PDA

View Full Version : HDD Format Choice

nghozzi
26-07-10, 20:19
Hi everybody,
I'm buying a HDD for my brand new VU+ DUO.
I wonder what will be the best format to go with: 3,5", 2,5" internals or usb or eSata externals??
My issues are: noise & noise & noise, and then of course performance..
I had a relook 400S and I was incredibly annoyed by the Disk and the fan noise.
So if I opt for a 2,5, does this considerably lower the noise? Does this type permits me to disable the fan completely?
Is the fan in VU+ necessary for all the components inside, or can we simply disable it without risking hardware failure???
Hope that you can give me as detailed answer as possible.
Thanks for your precious help...

basilyoung
26-07-10, 22:59
Hi everybody,
I'm buying a HDD for my brand new VU+ DUO.
I wonder what will be the best format to go with: 3,5", 2,5" internals or usb or eSata externals??
My issues are: noise & noise & noise, and then of course performance..
I had a relook 400S and I was incredibly annoyed by the Disk and the fan noise.
So if I opt for a 2,5, does this considerably lower the noise? Does this type permits me to disable the fan completely?
Is the fan in VU+ necessary for all the components inside, or can we simply disable it without risking hardware failure???
Hope that you can give me as detailed answer as possible.
Thanks for your precious help...

The fan on the dou can be heard, but, it can be disconnected, as the unit does not run hot, and I know of several peeps that have donr this, with no ill effect on the unit, but in the end, that is up to you
I use a 1 tera bit 3.5 sata drive, (internal) and noise is next to none
I have also used external sata drive / enclosure again very quite
but can not help on the 2.5 sata drives,m I do not use them

baz

ps, welcome to the forum, and it would be nice to post an intro and a bit about yourself in the introduction section
also it helps if you add a signiture via your profile / settings, a break down of your set up,...dish size/motor type and so on

nghozzi
26-07-10, 23:12
thanks for the answer mate.