PDA

View Full Version : Vu Duo ViX 2.3 (Linux 3.1.1) 25-12-2011 Not booting

ojsat
25-12-11, 16:38
Just tried to do a new firmware upgrade for Vu Duo ViX 2.3 (Linux 3.1.1) 25-12-2011. Upgraded successfully but my Duo won't start. it just stays at starting ...... Can anybody help?

Lewiscc
25-12-11, 17:14
Just tried to do a new firmware upgrade for Vu Duo ViX 2.3 (Linux 3.1.1) 25-12-2011. Upgraded successfully but my Duo won't start. it just stays at starting ...... Can anybody help?

exact same here ..... just stays on 'STARTING' forever :eek: ..... and no ... it wasn't an online update .... it was a proper reflash :rolleyes:

punisher
25-12-11, 17:17

Did you do a reflash?

punisher
25-12-11, 17:17
exact same here ..... just stays on 'STARTING' forever :eek: ..... and no ... it wasn't an online update .... it was a proper reflash :rolleyes:

You might need to update the bootloader again and then flash image

Larry-G
25-12-11, 17:18
even if you already have the new bootloader on the box re-flash the bootloader first via usb stick then power the box down and flash the image via usb stick.

Prioryman
25-12-11, 17:39
How do I do this reflash boot loader - My VU+ is not starting like the others - Great Christmas day!!

Larry-G
25-12-11, 17:41
your Vu will restart if you flash it as for the bootloader it's exactly the same procedure as flashing a image from a usb stick.

Prioryman
25-12-11, 17:42
Well, it's NOT working have tried 2 USB sticks - My I'm a bit pi**ed off.

Lewiscc
25-12-11, 17:51
You might need to update the bootloader again and then flash image

ok .... thanks ... put it back as was to get it back on ..... will try later when i get peace .... if i get peace :rolleyes: ............... and a merry christmas to all :D

Prioryman
25-12-11, 18:02
Well tired a third USB stick - it reads and asks me to remove USb stick - I do this and it remains in "Starting" - Can anyone advise please !!!!!!!!!!!!

punisher
25-12-11, 18:09
So uve reflashed bootloader whih only takes less than a minute and then switch box off pop usb stick in power box on see the display say reading/flashing/programming/removeusb and remove and then reboot?

Prioryman
25-12-11, 18:26
Thanks for reply - I have cooled down now. I'm not sure how to: reflashed bootloader???? - how do I do this ??

I have download newest image, but it still is locked in "starting"

Thank you for the help

Larry-G
25-12-11, 18:49
you can get the bootloader here.

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?13173-ViX-Team-Vu-Duo-Image-v2-3-19-10-2011

flash it the same way you would a image via usb

Prioryman
25-12-11, 18:52
Thank you will try now. I take it this is the file: ViX-2.3.GM-vuduo_usb.zip‎ ?

Will let you know - family are going mad!!!! - my fault should not have done on line update!

Thanks again.

Larry-G
25-12-11, 18:54
the bootloader is this file

duo_cfe_3_0_usb.zip

geeuk
25-12-11, 18:57
i just done that and it said remove usb and still it's stuck at starting....

Prioryman
25-12-11, 19:00
the bootloader is this file

duo_cfe_3_0_usb.zip

Ok done that now reflashing new image - fingers crossed. :eek:

geeuk
25-12-11, 19:04
Just reflashed the new image via USB it's all loading now :)

Good Luck and Merry Christmas All :)

Prioryman
25-12-11, 19:06
you can get the bootloader here.

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?13173-ViX-Team-Vu-Duo-Image-v2-3-19-10-2011

flash it the same way you would a image via usb

If you lived close enough I would kiss you....... It's working again, just need to sort out my settings.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

bassethound
25-12-11, 19:08
Glad you got sorted Prioryman enjoy your Christmas evenings viewing:zoom:

Rob van der Does
25-12-11, 19:25
It's working again, just need to sort out my settings.
You can restore your settings via the BackUpManager.

Larry-G
25-12-11, 19:33
If you lived close enough I would kiss you....... It's working again, just need to sort out my settings.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

no worries mate, and i fully understand how frustrating it can be when things dont work, but hey thats why were here.

ojsat
25-12-11, 19:39
Mine now working too, thanks for the info, much appreciated. Wishing everyone a merry xmas.

ringo
25-12-11, 19:52
I got problems when I installed the latest Vix 2.3 dated 25/12.
Skin Kerni HD1 gave me some errors (have always used that skin), MgCamd also did and the latest Dreambox Editor really crashed everything.
I reflashed using the "original" VIX2.3GM and all is normal again.
Will get back with some crash logs.

geeuk
25-12-11, 19:59
How do you access to your recorded content with this new image?

Larry-G
25-12-11, 20:00
press the list button, its between audio and menu.

Stanman
25-12-11, 20:01
Same way as last time. Press the filelist button next to Menu.

geeuk
25-12-11, 20:04
NOOO WAY!! I was accessing recorded stuff using the media player! I didn't even know there was a button for this! I love this box!! It reminds me the dbox 2 times :)

Stanman
25-12-11, 20:10
Dont use media player that is the best way of playing stuff. Also if you have other boxes and NAS, than mount them and use the yellow when in player to navigate to that location.

I prefer it as its far better control wise than media player.

Larry-G
25-12-11, 20:11
NOOO WAY!! I was accessing recorded stuff using the media player! I didn't even know there was a button for this! I love this box!! It reminds me the dbox 2 times :)

yeah most people dont even know vix has its own purpose made media player. the one you were using is the default e2 version.

Rob van der Does
25-12-11, 20:23
We deleted the Mediaplayer to prevent you from (accidentally) using it.

GiP
26-12-11, 00:34
Hi,

OK, first of all I, did the update. My nephew is here and has been glued to my PC playing Crysis 2 for the whole day so I didn't check here before. After being stuck and reading why, I downloaded the thing and reflashed but with the same result: stuck at "Starting". I read some more redownloaded the bootloder (and Vix), reinstalled both. Same result (did it twice...). So I got Vix2.3-133 and finally I got my STB working again.
Now I don't know what to do...
Is there something strange with my Duo?

Should I try again? Or wait for some updated version?

G

Foxylady
26-12-11, 01:34
What i did early this morning was did update online as i knew nothing about the new image or thread, i just noticed flashing update icon.
Mine stuck on starting like others after i did update, well actually it said offline update .............
I then downloaded new image.
No need to reflash bootloader as i did not.
Simply i put new image on pendrive i.e same one i always use, put it in the front usb port and flashed.
Box working and no problems.

Thank you

Lewiscc
26-12-11, 02:31
even if you already have the new bootloader on the box re-flash the bootloader first via usb stick then power the box down and flash the image via usb stick.

i did have the new bootloader .... and i did have to reflash the bootloader before the reflash ..... all working 100% now :thumbsup:

Stanman
26-12-11, 12:51
You WILL need to flash the bootloader for it to work with the new kernel, there is ni way round this.

Fist flash the bootloader and than the image and everything should be fine. If for some reason it does not boot up after the image flash, power off for 1 - 2 minutes after image flash and it should boot up fine.

GiP
26-12-11, 13:23
You WILL need to flash the bootloader for it to work with the new kernel, there is ni way round this..
You mean even if I alredy have 2.3 on?
And what was te procedure again? Can't find it. I remember the USB had to be empty with only the file on it , or was it the vuplus dir with the file?
G

Larry-G
26-12-11, 13:40
You mean even if I alredy have 2.3 on?
And what was te procedure again? Can't find it. I remember the USB had to be empty with only the file on it , or was it the vuplus dir with the file?
G

yes to load the newest image with the linux 3.1.1 kernel even though it is still technically of the ViX 2.3 image branch, you will need to re-flash both the new bootloader then the new image.

to flash both you first need to format a USB stick to FAT32 from your pc / laptop and then decompress the archive containing the bootloader until you see the folder called vuplus. copy this folder and it's contents to the USB stick and place it in the receiver while it is powered down from the button on the back of the receiver. now reboot and you will see the message on the VFD of the box telling you it is reading and flashing etc. once done it will tell you to reboot and remove the stick, at this point power down again and remove the bootloader's folders from the stick and do the same for the image.

should take about 6 or 7 minutes from start to Finnish and the bootloader should load in just a few seconds.

make sure you use the backup manager first to backup your settings however you will have to re-install any plugins you use manually.

Foxylady
26-12-11, 14:10
To save confusion i did originally on the new v2.3 image put the bootloader in, whati meant to say was once you have done that, you do not need to reflash with the new bootloader in order to use the newer 2.3 image.
I have just helped family member with there duo online and now there's is all up and running, but they also had already done the same proceedure when new 2.3 came out.
I like it now in "green-sats" the long list as now gone as it was annoying when i couldn't get them.
Now it only shows the sats you scan.
Excellent work guys :thumbsup:

Larry-G
26-12-11, 14:21
To save confusion i did originally on the new v2.3 image put the bootloader in, whati meant to say was once you have done that, you do not need to reflash with the new bootloader in order to use the newer 2.3 image.
I have just helped family member with there duo online and now there's is all up and running, but they also had already done the same proceedure when new 2.3 came out.
I like it now in "green-sats" the long list as now gone as it was annoying when i couldn't get them.
Now it only shows the sats you scan.
Excellent work guys :thumbsup:

well i tend to recommend that step for both users who have already flashed the bootloader and those who have not, i'm not sure why but some boxes find it easier to accept the kernel upgrade when a fresh bootloader is flashed. Although why the bootload is needed at all escapes me as it only allows for images over 64MB in size to be flashed to the box and even with the new kernel ViX is well under this threshold.

paul362
26-12-11, 15:22
Flashed the new 25/12/ image onto mine without re'doing the bootloader and everything went fine for me, when i get the stuck on starting problem I just remove the rear USB devices and reboot then i have no issues once rebooted just re'plug all your USB devices from then on it will reboot as per normal without issues.

canthackit
27-12-11, 15:32
yeah me too.

needed to do a reinstall didn't load the boot file this time, and the install went smoothly.

regards: canthackit

vu-duo-user
27-12-11, 15:54
I must have been lucky with the new image that I flashed over 2.3 with the new boot loader as everything went smoothly.

punisher
27-12-11, 16:02
For some it went smoothly, others abit of a struggle but i think most people are there now

gordyboy
27-12-11, 17:29
just updated the box to new image everything ok except one thing When i am in the menu the settings are off my screen slightly yet i have the same settings as before any ideas?

thanks

punisher
27-12-11, 17:40
You'll have to setup the OSD again. Menu/setup/system/OSD/OSD Setup

gordyboy
27-12-11, 18:11
thanks mate thats fixed it

punisher
27-12-11, 18:15
glad ur all sorted mate :D