PDA

View Full Version : Getting a new receiver, any help?

steve1978
24-07-10, 09:50
Hi all,

i currently have a dreambox 800 clone and a VU plus duo. I am getting rid of the 800 as i am fed up of it and the lack of support for the clones.

In looking for a new box i would like to spend 200 MAX. HD would be prefered and of course box must support cccam, in client mode. (i have a pc server).

I originally thought about getting a vu solo but they are 300, i would just spend the extra and get a duo but that is double my budget.

Then i came across the spiderbox, what are these exactly? non linux sharing boxes?

Finanlly the TM 500 and 800. although the 800 is a bit to many ££ the 500 is priced right and although a non HD it looks simple and easy to live with as a second box.

An important feature for me is the tuner. i have a large tree by my house and with the 800 i get a lot of channels breaking up so it needs to have a good sensitive tuner.

Thanks

pooface
24-07-10, 10:09
Have never used a spiderbox personally, so this is just from what I've heard from other people...

But they act like a linux box in the fact that it can run cccam, but just in client mode as you desire. It can also connect to newcs servers as well... They aren't customisable from what I've read, like what the linux boxes are. Also, the tuners are meant to be quite good, but again, just from what I've read, so cannot compare personally.

The tm boxes are cheaper, but lack support that a lot of boxes get... So if I were you, bang for buck, would probably get the spiderbox. Hopefully some members who have one will be able to respond for you to settle your mind :)

Stanman
24-07-10, 19:08
I would avoid the TM500, if you have a LCD TV. I bought the TM600 for a friend and on a LCD TV, the picture is very poor, tought on cathode its ok.

Sicilian
25-07-10, 18:53
Provided it's HD and supports CCcam, do you mind it its linux or not?

steve1978
25-07-10, 20:10
not really, My Vu is my main box. i have a buyer for my BL72 800 so i may buy a BL 75 clone. i just hate dreamboxs with the exception of the old 500 clone, very simple, easy to use... shame pic quality is quite poor.

bassethound
26-07-10, 15:04
Avoid the TM800 rubbish support!!!!!

Sicilian
26-07-10, 15:11
Avoid the TM800 rubbish support!!!!!

Funny enough it has started getting better, although still not totally finished. In all honesty if someone just wants to watch TV on it its ok, if you want to tinker with it like you do a VU+ or Dreambox forget it.

bassethound
28-07-10, 10:50
Funny enough it has started getting better, although still not totally finished. In all honesty if someone just wants to watch TV on it its ok, if you want to tinker with it like you do a VU+ or Dreambox forget it.

Mine still goes out of sync all the time and it has never shown the correct time since i have had it just these simple things that annoy all the time.

basilyoung
28-07-10, 11:08
as far as the TM800 goes, its a very new unit, but its route so far, is simular to that of the 9100/9101 series,

another forum I frequent, spent a lot of time, on the development of the 9100 series, and currently, are working on the TM800
as are other groups,
I hav,nt got the TM800 myself, but, knowing that there are various groups that are working, to get this unit up to speed, I have every confidence that this unit will be a good one

baz