PDA

View Full Version : DTT Not great on new updated image....

dfdream
26-12-11, 19:02
Sorry I posted this under a VU Uno post instead of Duo.....

All, I installed the new firmware this morning and restored the settings.
The Sundtek driver wasnt in the plugins list when I restored settings so I did the install from the sundtek control panel.
Are they the same drivers.
All installed OK but the DTT Sundtek worked really bad.
Timeout errors, not data on transponder errors and freezes on black screens.
No plugins installed and I tired the update drivers in sundtek control center and it was no difference.

I needed to be able to record stuff today so I restored 2.3 and the DTT is fine.

Anyone else any issues with sundtek (especially on irish dtt.) since update of 24th.

andyblac
27-12-11, 11:28
Sorry I posted this under a VU Uno post instead of Duo.....

All, I installed the new firmware this morning and restored the settings.
The Sundtek driver wasnt in the plugins list when I restored settings so I did the install from the sundtek control panel.
Are they the same drivers.
All installed OK but the DTT Sundtek worked really bad.
Timeout errors, not data on transponder errors and freezes on black screens.
No plugins installed and I tired the update drivers in sundtek control center and it was no difference.

I needed to be able to record stuff today so I restored 2.3 and the DTT is fine.

Anyone else any issues with sundtek (especially on irish dtt.) since update of 24th.

please report your issues to Sundtek, as it is driver related, and i don't have a DTT stick, sorry andy.

dfdream
27-12-11, 12:28
Thanks Andy for the update.

If you could point me to what has changed since the image earlier in the month that makes you feel its the driver so I can pass on the information to Sundtek.
Is it the change to Linux 3.1.1 that requires an update to the driver or is it a new driver that sundtek has released since the last image that is the issue.

As you state its "Driver Related" are sundtek already aware of the issue.

Thanks

D

andyblac
27-12-11, 13:21
Thanks Andy for the update.

If you could point me to what has changed since the image earlier in the month that makes you feel its the driver so I can pass on the information to Sundtek.
Is it the change to Linux 3.1.1 that requires an update to the driver or is it a new driver that sundtek has released since the last image that is the issue.

As you state its "Driver Related" are sundtek already aware of the issue.

Thanks

D

yes, the only change in vu from 2.3.133 to 2.3.153 is mainly new linux kernel.

dfdream
27-12-11, 13:45
Thanks Andy.

But I was just wondering what was making you think the issue is driver related as this information would be important for the sundtek guys.

dfdream
31-12-11, 09:03
Andy do you have any info that might help Sundtek to correct the issue that you see with the driver in case the description I give them hasnt enough information.
Thanks
D

andyblac
31-12-11, 13:07
the only change between versions is the kernel update, so what i meant was that probably have to update their driver for linux 3.1.1 dvb-core.

just give them access to your box via telnet, that would prob help them.

DubSat65
02-01-12, 16:13
Hi Dfdream, Hi Andy

First of all as a long time lurker first time poster, thank you very much Andy and Team for the ViX image... fantastic work!

I'm having the same issues as you on Irish DTT with a Sundtek Media Pro and using an indoor aerial (we're close to the Three Rock transmitter), Dfdream.

For what it's worth I tried the latest Black Hole Image (1.6.7) that also uses Linux 3.1.1 and the Sundtek Tuner seemed to have no problems there... left it tuned in to a DTT channel overnight and all was fine in the morning.

Tried again on the new ViX 2.3 + Updates today and I find that if I leave the VU+ Duo tuned in to a DTT channel it (sometimes but not always) looses the signal and I get the ViX spinner, forcing me to reboot the box ( I have a log I can post if it would help).
Other times as you indicate Dfdream, the channel just goes blank with the message "No data on Transponder: Timeout reading PAT" ...although the message is no always present.

Fantastic image, but just has this one issue as far as I can see!

Larry-G
02-01-12, 16:17
Hi Dfdream, Hi Andy

First of all as a long time lurker first time poster, thank you very much Andy and Team for the ViX image... fantastic work!

I'm having the same issues as you on Irish DTT with a Sundtek Media Pro and using an indoor aerial (we're close to the Three Rock transmitter), Dfdream.

For what it's worth I tried the latest Black Hole Image (1.6.7) that also uses Linux 3.1.1 and the Sundtek Tuner seemed to have no problems there... left it tuned in to a DTT channel overnight and all was fine in the morning.

Tried again on the new ViX 2.3 + Updates today and I find that if I leave the VU+ Duo tuned in to a DTT channel it (sometimes but not always) looses the signal and I get the ViX spinner, forcing me to reboot the box ( I have a log I can post if it would help).
Other times as you indicate Dfdream, the channel just goes blank with the message "No data on Transponder: Timeout reading PAT" ...although the message is no always present.

Fantastic image, but just has this one issue as far as I can see!

if you have a crash log then please do upload it here or use the logs manager via the blue button on the receiver. you may also try a debug session.

To enable debugging
menu>setup>system>logs>settings. set enable debug log to yes.

now after you experience this problem reboot the box and look in /media/hdd/ for a log that corresponds to the time and date of the reboot, this is the debug log we need. you can upload it here or again use the logs manager. but remember to turn off the debug log function when your done with it or it will continue to log untill you do.

DubSat65
02-01-12, 16:27
if you have a crash log then please do upload it here or use the logs manager via the blue button on the receiver. you may also try a debug session.

Hi Phoenix, Here is one log from today
S.

Larry-G
02-01-12, 16:30
Hi Phoenix, Here is one log from today
S.

many thanks, if you could also send this directly to the team and andy via the logs manager on the box that would be very helpful.

dfdream
02-01-12, 16:50
Hi Phoenix

I had been uploading the logs for this issue for a few months back too (directly from the box).
Didnt hear back if anything was found on them so I assumed that there wasnt.

The DTT has been the only weak link on the VIX / DUO (havent tried any other image) for me but I sort of have given up on it.

DubSat65 how long did you test the VTI for ? Did it show any issue at all.
Does it suffer too from the delay changing channels.
What types of senario generally caused the DTT to fail. For me its recording 2 - 3 channels with at least 1 DTT the channel either freezes or a really strange one it would go into a loop of playing 5-10 secs of the channel over and over again even for hours, until I rebooted the box.

This is an old issue but as it primarily affects soarview users its probably not highest priority.

guff daddy
02-01-12, 16:54
. For me its recording 2 - 3 channels with at least 1 DTT the channel either freezes or a really strange one it would go into a loop of playing 5-10 secs of the channel over and over again even for hours, until I rebooted the box.

Yep, same for me - although not necessarily connected with recording. If I zap to a non DTT channel, then zap back to DTT, then zap again to non-DTT sooner or later I get the spinning logo and have to reboot. I've also had the loop of it replaying the same 3 or 4 seconds over and over...

This has been a consistent problem on all VIX versions since I got the DTT tuner (hauppauge Nova Win-T) about 8 months ago...

Larry-G
02-01-12, 16:57
To be honest fellas i'm not a coder and i dont even use a DTT stick so i cant be of much use here but logs are always valuable the more the better.

DubSat65
02-01-12, 17:04
many thanks, if you could also send this directly to the team and andy via the logs manager on the box that would be very helpful.

That's done now Phoenix

DubSat65
02-01-12, 17:13
DubSat65 how long did you test the VTI for ? Did it show any issue at all.
Does it suffer too from the delay changing channels.
What types of senario generally caused the DTT to fail. For me its recording 2 - 3 channels with at least 1 DTT the channel either freezes or a really strange one it would go into a loop of playing 5-10 secs of the channel over and over again even for hours, until I rebooted the box.

For me I tried BlackHole on Linux 3.1.1 last night ...watched RTE2 for two hours no problem. It also allowed me to record a TG4 program for 30 mins simultaneously with no problem. As I mentioned left the box switched on overnight ... came down this morning and it was still tuned in "correctly"

I've always found a slight delay changing DTT channels on the Suntek Tuner, but nothing too problematic...I'd always put it down to the fact it was an external tuner.

In the past DTT has rarely failed...and that includes many hours of recording... maybe once or twice it failed in 10 months.

When I tried the ViX 2.3 on Linux 3.1.1 I find that DTT channels lock within 30 mins or so...and if I'm forced to reboot then... I haven't tried recording with it yet (and the "old" ViX 2.3 works perfectly!)

S.

dfdream
02-01-12, 19:08
I tried the new image on the 26th Dec and within no lenght the DTT was showing problems.
Like you I went back to my backup. But 2.3 wasnt perfect with the sundtek either.
What was annoying is that the Sundtek was a premium DTT USB tuner with recommedations from loads of image developers but I think there is something seriously wrong.. Was contemplating a Ultimo but that isnt DVB-T2.
As Andy states above maybe Sundtek might need to update the drivers for the new linux update.
Wonder what version of driver the VTi Image is using if its not having any issues.

When you went from 2.3 to newest version did you have to change anything in the bootloader.

Ta

D

For me I tried BlackHole on Linux 3.1.1 last night ...watched RTE2 for two hours no problem. It also allowed me to record a TG4 program for 30 mins simultaneously with no problem. As I mentioned left the box switched on overnight ... came down this morning and it was still tuned in "correctly"

I've always found a slight delay changing DTT channels on the Suntek Tuner, but nothing too problematic...I'd always put it down to the fact it was an external tuner.

In the past DTT has rarely failed...and that includes many hours of recording... maybe once or twice it failed in 10 months.

When I tried the ViX 2.3 on Linux 3.1.1 I find that DTT channels lock within 30 mins or so...and if I'm forced to reboot then... I haven't tried recording with it yet (and the "old" ViX 2.3 works perfectly!)

S.

DubSat65
02-01-12, 23:16
When trying the Black Hole Image I used the latest drivers straight form the Sundtek.de site
...found the site by googling "sundtek drivers"
...using the latest drivers as of 111213.1912

I did nothing special in the bootloader for either Black Hole or ViX... first loaded the expanded bootloader: duo_cfe_3_0_usb.zip, then flashed the image and finally installed the the Sundtek drivers via FTP and kicked them off via Telnet

Like I say, all worked for Black Hole but not for ViX

Would love to see this resolved for ViX...would be very happy then!

S.

gipo
03-01-12, 12:26
I also updated image on 25th dec and had some problems with dtt, the usual ones(which I have been having since I got it). However, for a different reason I had to factory reset and then I also did not restore settings and since then dtt has been running flawless. Using WinTV stick.

DubSat65
03-01-12, 15:59
I also updated image on 25th dec and had some problems with dtt, the usual ones(which I have been having since I got it). However, for a different reason I had to factory reset and then I also did not restore settings and since then dtt has been running flawless. Using WinTV stick.

I tried a factory install, but the problem (with the Sundtek Media Pro) unfortunately persists!... feels to me like it is an issue with ViX unfortunately (as it works in Black Hole)

DubSat65
04-01-12, 15:51
Some progress I hope!

I found this link

http://support.sundtek.com/index.php/topic,348.0.html

Following its suggestion, I reloaded the new ViX 2.3 image, but this time instead of loading the Sundtek drivers from the Control Centre Plugin I did the following:

First, unplug the Sundtek Media Pro from the USB Port

Telnet into the box and ran the following commands

cd /tmp
wget http://www.sundtek.de/media/sundtek_installer_development.sh
chmod 755 sundtek_installer_development.sh
./sundtek_installer_development.sh
cd /usr/script
./DVB_T_Tuner_autostart.sh
./DVB_T_Tuner_starten.sh

Reboot the box

Plug the Sundtek Media Pro back into the USB Port ( the Sundtek site mentioned something about "With the latest driver there was a firmware update introduced, this requires to replug the device after installing the driver.")

Hey Presto...all looks good!
Not quite sure what driver this installed, but it's been working since last night (15 hours)...I've tested recording one DTT channel while watching another... all is good!

The one issue that seems to still occur (and I found this with the Black Hole Image too) is that if you run through the DTT channels too quickly using the "+" button on the remote it seems that the Tuner "locks out" and you have to reboot the box...at a guess it's as if the Tuner doesn't have time to lock into the new channel and so it gives up, I don't recall this happening with the pre 3.1.1 version

Like I say, this one issue is common to both ViX and Black Hole, so I take back what I said before... looks like this is not a ViX issue, and (surprise, surpise!) you are right Andy, looks like a Sundtek issu!

S.

dfdream
04-01-12, 17:35
Will have a go at it over the weekend.

Thanks for the update.

D

Some progress I hope!

I found this link

http://support.sundtek.com/index.php/topic,348.0.html

Following its suggestion, I reloaded the new ViX 2.3 image, but this time instead of loading the Sundtek drivers from the Control Centre Plugin I did the following:

First, unplug the Sundtek Media Pro from the USB Port

Telnet into the box and ran the following commands

cd /tmp
wget http://www.sundtek.de/media/sundtek_installer_development.sh
chmod 755 sundtek_installer_development.sh
./sundtek_installer_development.sh
cd /usr/script
./DVB_T_Tuner_autostart.sh
./DVB_T_Tuner_starten.sh

Reboot the box

Plug the Sundtek Media Pro back into the USB Port ( the Sundtek site mentioned something about "With the latest driver there was a firmware update introduced, this requires to replug the device after installing the driver.")

Hey Presto...all looks good!
Not quite sure what driver this installed, but it's been working since last night (15 hours)...I've tested recording one DTT channel while watching another... all is good!

The one issue that seems to still occur (and I found this with the Black Hole Image too) is that if you run through the DTT channels too quickly using the "+" button on the remote it seems that the Tuner "locks out" and you have to reboot the box...at a guess it's as if the Tuner doesn't have time to lock into the new channel and so it gives up, I don't recall this happening with the pre 3.1.1 version

Like I say, this one issue is common to both ViX and Black Hole, so I take back what I said before... looks like this is not a ViX issue, and (surprise, surpise!) you are right Andy, looks like a Sundtek issu!

S.

DubSat65
05-01-12, 13:19
Will have a go at it over the weekend.

Thanks for the update.

D

Unfortunately I spoke too soon...while the Tuner does seem to stay stable for longer, the old problems of the signal being lost and needing a reboot do reappear.

So I've gone back to the old ViX2.3

S.

dfdream
05-01-12, 15:52
I think I will hold off too.

Here is the pickle. Who can tell if these issues are sorted in the future.. Will DTT users be stuck on the original 2.3...

Its not an issue for most users here (as they dont use it) Irishchris used to be heavily involved in looking at the DTT issues being reported but I think the problem is bigger than anyone here can address. (Receiver, Software and USB Tuner developed in isolation.)

What I have done in the interim is to get my old DM 7020s to record Irish stuff to the Movie Folder on my Duo over network (it frees up a tuner but doesnt have RTE2 HD though.
I think this is a dead duck until the replacement for the Ultimo comes with DVB-T2 card. At least then there will be some onus on VU+ to have the tuner working properly on the official image which should make it easier for the other images to implement.

D

Unfortunately I spoke too soon...while the Tuner does seem to stay stable for longer, the old problems of the signal being lost and needing a reboot do reappear.

So I've gone back to the old ViX2.3

S.

bassethound
05-01-12, 16:01
I have been using a PCTV Nano Stick 290e T2 on my ET9000 ruining latest Vix for over 10 days with no problems at all the drivers are in the Vix feeds and installed without a problem im in the UK mainland

jgc115
05-01-12, 17:05
@dfdream:-
Alternatively, you could buy a Nova-T or PLAYTV tuner - I've been using both on a Duo and Uno respectively for the past 5 days with the latest Vix 2.3.161 and so far without a problem. They're also much cheaper than the Sundtek.

@bassethound:-
Interested to know if MHEG5 (digital text) is working on the PCTV Nano stick???

jgc115

dfdream
05-01-12, 17:23
bassethound,

I honestly dont know what the issue is. I know I keep going on about it and others have no issues. A common theme seems to be amongst Irish users (here and other forums). Maybe when the HD Freeview stuff starts rolling out the issue will raise its head again.

I had seen somewhere on the web lots of complaints from italian users who are using the dvb-t2 as well and similar issues.

Ah Well...

I have been using a PCTV Nano Stick 290e T2 on my ET9000 ruining latest Vix for over 10 days with no problems at all the drivers are in the Vix feeds and installed without a problem im in the UK mainland

bassethound
05-01-12, 18:39
@bassethound:-
Interested to know if MHEG5 (digital text) is working on the PCTV Nano stick???

jgc115

Hi m8 if you are referring audio sub titles this is working fine cant get teletext to work :(

jgc115
05-01-12, 18:59
Hi m8 if you are referring audio sub titles this is working fine cant get teletext to work :(

Was referring to teletext - looking forward to the day this is supported by some DTT tuner on Vu+

Thanks

jgc115 :(

guff daddy
06-01-12, 17:52
Alternatively, you could buy a Nova-T or PLAYTV tuner - I've been using both on a Duo and Uno respectively for the past 5 days with the latest Vix 2.3.161 and so far without a problem.

Are you using these with Irish DTT? I've had a Nova-T on my Duo for a while (certainly since VIX 1.2) and have had ongoing intermittent problems no matter what the image version (I haven't tried other images, though - I'm VIX through and through!). Generally it involves a system hang when switching to a DTT channel - this happens at least once every couple of days. The VIX spinner starts up and the only solution is to reboot the box. Others have reported similar problems.

I have a Nova-T on my DM800HD running OpenPLI without any such problem. I certainly think it is an issue with the VU DTT driver and Irish DTT.

jgc115
07-01-12, 16:24
Are you using these with Irish DTT? I've had a Nova-T on my Duo for a while (certainly since VIX 1.2) and have had ongoing intermittent problems no matter what the image version (I haven't tried other images, though - I'm VIX through and through!). Generally it involves a system hang when switching to a DTT channel - this happens at least once every couple of days. The VIX spinner starts up and the only solution is to reboot the box. Others have reported similar problems.

I have a Nova-T on my DM800HD running OpenPLI without any such problem. I certainly think it is an issue with the VU DTT driver and Irish DTT.

Yes, I am using them on Irish DTT and I'm sorry to report that I've had my first failure on the Nova-T today. In fairness though I went out to try and break it by switching rapidly between SAT and DTT and hey presto! the spinning vix, had to reboot to the box to recover. It alway seems to be when you're switching between SAT and DTT, in particular when you're switching from an encrypted SAT channel to DTT.

I'm also a VIX fan through and through (latest image is fantastic) and consequently havn't tried another image. But I have to say the DTT is a lot more reliable on the latest image. Maybe the Ultimo will the answer to all our problems with the DTT pluggable tuner???

Interesting to hear the DM800HD is free of DTT issues. Is it the DM800HD SE you've got and what is is like to use? Also what's the OpenPLI like, is it as user friendly as the VIX?

OldSkulRide
07-01-12, 16:54
Guys, your sticks work OK with latest 3.1.1 kernel? Iam using latest OpenPLi and i have issues. When i install nova-t drivers, i cannot watch my recordings from HDD. Sound is also muted when i wake up the receiver. I need to press mute button twice to get sound again...

I guess you dont have such problems?

dfdream
08-01-12, 00:39
jgc115,

Unfortunately the Ultimo only comes with a DVB-T tuner not a DVB-T2 for HD/Saorview.

None in the pipline either it seems.

D

Yes, I am using them on Irish DTT and I'm sorry to report that I've had my first failure on the Nova-T today. In fairness though I went out to try and break it by switching rapidly between SAT and DTT and hey presto! the spinning vix, had to reboot to the box to recover. It alway seems to be when you're switching between SAT and DTT, in particular when you're switching from an encrypted SAT channel to DTT.

I'm also a VIX fan through and through (latest image is fantastic) and consequently havn't tried another image. But I have to say the DTT is a lot more reliable on the latest image. Maybe the Ultimo will the answer to all our problems with the DTT pluggable tuner???

Interesting to hear the DM800HD is free of DTT issues. Is it the DM800HD SE you've got and what is is like to use? Also what's the OpenPLI like, is it as user friendly as the VIX?

jgc115
08-01-12, 19:07
jgc115,

Unfortunately the Ultimo only comes with a DVB-T tuner not a DVB-T2 for HD/Saorview.

None in the pipline either it seems.

D

Hi dfdream,
As you probably know you do not need a DVB-T2 to receive HD Saorview. Saorview is, of course using MPEG-4 in the transport stream as standard and there is an MPEG-4 decoder present on all Vu+ boxes, that is why your DVB-T USB tuner is receiving RTE HD. I would be 100% certain that the DVB-T tuner (assuming it complies with the DVB-T European standards) for the Uno and the Ultimo will work in Ireland as, I believe, it does in other European countries to receive HD TV where MPEG-4 coding is used in the Transport Stream.

Granted, I would love to see a DVB-T2 tuner for the Vu+ as this would give it more support in UK and Ireland and maybe help to get things like MHEG5 (which is part of the Saorview and T2 spec) working on it as the T2 will work on both Saorview and Freeview-HD - Here's hoping someday soon!

dfdream
08-01-12, 19:18
Thanks for the update lad.

D

Hi dfdream,
As you probably know you do not need a DVB-T2 to receive HD Saorview. Saorview is, of course using MPEG-4 in the transport stream as standard and there is an MPEG-4 decoder present on all Vu+ boxes, that is why your DVB-T USB tuner is receiving RTE HD. I would be 100% certain that the DVB-T tuner (assuming it complies with the DVB-T European standards) for the Uno and the Ultimo will work in Ireland as, I believe, it does in other European countries to receive HD TV where MPEG-4 coding is used in the Transport Stream.

Granted, I would love to see a DVB-T2 tuner for the Vu+ as this would give it more support in UK and Ireland and maybe help to get things like MHEG5 (which is part of the Saorview and T2 spec) working on it as the T2 will work on both Saorview and Freeview-HD - Here's hoping someday soon!