of Vu+ SOLO could now be traded through illegal transaction routes from China. In responding to this grave situation, we assure you that we will take all possible legal measures to ensure that such pirated copies of Vu+ products be not traded freely. Furthermore, we have already begun a technical process via which to upgrade the algorithm of system security implemented in all Vu+ products soon.
When this upgrade is put into place, no pirated copies of Vu+ products will work. While we sincerely ask for your unilateral support in dealing with this serious matter, let us state the following aspects so that you can inform those who might be interested in Vu+ clones.
1.No software update will be possible.
2.The hardware stability of clone is very questionable.
3.No repair support will be offered for clone boxes.
Also, please be noted that SOLO clones have several points that are different from the genuine SOLO as below:

http://www2.vuplus.com/images/event_clone.jpg

We would be sincerely grateful if you send us email ( support@vuplus.com) on any information regarding how these clones are actually traded by whom. We believe that fighting against pirated copies of Vu+ products is not just for the benefit of Vu+ only but also for all customers of Vu+ as a whole. Thus, we once again wish for your unilateral support.

Best regards,

Vu+ TEAM

bassethound
06-01-12, 12:39
Thanks for the great post Donnie i have made it a sticky!

Looks like its going to be really difficult to spot a clone unless you take of the top cover off as the external difference are miniscule

Larry-G
06-01-12, 12:53
Yes mate cracking post. Let's hope Vu can do every thing possible to eradicate these clones.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Donnie
06-01-12, 13:07
I just hope Vu make a better job of it unlike DMM.
I am already aware that 3.1.1 images can kill the clone already.:D

Stanman
06-01-12, 13:11
I think we should make this thread a mandatory read.

ekkostar
06-01-12, 13:56
I can't even make out the difference in the logo. What exactly are those differences ?

It's not only the Solo, there are Duo clones out as well and they're selling at £131 and £191 respectively in the UK at the moment.

sonc
06-01-12, 14:25
I can't even make out the difference in the logo. What exactly are those differences ?

It's not only the Solo, there are Duo clones out as well and they're selling at £131 and £191 respectively in the UK at the moment.

I think the genuine logo is nearer to the edge of the box in the first pic - can't see any other difference.

Donnie
06-01-12, 15:17

Its hard to make out but I think the S is different but like you I am not 100% sure.

Ev0
06-01-12, 15:34
The only 1 I can't see the difference of is the box, where the circle is in the middle between Vu+ and Solo.

ekkostar
06-01-12, 15:48
TBH it looks frighteningly impressive for a RevA clone :eek:

The case housing looks identical so likely straight out the same OEM component factory.

The PSU and the card reader, make marginal differences. Not sure what else is too much different, tuner ? processor ? Does the mac address tie up with what's on the labels and box ?

I've pm'd you Donnie to get you started ;)

Thanks

Ev0
06-01-12, 15:55
If you look at the advert of the guy the admin / mods on here spotted, he has put up pics of the box on there.

If they are geunine pics of the clones he has (now admits there clone) then the insides looks alot more like the genuine thing that the images posted here.

Infact here is the pic he's put on the advert.

ekkostar
06-01-12, 16:32
I think it gets incredibly difficult, especially so when the OEM's start to outsource elsewhere. VU will need to clamp down immediately to stand a chance.

The price differences to a Genuine box doesn't appear overly massive, the hardware almost indistinguishable and identical.

Ev0
06-01-12, 16:37
I think it gets incredibly difficult, especially so when the OEM's start to outsource elsewhere. VU will need to clamp down immediately to stand a chance.

The price differences to a Genuine box doesn't appear overly massive, the hardware almost indistinguishable and identical.

I think Vu+ need to take some high res pics of there genuine box's and the same with the clones they have.

The pics they have posted so far, don't really help, as there too small and low quality.

wullboy
06-01-12, 16:41
If you look at the advert of the guy the admin / mods on here spotted, he has put up pics of the box on there.

If they are geunine pics of the clones he has (now admits there clone) then the insides looks alot more like the genuine thing that the images posted here.

Infact here is the pic he's put on the advert.

If i was selling clones, then i would be using original photo`s of the box and any internal photo`s, as nobody would not know the diffenence anyway....????

Ev0
06-01-12, 16:44
If i was selling clones, then i would be using original photo`s of the box and any internal photo`s, as nobody would not know the diffenence anyway....????

This is true, but if you look closely at the pictures in post 1 and the picture above, they are different, it doesn't 100% match the genuine OR the clone pics.

ekkostar
06-01-12, 17:18
The ebay clone looks pretty close to the original. No doubt the cloners will have it perfected in no time at all.

The reality is during the lifecycle of a box, the OEM themselves will source components that will likely change due to supply issues. In other words two Genuine boxes may have slightly differing non critical components depending on build dates.

The clones are just an extension of this.

The difficulty is when you have clones of this calibre it is impractical and impossible for every customer to insist on opening the box and taking the lid off prior to buying.

Usually the best way to drive the clones out is to re-price the Genuine article via authorised sellers.

A clone Solo sells for £130 and a genuine for £209. If VU can try bridge that gap via authorised outlets then it hardly makes it worth the while going down clone route.

Ev0
06-01-12, 17:23
The ebay clone looks pretty close to the original. No doubt the cloners will have it perfected in no time at all.

The reality is during the lifecycle of a box, the OEM themselves will source components that will likely change due to supply issues. In other words two Genuine boxes may have slightly differing non critical components depending on build dates.

The clones are just an extension of this.

The difficulty is when you have clones of this calibre it is impractical and impossible for every customer to insist on opening the box and taking the lid of prior to buying.

Yeh very true

Mr. Mister
06-01-12, 17:26
guys..

you dont even need to open any box to spot a Vu clone..

I have just seen this for myself with a duo.. only 5 minutes ago..

A friend of a friend arrived at my home about 30 mins ago.. He had a nice new duo.. all packaged up exactly the same as a genuine one..

He did not tell me it was a clone.. until i asked him if it was.. He confirmed this right away..

You do not need to open the box.. Just have a look at the size of the rubber feet on the bottom of the stb..

They are in fact.. twice the size they are on the original.. and i know.. i got 5 duo`s..

He then asked me to flash his new clone duo as he waited.. So i agreed.. ( Having something up my sleeve as i wanted to have a closer look at things as i aint seen one of these before.. )

I knew that there was a fair chance that i could flash the box with the new bootloader and 2.3.. ok.. then if i done the updates.. the box would just stick on starting after the reboot..

Low and behold.. Thats exactly what happened..

So i now am in possession of a clone Vu+ Duo at the moment.. and this guy gonna call me tomorrow to see if i can get it working..

I aint had time yet to really have a look at it.. but im sure i could take the lid off it.. and take any pics ye guys want..

just let me know guys..

ekkostar
06-01-12, 17:31
The VU is a premium machine but not to the extent of the Dream boxes. I suspect the Solo and Duo were being phased out by VU but the OEM's still see them as viable machines, as indeed they are and will continue to be.

I think where you have Dream, the boxes have become prohibitively expensive, which in turn has encouraged a secondary clone market.

It's ironic when you have a good product then the legacy of it spawns an enterprising industry in itself.

Whilst VU themselves are now moving on to the Uno and Ultimo, the OEM's have probably outsourced to develop this lucrative supply chain.

You cannot build a clone of this degree without OEM involvement.

Ev0
06-01-12, 17:33
guys..

A friend of a friend arrived at my home about 30 mins ago.. He had a nice new duo.. all packaged up exactly the same as a genuine one..

He did not tell me it was a clone.. until i asked him if it was.. He confirmed this right away..

You do not need to open the box.. Just have a look at the size of the rubber feet on the bottom of the stb..

They are in fact.. twice the size they are on the original.. and i know.. i got 5 duo`s..

He then asked me to flash his new clone duo as he waited.. So i agreed.. ( Having something up my sleeve as i wanted to have a closer look at things as i aint seen one of these before.. )

I knew that there was a fair chance that i could flash the box with the new bootloader and 2.3.. ok.. then if i done the updates.. the box would just stick on starting after the reboot..

So i now am in possession of a clone Vu+ Duo at the moment.. and this guy gonna call me tomorrow to see if i can get it working..

I aint had time yet to really have a look at it.. but im sure i could take the lid off it.. and take any pics ye guys want..

just let me know guys..

Yeh get that lid off, and take some nice close up shots please, if you don't mind :)

Larry-G
06-01-12, 17:38
The VU is a premium machine but not to the extent of the Dream boxes. I suspect the Solo and Duo were being phased out by VU but the OEM's still see them as viable machines, as indeed they are and will continue to be.

I think where you have Dream, the boxes have become prohibitively expensive, which in turn has encouraged a secondary clone market.

It's ironic when you have a good product then the legacy of it spawns an enterprising industry in itself.

Whilst VU themselves are now moving on to the Uno and Ultimo, the OEM's have probably outsourced to develop this lucrative supply chain.

You cannot build a clone of this degree without OEM involvement.

I can assure you the duo and solo are no where near being phased out by Vu, the Uno and Ultimo are additions to Vu's line not replacements.

ekkostar
06-01-12, 17:45
Well, if that is the case then VU need to act pretty pronto indeed. In order to combat you have to act swiftly and with a 360 action plan.

The cloners will undoubtedly be working on getting Uno's and Ultimo's out there soon enough. The Ultimo is an expensive machine and if a decent clone gets out at the £250 mark, then it would certainly spell problems.

Ev0
06-01-12, 17:52
I think the Uno will be next, but yeh the Ultimo won't be far away.

What exactly do you think Vu need to do though to stop the clones ?

Donnie
06-01-12, 17:53
It's good to see everyone taking this stance against clones and hopefully clone users will find out they are not welcome on boards like this and they will find it even harder to get help. :D

Sicilian
06-01-12, 17:56
Any member coming here for clone support will be instantly banned without question.

ekkostar
06-01-12, 18:03
If you're premium brand with a premium product then the reality is you can't stop the clones.

It's a commercial decision in the end and a decision on how to combat counterfeit goods. You have to use legal means to an extent, but these are costly and time consuming. You have to tighten your supply chain e.g. a network of authorised dealers and you have to look at reasons for entry e.g internal pricing.

All this needs to be done simultaneously to help clamp down on the problem and protect your prime market of genuine buyers. This is ultra important to VU as companies can easily lose genuine buyers long term.

Ultimately it does not stop the clones, what it does is split the market into two distinct categories

1. those who knowingly wish to buy genuine product
2. those who knowingly are prepared to buy a clone

Unfortunately it's a plague which you have to learn to live with and control rather than go all out to eradicate.

Mr. Mister
06-01-12, 18:05
Yeh get that lid off, and take some nice close up shots please, if you don't mind :)

Am just flashing this and setting it up at the moment..

It went fine with the bootloader.. and the image..

Box rebooted fine.. Just doing the updates at the moment..

When i get it working.. i will take as many photos as you guys wish..

Mr. Mister
06-01-12, 18:12
ok.. Its doing the same as the original Solo a few days ago..

Once the updates are installed.. The box just sits with starting on the front display..

Its a funny one thou.. As the clone is doing the same thing as the originals..

Ill pop the lid off it now.. and take some pics..

Mr. Mister
06-01-12, 18:40
Guys..

As promised.. here are the pics..

The 2-3 with one duo on top of the other are.. Top one is clone.. Bottom one is original

hope these help some of you..

Stanman
06-01-12, 18:45
Very hard to tell the difference visually. The VU+ DUO in white is fatter than on the clone but not something you would notice at first glance.

Braggster
06-01-12, 18:47
There are shit loads of sellers on alibaba.com selling both of these boxes and also this guy too sorry if i aint supposed to add link just thought you guys could email vu support on these ripping of merchants..

link deleted

basilyoung
06-01-12, 18:48
guys..

just let me know guys..

Even if you can get the unit working, charge him £200 for your time,

Ev0
06-01-12, 18:48
Thanks for the pics :)

You might want to cover the terminals on the switch, before you power it up again

Mr. Mister
06-01-12, 19:03
Even if you can get the unit working, charge him £200 for your time,

Now that would keep me in beer money for a day or 2.. lmao

Ev0
06-01-12, 19:08
In picture 5 and 7, is the large capacitor on the psu, showing signs of failure already or is it just the picture making it look like that ?

basilyoung
06-01-12, 19:11
well, joking aside, I would be very hacked off, if I was asked to update one of these Clone units,
as the origonal units are in fact cheap enough,

( but the info you are posting is usefull )

Foxylady
06-01-12, 19:11
Hahaha,
I'd love to be a fly on the wall and see the faces of the sellers whom sold them and customers complaining lol.
Best wishes

Mr. Mister
06-01-12, 19:19
well, joking aside, I would be very hacked off, if I was asked to update one of these Clone units,
as the origonal units are in fact cheap enough,

( but the info you are posting is usefull )

Agree totally Basil.. 100%

Pity the same cant be said for the Ultimo.. lmao

In picture 5 and 7, is the large capacitor on the psu, showing signs of failure already or is it just the picture making it look like that ?

Its just the photos buddy..
Im out tonight.. Bit i will take some more pics tomorrow morning.. and post them here again.. But this time instead of using my iphone4.. i will use proper digital camera..

Mr. Mister
06-01-12, 19:53
Just for info..

I now have the Clone Duo all working perfectly..

I want to mess about with it a bit more tomorrow.. just to see if i can find anything else that my help before this guy comes back for it tomorrow..

I will flash it again before he comes to pick it up.. and do the updates again.. and it will just sit on starting after that.. and thats it broke again..

so im afraid from his point of view.. His new new shinny clone duo will not be working again tomorrow.. lmao..

If he still wants a Duo.. then i can show him world of satellite phone number.. and maybe he can buy one there.. lmao

Have to try and convince him that his nice new clone duo is a door stop.. lol

Foxylady
06-01-12, 19:56
Just for info..

I now have the Clone Duo all working perfectly..

I want to mess about with it a bit more tomorrow.. just to see if i can find anything else that my help before this guy comes back for it tomorrow..

I will flash it again before he comes to pick it up.. and do the updates again.. and it will just sit on starting after that.. and thats it broke again..

so im afraid from his point of view.. His new new shinny clone duo will not be working again tomorrow.. lmao..

If he still wants a Duo.. then i can show him world of satellite phone number.. and maybe he can buy one there.. lmao

Have to try and convince him that his nice new clone duo is a door stop.. lol

You evil barsteward :roflmao:

Rob van der Does
07-01-12, 07:47
Did you inform VU+ about all the particulars of that clone?

gogoli
07-01-12, 09:34
Warning: from Exclusive Distributor of UK -Ireland-others :

All Dealers who will sell them will be identified and will be Sue for Copyright infringement of UK Law and EC as well.

Mr. Mister
07-01-12, 15:10
Did you inform VU+ about all the particulars of that clone?

Hi Rob..

Not sure what you mean buddy.. What particulars are you talking about.. ??

I will gladly pass on any info to Vu they need..

Im sure they are reading all of these posts and can contact me at anytime..

Rob van der Does
07-01-12, 15:20
Well, I'm not so sure if they read all available forums worldwide........
Maybe you could just show them the photo's you made?

Mr. Mister
07-01-12, 15:23
Thanks for the info Rob..

I totally understand that they do not read all of the forums.. But im sure this is one that is being read.. As this forum is more or less for the Vu+ range.. and the best imho..

Rob van der Does
07-01-12, 16:50
Thanks for the info Rob..

I totally understand that they do not read all of the forums.. But im sure this is one that is being read.. As this forum is more or less for the Vu+ range.. and the best imho..
Well, if you send them a mail you could ask them.......

villareal
21-03-12, 14:43
thans for this information

leeboy
30-03-12, 17:07
Looking at the pictures my box is kind of a mixture of the 2... Im talking about the inside.

The most noticable is the red back to the avi / component ports.

So which could it be ?

My remote is white if it makes the difference ?

Regards

Larry-G
30-03-12, 17:27
the solo never shipped with a white remote only the early duo's did. so if you have a solo with a white remote thats a good indication its a clone.

leeboy
30-03-12, 17:36
The remote is pretty cheap looking and creaks like hell when pressing buttons.

Mr. Mister
30-03-12, 17:55
the solo never shipped with a white remote only the early duo's did. so if you have a solo with a white remote thats a good indication its a clone.

Not true pheonix..

My very 1st solo that i bought about 18 months ago came with a white remote.. Although i bought another for a friend a few weeks after and it came with a black remote..

@ leeboy..

Is your solo new..?? or just new to you.. ??

leeboy
30-03-12, 17:58
It was brand new in January Mr Mister.... I started to supect as the software updates failed and i could not run the latest VIX

Larry-G
30-03-12, 17:59
as far as i was aware Vu only released the very early duo's with a white remote, i have a v 1.3 duo my self with the white remote, the solo was released after Vu ditched the white remote in favor of the black one.

leeboy
30-03-12, 18:07
Pheonix and Mr Mister i have PM'd you both some pictures for your opinions please.

Thanks

LB

Ev0
30-03-12, 18:08
Why not post the pics here ??

Sicilian
30-03-12, 18:27

Pic's in first post ;)

leeboy
30-03-12, 18:44

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c358/leeboy10/DSC_0009-1.jpg

White remote.

Inside of lid all black.

Wont update via internet or run latest VIX.

Cheers

LB

Ev0
30-03-12, 18:54
When you compare to first post, it looks like you have a clone psu and a genuine main board lol.

But when you look close there are some small differences and it looks to me like you have a clone I'm afraid.

Larry-G
30-03-12, 19:01
if its a brand new box then as i said the fact it shipped with a white remote suggests its a clone. also what did you pay for it if you dont mind me asking ?.

leeboy
30-03-12, 19:15
IIRC £210 mate.

I have bought off the guy before and have had no issues tbf to him.

Mr. Mister
30-03-12, 19:21
Its defo a clone if its only 3 months old.. and it has a white remote..

did it come with an RS232 cable and a little RS232 board as well.. ??

leeboy
30-03-12, 20:11
No matey no cable or board other than a AVI with the 3 colours.

sonc
30-03-12, 22:12
In the BlackHole image there is a plugin called "Genuine Vuplus" which is meant to verify the authenticity of the box. Isn't this available in Vix (if that's the image you have installed)?

Mr. Mister
31-03-12, 01:47
I dont think its available in Vix.. ??

I have seen it in VTI.. But not Vix..

Just checked in Vix,, and unless i mist something.. I dont see it..

would be pretty good to have this in the Vix image downloads..

chudofbroady
25-03-13, 12:58
Thanks for the advice

BOYNUMBERONE
06-04-13, 11:39
may you who have a genuine box post us a high resolution picture from inside of the solo box? it would be great.
sry for my english