PDA

View Full Version : When is a new HW revision for Vu+ Duo due in, guys?

gorski
27-07-10, 09:04
Allegedly, we need a new HW revision [a new chipset (not the CPU!)?] to be able to stream properly from a PC to Vu+ Duo...

If, however, one sends an .avi or .mkv file to a built-in HDD, then the Enigma2 MM Player is OK, they say...

Is that correct? Any more info on a possible HW change, guys?

Cheers!:cool:

OldSkulRide
27-07-10, 09:40
Gorski, how is your azbox doing? :D

Why would you stream videos to vu+? You can play them via integrated media player. ATM vu+ doesnt play all videos well, but that can change in the future. Afterall vu+ is sat receiver, not media player. I have xtreamer for videos.

gorski
27-07-10, 10:00
I want AIO, of course... Not enough HDMI ports in my Home Theatre... :D

AZbux HD, you mean? :p

Yes, that's the issue, streaming in all directions, no just from Vu+ Duo: can it be done with a new HW revision and when, if so?!?

Another one is [the sensitivity and endurance of] tuners [because they are built-in, not PnP] and the missing 1080p...

Any words of wisdom, please>

Zupy
27-07-10, 10:03
The mediaplayer is now on 30% possibility - let them fix this up to the end and it is Ok for me.

Who wants to better the best is to buy some of the media players like wd live or similar.

Sicilian
27-07-10, 11:20
Going off topic slightly here, but if anyone wants a cheap media player that will play more or less everything you throw at it, take a look at one of thse: -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0030GP0BK/ref=asc_df_B0030GP0BK728678?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B0030GP0BK

It runs on a Linux OS and can also use firmware from other manufacturers like the Mvix Ultio ;)

I've got one hooked up on my network, easy to transfer and watch full 1080 MKV's.

gorski
27-07-10, 11:22
Can you explain a bit better, Zupy?

Thanx!

gorski
27-07-10, 11:32
Apparently, MM-wise, some network problems [streaming for some formats etc.] require a new chipset. That's the circuitry around the CPU, which allows for working with demanding A-V files and so forth...

So, possibly the southbridge:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chipset

Or will it have to the CPU, with licences etc.? Can it be done at "our" end, via SW alone?

Anyone...???

gorski
27-07-10, 11:42
In Sweden, Kjell sell this, Chinese made MMP:

http://www.kjell.com/filarkiv/SUPPORTPDF/91-100/98/98509/98509_datablad.pdf

Roxcore EZ-Play HD
Datablad
Kompakt och mångsidig mediaspelare med Full HD
1080p-upplösning. Stöd för de flesta formaten på
marknaden. Anslut EZ-Play HD till TV:n eller hembioanläggningen
via HDMI, komponent- eller kompositvideo,
digitalt (optisk) eller analogt ljud. Spela sedan upp
filerna från den inbyggda hårddisken (medföljer ej) eller
ett externt USB-minne/USB-hårddisk. EZ-play HD kan
också anslutas direkt till nätverket eller nätverkshårddisk.
På så vis kommer EZ-Play HD åt alla utdelningar
på hemnätverket. Spelaren kan även kopplas till datorn
som extern hårddisk.
Specifikationer:
Hårddiskstöd: SATA 3,5”
Filsystem: FAT32, NTFS
USB-host: Stöder flera USB-enheter
USB-port: Höghastighets USB 2.0
Nätverkanslutning: 10/100 mbit/s
Trådlöst via USB-dongel (tillval)
Videoutgångar: Komposit, komponent, HDMI
Ljudutgångar: Stereo, digital HDMI, koaxial,
optisk
Ljudformat: mp3, wma (ej lossless), wav,
aac, ogg, dolby digital ac3
Videodekoder: mpeg 1/2/4, divx, xvid, h.264,
wmv, vc-1
Filformat: wmv, mkv, mov, avi, mp4,
mpg, ts/m2ts/tp, iso, ifo, vob,
dat, flv, rm, rmvb
Undertexter: ssa, smi, srt, sub
Bilder: jpg, bmp, png, gif
Nätadapter: AC in: 100-240VAC, 50/60 Hz
DC ut: 12 V, 2 A
Mått: 215 x 164,6 x 56,5 mm
Vikt: ca 750 g (utan hårddisk)

OldSkulRide
27-07-10, 11:44
Nobody knows what will vu+ release next year.

VU+ should have similar media capabilities as DM500HD but atm there are driver problems with media part of this sat receiver. We need to wait for driver fixes.

gorski
27-07-10, 11:48
How certain are you it's just the drivers, m8?

Zupy
27-07-10, 12:50
Because it is a very buggy, open files and play it but for example one times opens streched picture if you do hard reset shows picture with black bar.
If there is any fault in media that you play stays withoth sound so have tu use jump buttons to get it back....etc
Vu+ team get focus on satellite part until now and they make it excellent in work, they fix every part of sw thath users reported as bug.
At last time the pressure is on media player and reaction was seen in last original 5.0 image -so i belive that they will take out maximum from this box but takes little time.
I think that role off this box is to be a good satellite box (which is already) and media player is his second part.

gorski
27-07-10, 13:23
Cool!

Tuners?

1080p a problem?

Cheers!

Zupy
27-07-10, 13:31
Tuners I dont see no problems??
1080p plays over autoresolution plugin I think.

I download only 720p so I did not bothered with 1080p too mouch ;)

OldSkulRide
27-07-10, 13:33
Tuners are very good. No problems.

And i also only use 720p :D

gorski
27-07-10, 15:34
1080p plugin? How is that possible? TV channel upscaling to 1080p?

One of the Q's was about HW or SW blindscan - is it there and how does it function, please?

Their sensitivity when compared to AZbug HD and, say, DBox2, please? Anyone knows?

MM: playing from the built-in HDD things - all the major formats are functioning, incl. MKV 720 and 1080?

How about from USB HDD?

Thanx!

Likvid
27-07-10, 16:08
Allegedly, we need a new HW revision [a new chipset (not the CPU!)?] to be able to stream properly from a PC to Vu+ Duo...

If, however, one sends an .avi or .mkv file to a built-in HDD, then the Enigma2 MM Player is OK, they say...

Is that correct? Any more info on a possible HW change, guys?

Cheers!:cool:

Det är bättre du köper en Popcorn Hour C-200 jag gjorde, E2 är ruggigt kass som mediacenter idag och kommer förmodligen vara framöver.

I det fallet tror jag Azbox är en betydligt bättre box än VUduo.

Vad jag läst kommer ingen ny box, vad jag tycker saknar är modulära tuners som Ipbox9000HD har.

Sicilian
27-07-10, 16:11
Det är bättre du köper en Popcorn Hour C-200 jag gjorde, E2 är ruggigt kass som mediacenter idag och kommer förmodligen vara framöver.

I det fallet tror jag Azbox är en betydligt bättre box än VUduo.

Vad jag läst kommer ingen ny box, vad jag tycker saknar är modulära tuners som Ipbox9000HD har.

Google translation of what Livkid posted above: -

It is better you buy a Popcorn Hour C-200 I did, E2 is gruesomely disposed of as media center today and will probably be ahead.

In that case, I think Azbox is a much better box than VUduo.

What I read is not a new box, what I think is missing is modular tuners who have Ipbox9000HD.

In future please stick to posting in English as that is the primary language of this forum.

Thank you :)

Ojustaboo
27-07-10, 16:23
I brought this box as a media player as well as a satellite box.

if you look at any advert for this box (such as the one from this sites sponsor) it has a nice pic of VLC video player (no mention of this only being used to stream from a PC).

Having used VLC on my PC, I made what I consider to be a common sense assumption that a box advertised as having Internet, VLC PLayer, you tube etc was more than just a satellite box and would have no problem playing back media that a £20+ dvd player can handle.

The ONLY reason my lovely wife agreed I could buy this box is that I convinced her of it's media playing capabilities.

Edit: have the cardboard box in front of me, under Main Features it says "Media Player"

gorski
27-07-10, 18:24
Oj, was this about Vu+ Duo?

Thanx to all! I might keep both boxes then...

AZbox HD for some streaming, until Vu+ gets better in that department and Vu+ for Sat TV stuff and recording movies etc.

I will compare, when I get Vu+ Duo and write in detail... It seems it may be necessary, to clear the air, as it were... ;)

OldSkulRide
27-07-10, 18:29
VU+ doesnt support SW or HW blindscan.

720P MKVs play quite well, you can even use subtitles but they need to be converted to UTF-8. DTS downmix is supported (openpli) but it doesnt work 100%.

Likvid
27-07-10, 21:03
Google translation of what Livkid posted above: -

In future please stick to posting in English as that is the primary language of this forum.

Thank you :)

Sorry for that mate.

Ojustaboo
27-07-10, 23:14
Oj, was this about Vu+ Duo?

Yes.

If you don't intend pausing/fast forwarding/rewinding MKV files then most work 100% fine. But when you do start pausing, that's when sound starts playing up (takes a while to come back on, often requiring a further pause/unpause or rewind to make it do so)

A few days ago I tried mounting an iso on the VUduo and using DVD player. It played fairly well, people like my wife who struggle to see the difference between HD and Sd would have had no problem, but to me, the pic quality was awful.

I then ripped the ISO on my PC to MKV, ftp'd that to the VUduo and the pic quality was 10 times better.

Given time I think it will be a great media player, but it's not there yet.

Zupy
28-07-10, 09:09
, you can even use subtitles but they need to be converted to UTF-8.

Dont need that because there is patch from my friend DDamir - mediaplayer then automatically converts to utf8 ;)

Maybie soon some new staff from him related to this problem

gorski
29-07-10, 11:15
VU+ doesnt support SW or HW blindscan.

Just read on SU forum it does support it, if slow.... Are you correct or him, please?

gorski
30-07-10, 14:41
quibath agrees with you: it doesn't support blindscan...

Hmmm... See, this is what I hate about AZbug HD: "It does this, that, the other...." and when you get there.... "Oh, well... it should... it could... it ought to... one day... maybe..."

These things should be well advertised and not given any hints in the wrong direction!!! We should read "it has this HW, can do these things...." and then, later on, "Maybe we can add to it..." No more, no less!!!

TUT
09-10-10, 22:59
Any update or news regarding new Hardware version of the VU+ DUO ?

gorski
10-10-10, 02:23
I haven't heard any such news...

For the next edition, NOT having one to check for myself but relying on reports from others, I would recommend 1080p tuners with blinscan. Not only for higher definition resolution but also the quality of picture, as some were disappointed with it, I read...

Presuming that it's only the drivers for MM - nothing else needs changing, from what I read. If it isn't just the drivers, then the south bridge should be stronger, to allow for better streaming.

Any other ideas for better HW, v. 2.4??? ;)

TUT
10-10-10, 11:42
The next VU+ DUO version can do with:

1- Much improved picture quality in HD and SD
2- PIP
3- Full 1080p support
4- Series Link
5- Physical external loop through
6- Blind Scan
7- 4:2:2 support
8- Full multimedia support playback and streaming
9- Modular tuners
10- Sleek and modern design, ergonomic with better layout remote control

gorski
10-10-10, 12:40
I suppose a fair summary for "the next step", from what I have read so far... ;)

TUT
10-10-10, 22:14
Hope this next version is coming out sooner

pooface
10-10-10, 22:25
The next VU+ DUO version can do with:
4- Series Link

You won't get a better series link in my opinion than what's available with the vix image and the autotimer (or, installing and configuring autotimer manually). Until someone gets the source code and a way to transfer it over to the duo, from the sky boxes, then this is the best you'll get...

As for virtually all of the rest of your requests, it's likely just going to be kept as "hopeful"...

How many other boxes can dowhat you've asked?! OK, the azbox can do some of it, but then again, the azbox can't do half of what the duo can...

Then, you have the dm8000. What can that do better than the duo (apart from modular tuners and up to 4 tuners), than the duo!? Not really worth while money is it?! So, if the duo came out with the features you want, but cost the same price as the dm8000, would you still pay the extra money for it?!? I don't think I would ... those features aren't worth £400-£500 to me!!!

gorski
11-10-10, 07:58
Ermmm, nope, not necessarily. AZbug P+ doesn't cost that much.

Actually, I don't really need:

4- Series Link
5- Physical external loop through
7- 4:2:2 support
9- Modular tuners -> if the new ones are gonna be really good, with 1080p and blindscan

And Duo support is way, way better!!!

Lots of sales -> costs go down...

So, this is reasonable, non?

fulabeer
11-10-10, 09:33
Hi TUT
What have you found wrong with the SD and HD picture on the current DUO?

Alan Pee
11-10-10, 09:56
The picture quality of the current vuplus duo is very ok in my opinion. Anybody who is complaining about the
pic. quality (HD and SD) should check their tv and box Vid. settings.

gorski
11-10-10, 09:56
Actually, I would like to know that, too...

You know, a lot of this "picture quality problems" stuff is actually "like-dislike" only - and one can't find a single piece of objectivity in any of those "arguments".

On top it all, if one can see that one is biased towards a receiver or a company - not saying TUT is one of them but it is frequently so - then one can get a "real picture", as it were... :D

Don't get me wrong: there must be more objective ways of measuring the picture accuracy and so on... But most of it we see on forums like this one is... well... flawed from the start, esp. when we see users obviously taking sides, whatever the reason... ;) Again, not saying TUT is - I can not possibly, as I don't know him - but from many such debates all round net... ;)

Likvid
11-10-10, 11:02
We can all agree on that the picture quality of Vu+ is not the best in the market right? it's good that we can output native resolution with Autores plugin and such but in the end of the day they picture lacks the punsch and crispness that other receivers have.

I have the Sky HD box which have the same Broadcom chipset as VU+ Duo and the Sky HD box got alot better sharper cleaner picture than VU+.

Compared to my previous IPBOX9000 you can't really compare, however the IPBOX doesn't have any autores feature so it fails in that department.,

Likvid
11-10-10, 11:04
Any update or news regarding new Hardware version of the VU+ DUO ?

It will come Q1, 2011, that is the reason the box is dumped in price right now in Europe, in Sweden you can buy the Vu+ for around 360 euros.

Likvid
11-10-10, 11:07
Then, you have the dm8000. What can that do better than the duo (apart from modular tuners and up to 4 tuners), than the duo!? Not really worth while money is it?! So, if the duo came out with the features you want, but cost the same price as the dm8000, would you still pay the extra money for it?!? I don't think I would ... those features aren't worth £400-£500 to me!!!

The Dm8000 is getting cheaper for every week now so it starts to attract my attention anyway, i've sold both my VU+ now and waiting to see what i shall buy next, the Vu+ for me was a boring box as everything just works but the most annoying thing with Vu+ for me is that it's so damn ugly, well the Spiderbox9000 takes the price for the ugliest box on the planet :lol:

The DM8000 is good that you have modular tuners, i need DVB-C for some channels and DM8000 got that option, also the DM8000 got pretty nice looking design, looks more exclusive, also the Dm8000 is faster and you have more available images and you have Picture in Picture which is really a big shame that Vu+ doesn't have in a modern receiver, i guess they skimped that option to save costs.

Right now you can buy a cloned DM8000 for only 400 euros, but you can buy the original box for 750 euros now, 300 euros difference from Vu+, it's tempting...

Sicilian
11-10-10, 11:19
It will come Q1, 2011, that is the reason the box is dumped in price right now in Europe, in Sweden you can buy the Vu+ for around 360 euros.

So what firm confirmation do you have about this apart from hear say across the forums?

My advice to people is, if they want a VU+ Duo, buy it now while the price is right. It isn't always going to stay this low.

Likvid
11-10-10, 12:16
So what firm confirmation do you have about this apart from hear say across the forums?

My advice to people is, if they want a VU+ Duo, buy it now while the price is right. It isn't always going to stay this low.

It will go lower because the new box is coming soon, as i said it will come Q1, i got the information from Marusys direct.

There is a reason why dealers are dumping their stocks in Europe right now except in the Uk of course which doesn't know what's going on in reality.

Sicilian
11-10-10, 12:20
Whatever you say Livkid......................seems you know more than everyone else in Europe :rofl:

Likvid
11-10-10, 12:50
Whatever you say Livkid......................seems you know more than everyone else in Europe :rofl:

Why? you say i am a liar?

Ask Marusys yourself if you have the contacts.

bassethound
11-10-10, 13:37
I dont think dealers are dumping there stock its that they have been making costumers pay a premium on the boxes as you can buy them wholesale from distributes for EUR 299-319 or less.

guff daddy
11-10-10, 13:51
Getting back to the picture quality issue, I would like those who claim the quality is less than for example the IPBOX/CubeRevo to specify what channel/sat they are talking about - and even what program on the channel.

Especially for SD channels the quality can vary widely - on 28.2e for example, compare BBC1 (excellent SD quality) with either Setanta Sport (variable quality but generally dreadful) or some of the free adult channels (just for PQ comparison obviously).

I had a CubeRevo for about 4 months and I can't particularly remember the picture quality - what I DO remember is flashing the ****ing thing 2 or 3 times a night with various different images in a desperate attempt to actually get to watch some TV.

gorski
11-10-10, 15:18
the Vu+ for me was a boring box as everything just works

FFS, Likvid, what an "argument"... :rolleyes: :D Gimme one like that, PLLLLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

but the most annoying thing with Vu+ for me is that it's so damn ugly, well the Spiderbox9000 takes the price for the ugliest box on the planet

Honestly, as if that matters 1 iota... Seriously, dude, are you a superstar fashion-boy, pin-up from Playmate's calendars or summat? :rolleyes: :D

The DM8000 is good that you have modular tuners, i need DVB-C for some channels and DM8000 got that option

That is a real advantage, of course! But for how much money? If the ones that will be built-in the new model, for the sake of an argument, are 1080p with blindscan, sensitive enough and reliable - that's cool, too!

also the DM8000 got pretty nice looking design, looks more exclusive

Yayks! Exclusive? Man, we are all for making SaT tv inclusive - AND WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU SAYING...??? :rolleyes: :D

also the Dm8000 is faster

OKI, good to know, if true - but why? Processor + other HW + coding or...???:confused:

and you have more available images

Just gimme one that kicks arse, never mind the bo**ocks... ;)

and you have Picture in Picture which is really a big shame that Vu+ doesn't have in a modern receiver, i guess they skimped that option to save costs.

Possible. And it is a shame they do not have it, as it is a useful feature, indeed, with today's hobbyist, agreed!:cool:

Right now you can buy a cloned DM8000 for only 400 euros

Where and which one, please? How good a quality of build? Differences in HW that can be exploited by DMM? As you know, if they can - they will mess with you by messing with your HW...:mad:

but you can buy the original box for 750 euros now, 300 euros difference from Vu+, it's tempting...

:eek:

:confused:

No, definitively NOT SO!!! :baby:

Now, as for the "quality of image" - most of the time it's based on nothing but "like - dislike" and frequently the dislike has its whole reason in "fan-like" routing for one's "tribe", which is frequently based in rather countable interests...

Here is a post from Satbiz forum, thanx to Bambi:

One of the best skinera (Miro iliti Matrix) gives us his TOP 5 list of HD sat recs...

Btw, the three recs that were thrown out are from DM kitchen.

The man is in this quality of pics business for a long time and he owns all of those recs:

1. DM 500 HD
2. DM 8000 HD
3. Vu+ Duo HD
4. DM 800 HD
5. AZ Box

There, to give other opinions, too. See which one weighs more...;)

gorski
11-10-10, 15:21
Btw, is there a good Sat TV rec dealer, who has a kinda demo-room, if not a proper show-room, in Stockholm, please? Would you know? I'd like to see Vu+ in action, preferably together with DM8000 - well, at least its clone... :D

It'd be great if he had AZbug HD, as that is my reference point... ;)

OldSkulRide
11-10-10, 15:21
Sorry, but DM500HD shouldnt be on the first place. Especially now when you can get VU+DUO for 355EUR.
I own VU+DUO and DM500HD. VU+ DUO is better, no doubt.

gorski
11-10-10, 15:41
See, I tell you - it's all "like-dislike"....

I mean, how would we measure "objectively", to begin with?!?

Likvid
11-10-10, 18:09
Getting back to the picture quality issue, I would like those who claim the quality is less than for example the IPBOX/CubeRevo to specify what channel/sat they are talking about - and even what program on the channel.

Especially for SD channels the quality can vary widely - on 28.2e for example, compare BBC1 (excellent SD quality) with either Setanta Sport (variable quality but generally dreadful) or some of the free adult channels (just for PQ comparison obviously).

I had a CubeRevo for about 4 months and I can't particularly remember the picture quality - what I DO remember is flashing the ****ing thing 2 or 3 times a night with various different images in a desperate attempt to actually get to watch some TV.

I know what you mean, when you have scanned all 30 sats on the IPBOX and have the database full of about 15000 channels or so the receiver creeps slow like hell, that annoyed me as hell.

If you compare BBC1 on Vu+ and IPBOX you will see that IPBOX is slightly better but most people will not notice.

Likvid
11-10-10, 18:12
Btw, is there a good Sat TV rec dealer, who has a kinda demo-room, if not a proper show-room, in Stockholm, please? Would you know? I'd like to see Vu+ in action, preferably together with DM8000 - well, at least its clone... :D

It'd be great if he had AZbug HD, as that is my reference point... ;)

You refer to me? hehe...i'm not a dealer, i have my private showroom :)

guff daddy
11-10-10, 18:31
I know what you mean, when you have scanned all 30 sats on the IPBOX

Nope, just one sat (28.2e) - but dreadful trouble running that poxy incubuscamd. Spent most of 3 months staring at spinners...

Likvid
11-10-10, 20:51
Nope, just one sat (28.2e) - but dreadful trouble running that poxy incubuscamd. Spent most of 3 months staring at spinners...

Yeah that spinner, and that awful picture quality with E2 and IPBOX or the annoying Sharp tuner problems, hehe the list can go on and on..

You only get the good PQ with DGS images as the drivers in E2 doesn't seem to take full potential of the hardware.

Stanman
11-10-10, 21:55
I've used a FOXST HDR, SKY HD and VU+, out of all three the Foxsat and VU are about same though I preferred the Foxsat as for the SKY box it was a poor third, pic in HD was too soft.

fulabeer
12-10-10, 08:19
It is hard to just say "SKY HD BOX" as there are so many different types.
I've found the newer smaller Amstrads to be very soft with SD but good with HD.
Another problem with sat receivers is when people complain about grain or blocking.
That can be a sign that the receiver is actually very good and is showing up the source material flaws.
HDMI has taken a lot of guess work out of the signal chain being the problem.
But some displays still manage to cock things up.
The analogue chain had so many variables (cable types/length etc), that some people actually began to think the flaws were the correct image.
I remember receiving one of the first HDMI cables in the uk. It was partnered with one of the first HDMI enabled DVD players from Pioneer.
After it was set up with a Marantzs VP12s3 DLP front projector, i had many visitors from around the country.
The main comments were that the picture lacked saturation and the image had excessive film grain.
A few commented that the image was "too" sharp!
Of course the image was perfect, but many had got used to analogue traits that in some ways was nicer, but not accurate...

nikos7000s
16-10-10, 21:39
Is this the new VU + duo 2 ? , marusys ms850s. :confused:

gorski
16-10-10, 22:51
Yeah, they look a lot alike... And if you ask me - that ain't bad! But there are some crybabies here who are very particular as to what looks "good" to them... :D

TUT
16-10-10, 23:04
No it's not , this model (Marusys MS850S) is an old model and has been around since earlier this year and been discussed here in the forum before: http://www.vuplus-support.co.uk/showthread.php?311-Original-Vu-Duo-(MS850S)-manual&p=1031

jusaju
16-10-10, 23:19
Heh

Search button is good :)

This was in many forums when vu+duo came to market...circle has closed up :)

Likvid
17-10-10, 11:42
They need to fix their design with the new box, it's terrible cheap looking now.

The rubber feets needs to be changed to polished aluminium feets, the front panel needs to remove the ugly rings and the display needs OLED.

grtmoby
17-10-10, 12:44
They need to fix their design with the new box, it's terrible cheap looking now.

The rubber feets needs to be changed to polished aluminium feets, the front panel needs to remove the ugly rings and the display needs OLED.

i like those so-called ugly rings but yes OLED would be good ;)

Likvid
17-10-10, 13:08
i like those so-called ugly rings but yes OLED would be good ;)

Maybe possible already to change display to OLED?