PDA

View Full Version : Power to LNB on always possible?

mistermisfit
22-12-11, 23:25
Is it possible to have the power to the lnb always on with vix 2.3 vu+ duo?

I have an amplifier and splitter inline for dtt which needs constant voltage. Is this possible?

Alias1
23-12-11, 10:34

I have an amplifier and splitter inline for dtt which needs constant voltage. Is this possible?

Simple man dont turn of the box or stick it in standbye

mistermisfit
23-12-11, 23:06
If only it were that simple.
The problem is the box doesnt keep power to the LNB at all times while switched on, I have a usb dtt tuner connected and when I switch to that the power to the LNB is cut (unless there is something from satellite recording in the background)

My dtt feed requires the LNB power be on at all times. My humax foxsat box always kept power to the LNB, looks like the vu+ duo doesnt.

Alias1
23-12-11, 23:33
Dumb question but why does the dtt tuner require power to the LNB's

mistermisfit
23-12-11, 23:43
Dumb question but why does the dtt tuner require power to the LNB's

My dtt signal requires a masthead preamp up near the antenna on the roof. It is the masthead amp that is being powered by one of the lnb cables, my dtt also comes down the same cable as the satellite signal. No power to the masthead amp = no dtt signal.

This was never a problem with my humax freesat box.

Sorry, it is not easy to explain.

I'll just have to run a third cable down to my living room it seems.

Alias1
24-12-11, 06:14
I gatheryou have thought of 2 diplexers???

TK4|2|1
24-12-11, 08:41
Does the aerial supply more than 1 room in your house? If so you could put a masthead psu on the feed to the other room.

Sent from my iPhone using My fingers to push buttons.

Rob van der Does
24-12-11, 08:54
It is possible.
I have not forgotten your question; I only recently read about changing a file to achieve exactly that. Point is: I can't find it any more. But I keep it in mind with every search I do.
So especially if the alternative would be to run an extra cable I would say: wait a couple of days; I might just be able to find the answer.

mistermisfit
24-12-11, 21:58
I have a masthead PSU connected for the timebeing. I luckily already had a third cable ran down from the roof. A solution to the lnb power problem would still be nice though :)

I could do with using that third cable for something else.

Rob van der Does
26-12-11, 13:22
Sorry it took me so long, but I finally found it.

1- Open the file /etc/modutils/_vuplus with a suitable editor (e.g. PSPad, set to UNIX) and add the following lines at the end:

tpm
modloader
modloader2
dvb lnb_power_off_in_standby=1

2- Type in the console (telnet)

update-modules

3- Reboot the box.

Be aware: I didn't test this myself. Make a backup of the file before changing anything
Good luck, and keep us posted.

andyblac
26-12-11, 17:42
and for et ?

amspa
19-09-14, 21:37
Sorry it took me so long, but I finally found it.

1- Open the file /etc/modutils/_vuplus with a suitable editor (e.g. PSPad, set to UNIX) and add the following lines at the end:

tpm
modloader
modloader2
dvb lnb_power_off_in_standby=1

2- Type in the console (telnet)

update-modules

3- Reboot the box.

Be aware: I didn't test this myself. Make a backup of the file before changing anything
Good luck, and keep us posted.

I need exactly the same thing as this for my setup with a Miraclebox Mini box.

The original post here is several years old, is this possible on current images?

Also, this answer was for a Vu+ box, is this possible on a Miraclebox Mini too?

Rob van der Does
20-09-14, 05:17
Different hardware has different options and default situations.
I would first check if power is cut off indeed.
Only when needed I would try a trick like above. Just backup your system,. change the file and see if it helps.
There's nothing to loose!

amspa
20-09-14, 09:12
Thanks for the quick reply!

The folder mentioned (/etc/modutils) doesn't seem to exist on the current image. Have these files been renamed or moved somewhere else in the newer versions?

Thanks

Rob van der Does
20-09-14, 09:15
I'm not sure about that.
But you did test if the actual (default) situation is not already fine for you?

amspa
20-09-14, 10:21
Hi,

Yes, the tuner definitely loses power whenever you switch away from it.

I've had a look at the current image and these files seem to have been moved to new places.

The module option config file (something.conf) now has to go into the /etc/modprobe.d folder.

Once I'd done this though I got the following error in the logs.

>> dvb: unknown parameter 'lnb_power_off_in_standby' ignored

So it seems that the parameter name has changed