PDA

View Full Version : Best box to upgrade to

Markymark
20-12-11, 23:49
Hi,

Newbie here, however thinking of making the plunge into Linux based boxes as I like the sound of what can be done with them and the fact they are being constantly developed.

Not sure on what the difference between the vu+UNO and solo are? Then think should I go duo as the twin tuners would be a nice addition when it comes to recording. That said can these boxes easily record and does anything exist that can do series like like sky offer?

Then do these Linux boxes work well with motorised systems - as that's what I now have?

Can I stream anything from these boxes to my pc so that I can watch tv on the computer? Also do they support BISS keys / cc cam etc?

Finally should I buy one with a standard setup of or go for the vix image? What is the main difference?

Hope you can help me and sorry if these are really simple questions.

jaylar
21-12-11, 00:09
Hi mate I just recently took the plunge my self from a tm500 I upgraded to a et9000 which is a real good box and am loving the vix software . Was going to get a vu duo but after a lot of reading decided that
et9000 had the edge over the duo which ever you go for you will be well supported here there all a good bunch

obo110x
21-12-11, 00:16
As a newbie myself to this forum several months ago I would say:
1/ Go for the duo if you can afford it
2/ No problem with motorised systems
3/ Yes you can stream through Vu+ web control and they do support such cams (Please read the forum rules about talking about these though)
4/ Go with one with the Vix image, it's a very good GUI which will make things easier for you as the Vu manual will not make much sense after it is installed

Larry-G
21-12-11, 00:31
Not sure on what the difference between the vu+UNO and solo are?

The Uno is a newer box and more powerful, it also has a removable tuner card so you can use either a DVB-S ( satellite ) DVB-C ( cable ) or DVB-T ( terrestrial ) tuner in the box, it also has hardware based blindscan which the solo does not have.

That said can these boxes easily record and does anything exist that can do series like like sky offer?

yes you can set timers although it's not as strait forward as with a sky box but it does the same job and once you know what your doing it's easy enough.

Can I stream anything from these boxes to my pc so that I can watch tv on the computer? Also do they support BISS keys / cc cam etc?

yes to all of the above

Then do these Linux boxes work well with motorized systems - as that's what I now have?

yes they work very well with motorized setups in fact most of us here have motorized setups of some decryption

Finally should I buy one with a standard setup of or go for the vix image? What is the main difference?

you can aks your supplier, i would recommend the sponsor
world-of-satellite.co.uk to flash the box for you to get things going initially, then change or try other images when your confident enough.

Hope you can help me and sorry if these are really simple questions.

dont worry about it we all had to start somewhere and if you need help just ask for it.

Markymark
21-12-11, 00:38
Wow thanks for all that feedback, so quickly.

Are these boxes quite sensitive on weak signals?

Also on the streaming front does it mean that on the UNO you can only stream what is on the tv at the time, where as twin tuner will just send out a separate feed.

Finally question. I know this is running before walking. Is flashing images easy to do? Can you add modules / plug ins via the on screen menu or is it all done the USB way?

Larry-G
21-12-11, 00:43
i cant speak for the ET series boxes as i dont have one but i do have a Duo and a Uno and both are fine with weak signals for me. as for streaming as i understand it if your currently watching the Tv you can stream what is playing on the current channel or any thing on the same transponder / polarity. or if your not watching the Tv you can change the channel via the web interface and stream what ever you like

with a Duo you can stream or record upto 6 or more channels at the same time as long as there on the same transponder as one or both of the tuners.

flashing the images is the easiest bit, it's all done by USB stick and we have a server as do most teams where you can get most plugins with the exception of softcams but there easy enough to get hold of.

Markymark
21-12-11, 00:50
So the difference between the UNO and Duo is basically the tuners? The software part that we can flash on the box and why it can do are the same?

silverfox0786
21-12-11, 00:52
the DUO and UNO are very different boxes altogether

yes VIX is same for all boxes but due to differences you will find speed differences

care of World-of-Satellite.co.uk
DUO

Specifications:

•Open-source Linux operating system (Enigma2)
•Broadcom Mips processor m
•Twin DVB-S2 Tuner
•MPEG2 / H.264 Hardware decoding (DVB compliant)
•16 digit alphanumeric VFD Display
•2 x Common Interface slots
•2 x smartcard reader (Conax Embedded)
•10/100 Mbps Ethernet interface
•3 x USB2.0 (1xFront/2xBack)
•1 x internal SATA connection for HDD (not included)
•1 x E-SATA
•1 x V.24/RS232
•HDMI Interface
•2 x Scart
•1 x YPrPb
•1 x optical S / PDIF for digital audio transmission
•Channel change <1 seconds
•EPG (electronic program guide)
•Plugin support (JPEG, MP3, XviD ...)
•Support of Bouquet lists
•Multi language OSD, Skin - Support
•Fully automatic, Manual Channel Search
•Videotext Teletext
•DiSEqC 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2 including USALS
Video:

•Video resolution (720 x 576 lines), 576p, 720p, 1080i
•Video decoding MPEG-2, MPEG-4 compatible
•Input data rate 2-45 MSymb / s
•S/N> 53 dB
Audio:

•Decoding AC 3, MPEG-4 (AAC-HE), MPEG-1, Layer 1, 2 and 3
•32/44.1/48 kHz sampling rate
•S/N > 65 dB
Power consumption:

•<25W (in operation, horizontal /) 400mA LNB current
•<20W (in operation, without LNB)
•<1W (Deep-Standby-Mode)
•100-240 Volts 50-60 Hz

UNO

Features:

• HD/SD H.264/AVC Main and High Profile to Level 4.1 (HD),Level 3.1 (SD)
• HD/SD AVS Jizhun Profile Levels 2.0, 4.0, and 6.0 (720p and 1080i for HDTV)
• VC-1 Advanced Profile @ Level 3, Simple and Main Profile
• HD/SD MPEG-2 Main Profile at Main and High levels
• MPEG still image decode
• SD MPEG-4 P2 SP/ASP
• HD DivX 3.11/4.11/5.x/6x/Home Theater
• Advanced audio processor supporting the following:
• AAC LC, AAC LC+SBR Level 2, AAC+ Level 2, AAC-HE
• Dolby® Digital, Dolby Digital Plus
• MPEG I layers 1, 2, and 3 (MP3)
• Windows Media®and Windows Media Pro audio
• One pair of on-chip stereo high-fidelity audio DACs
• 3D SRS audio support
• One I2S input port and one I2S output port, plus S/PDIF output
• High-performance 2D-effects graphic engine
• Studio-quality text and graphics at HD resolution
• Supports multiple layers and windows
• Digital noise and contour reduction (DNR/DCR)
• Reduces artifacts such as block/mosquito noise
• Picture-in-picture
• Supports simultaneous HD+SD display
• Mosaic Mode
• Supports up to 16 video decode/display for video-rich navigation
• Motion-adaptive deinterlacer with reverse 3:2/2:2 pulldown
• OpenCable™ ready with on-chip MPOD support
• 400-MHz Dual-Core CMT MIPS32®/16e class processor
• 64-bit DDR2 DRAM controller
• Dual SATA-2 interfaces for DVR and DVD applications
• HD analog video encoder with simultaneous SD outputs
• NTSC-M/J, PAL-BDGHIN/M/Nc, SECAM analog outputs
• 480i/480p/576i/576p/720p/1080i output formats
• Component RGB/YPrPb HD/HD-DVO outputs
• Macrovision® 7.1/NICAM support
• SCART 1 and 2
• Component, S-Video, and composite via six on-chip V-DACs
• VBI encoders for CC/TTX with NABTS/CGMSA/WSS/ Gemstar®, AMOL I/II standards and dedicated TTX sideband
• RF modulator with BTSC encoder
• ITU-R-656 input and output ports
• HDMI 1.3/DVI 1.0 Mac and PHY with HDCP 1.1
• Broadcom security processor
• AES/1DES/3DES/CSS/CPRM/DTCP copy protection
• MPEG-2/DIRECTV/DVB/ARIB data transport demux with 1DES/3DES/DVB/Multi2/AES descramblers
• V.92-capable soft modem with integrated SiLab Si305x system side device
• Dual USB 2.0 host controller with host transceiver
• Additional host/client USB 2.0 controller/transceiver
• Dual Ethernet MACs with integrated single PHY and MII
• UHF remote control receiver
• Dual SmartCard support

CPU Specification: -

Multiformat HD Digital Video/Audio SoC with DVR and 3D Graphics
The BCM7413 is a multi-format IPTV SoC that is optimized to support SD and ED output resolutions, HDMIv.1.3/HDCP1.2 (up to 480p/576p) and video DAC support for S-video and composite video. It also supports dual-SD decode with picture-in-picture (PIP) output.

Integrated in 65 nm technology, the BCM7413 offers one of the highest levels of single-chip system performance available for STB applications. The BCM7413 combines a fast MIPS CPU, high-speed 2D and 3D graphics processing, including video scaling and motion adaptive deinterlacing, a very flexible data transport processor, an HD multi-format digital video decoder, a programmable audio decoder, six video DACs, stereo high-fidelity audio DACs, dual Fast Ethernet ports, triple USB 2.0, a PCI 2.3, a high-speed DDR2 800-MHz memory controller, and a peripheral control unit that provides a variety of set-top box control functions.

Larry-G
21-12-11, 00:54
The Uno is far newer than the Duo and as such the Uno has more flash memory and ram, and yes newer interchangeable tuners that are capable of blindscan, all together the Uno is a very different box to the Duo. as for the images there box specific but with regards to the ViX images there pretty much universal in operation across all the receivers we cover meaning the layout and general functions are the same etc.

if you want a dual tuner box with the latest features and best hardware have you considered one of the ET receivers such as the ET9200 ?

Markymark
21-12-11, 06:48
That looks smart. Will that do all what I was asking initially? It doesn't mention MPEG4 - is it capable of that?

This may be a stupid question, but are the vix images massively different from the clark tec ones? I'd there an online manual / tutorials to use the vix images? If I wanted to in the fixture could I flash the box back from the vix image to the Clark tec on, let's say? I know this was always difficult when flashing android phones, going back to the original.

Larry-G
21-12-11, 07:07
You can flash between images at any time you want with no problems providing that the images are of the same Linux kernel version, as you can't go to lower kernels without risking bad things happening

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Markymark
21-12-11, 07:21
The other reciecer I've seen is this one.
http://www.icecrypt.com/products/satellite-receivers/s3500hdcci.html

Now I can't find anything on vix images or info on it via WoS. It does say its Linux based. Is it any good?

Sicilian
21-12-11, 07:25
The other reciecer I've seen is this one.
http://www.icecrypt.com/products/satellite-receivers/s3500hdcci.html

Now I can't find anything on vix images or info on it via WoS. It does say its Linux based. Is it any good?

These run an embedded closed source linux OS. Their operating systems wont be anywhere as customizable as the VU+ or Xtrend receivers running ViX ;) Stick with VU+ or Xtrend running true opensoure Linux Enigma 2 OS.

Larry-G
21-12-11, 07:27
The icecrypt boxes are off the top of my head closed source meaning no team images only factory images.

To be honest its been a very long time since I looked towards one of those boxes so I know very little about them. I do however know and can recomend the Vu boxes.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Rob van der Does
21-12-11, 07:37
And as you didn't tell us the amount of money you are willing to spend, I can also recommend you the VU+ Ultimo.

And regarding your question about the differences between images: there are indeed massive differences between most images and ViX. Best way is to start with a preloaded image (for which I suggest ViX, but up to you), take some time to get comfortable with it, and then try one or more other images to see what suits you best.

Markymark
21-12-11, 09:57
I'm thinking £250 region really. Maybe that is something that I could contribute to the community when I get up and running with all this. Im sure that a manual would help drive more people into the OS digital box world.

Rob van der Does
21-12-11, 10:36
The Uno is a newer box and more powerful, it also has a removable tuner card so you can use either a DVB-S ( satellite ) DVB-C ( cable ) or DVB-T ( terrestrial ) tuner in the box...
Allow me a small correction: there are no separate DVB-T and DVB-C tuners; there's only an hybrid DVB-C/T tuner available for the UNO (the same as for the Ultimo).

Sicilian
21-12-11, 10:49
For a £250 budget I'd look at the following: -

Xtrend ET5000 (http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Digital-Satellite-Receivers/Xtrend-Linux-HD-Receivers/Xtrend-ET5000-Single-Tuner-DVB-S2-HD-Enigma2-Linux-Satellite-Receiver)
Xtrend ET6000 (http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Digital-Satellite-Receivers/Xtrend-Linux-HD-Receivers/Xtrend-ET6000-Single-Tuner-DVB-S2-HD-1080p-Enigma2-Linux-Satellite-Receiver-PVR)
VU+ Solo (http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Digital-Satellite-Receivers/Vu/Vu-SOLO-Single-Tuner-HD-PVR-DVB-S2-Satellite-Receiver)
VU+ Uno (http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Digital-Satellite-Receivers/Vu/VU-Uno-Single-Tuner-HD-DVB-S2-Linux-Enigma-2-Satellite-Receiver)

Markymark
21-12-11, 18:44
Right I think I've mad emy decision and will go with the UNO.

Sorry for these silly noob questions, however from doing loads of reading around I come over certain terms etc. Just want to get an understanding of it all (like to have some knowledge to play with when I get my box).

Are Picons basically the channel logos? Do you just put these on a USB pen and FTP them over to the box? I'm assuming there are Picons for most tv channels on each of the sats?

Is the media server part all standard as part of the VIX image? I'm assuming I can use this to access tv from my box remotely on my PS3? I know that accepts media servers.

Is a bouquet a list of tv channels on each sat? I've seen this mentioned - however not got my head around this much at all. Can I just go somewhere to download these to keep the box up to date?

I know I mentioned something like series link - however from reading a round I haven't found a plug in that does it. Is this because it's a standard feature of the VIX image? On PVR - can I install a drive internally in the box myself or do they have to be internal?

Is there some facility in the VIX image or mods that would allow BISS keys to be entered?

Finally cccam. Ive seen the links to install this and think I have an understanding of what I have to copy over and where. Is it really that simple to install? I'm assuming I customise the cccam.cfg file to tell it what to do? Does cc cam also enable the built in card reader to read cards of many different encryption methods - without the need to buy cams?

Sorry for all the questions, however hopefully it does show I have been reading around and trying to learn. Don't want to just be a leach who saps information with no knowledge of where its going.

Larry-G
21-12-11, 19:01
Are Picons basically the channel logos? Do you just put these on a USB pen and FTP them over to the box? I'm assuming there are Picons for most tv channels on each of the sats?

Yes pretty much, although there is no need to transfer them from a USB pen to the Box as it is actually recommended they stay on the USB otherwise every time you change a channel the box will look for them and if there on a HDD that HDD will have to spin up every single time the channel is changes. also most picon sets are updated very frequently.

Is the media server part all standard as part of the VIX image? I'm assuming I can use this to access tv from my box remotely on my PS3? I know that accepts media servers.

Ok you have to remember that these boxes and i mean all enigma based receivers here, are primarily satellite receivers, any media player functions should be considered as a total bonus. That said you can stream live shows or recorded content from the box to a networked PC or nas drive etc, as for the PS3 i'm not sure the PS3 can read the .TS files the box produces when programs are recorded from the box, it will however play any avi file etc you have stored on the box as this is what i do with my XBOX360.

Is a bouquet a list of tv channels on each sat? I've seen this mentioned - however not got my head around this much at all. Can I just go somewhere to download these to keep the box up to date?

yes a bouquet is pretty much a channel list that has been made using a editor such as DBE - DreamboxEdit. there are literally hundreds hosted on this site in the bouquet section and most are updated very frequently.

Is there some facility in the VIX image or mods that would allow BISS keys to be entered?

well that is a subject we can not really get into due to it's legal ramifications but you can use softcams etc as on any linux based satellite receiver.

Finally cccam. Ive seen the links to install this and think I have an understanding of what I have to copy over and where. Is it really that simple to install? I'm assuming I customise the cccam.cfg file to tell it what to do? Does cc cam also enable the built in card reader to read cards of many different encryption methods - without the need to buy cams?

The softcam it self is very easy to install yes, you then have to configure it to your needs, now we will help you setup any card you own to use on a softcam but we can not and will not get into areas such as cardsharing for legal reasons.

Sorry for all the questions, however hopefully it does show I have been reading around and trying to learn. Don't want to just be a leach who saps information with no knowledge of where its going.

There is nothing at all wrong with asking questions, this is after all how we learn.

Markymark
21-12-11, 19:42
Thanks for that. So basically download Picons on to the USB drive, mount it and job is done. Just remember to update it every so often. Or has the sat world got some auto update of this feature?

So cccam can make the box read my Via Access cards and Connax cards, without the need of actually buying individual cams? I appreciate the fact that you said the community would help provide the info to set this up, just like I appreciate all the help I have had. Its an excellent community and very welcoming and knowledgable.

punisher
21-12-11, 19:51
theres a few tutorials in my signature below that will help you out on a few of your questions as it shows you exactly what you need to do :D

Stanman
The Picons are updated regulary but you may have to amend channel references for some of them as they may not match exactly the one in your bouquet.

Sorry not read the rest of your thread as its 2 pages long but you can get pre populated bouquets for all the major sats. The best one for Sky is Silverfoxes who is a mod on here and link in my signature. There are also others in the picon and settings sub forums.

IIRC your cards will work fine but you will need a software cam such as Cccam or Oscam.

Larry-G
Thanks for that. So basically download Picons on to the USB drive, mount it and job is done. Just remember to update it every so often. Or has the sat world got some auto update of this feature?

Yes thats pretty much it, there are no auto updaters though but it's a very easy and quick job to do.

So cccam can make the box read my Via Access cards and Connax cards, without the need of actually buying individual cams? I appreciate the fact that you said the community would help provide the info to set this up, just like I appreciate all the help I have had. Its an excellent community and very welcoming and knowledgable.

Well CCcam is just one of considerable list of softcam emulators available, some work better than others and some support cards that others do not. i cant really go into too much detail as to be honest it's not really my area, i'm a old fashioned hardware CAM module bloke my self, but we have plenty of members who can and will help where possible as long as the questions stay within the scope of the site rules.

Most importantly don't forget to have fun with what ever receiver you get. this is after all a hobby for most of us and there is no point getting your blood pressure up when things go wrong as they no doubt will LOL.

Markymark
21-12-11, 20:06
Lol I know it sounds such good fun and I can tell that playing with the box is all part of the excitement. I love some of the you tube videos knocking about - those osd look amazing and with Picons etc.

Are there any videos / tutorials knocking about for setting up VIX for the first time? Just so I know what to press to get the motor working and finding some channels on the different sats.

Stanman
21-12-11, 20:13
Afraid no video tutorial but it really is pretty straight forward to flash and set up the box. If you buy the DUO (Don't forget to check the sponsor out and the forum discount) you stick your USB in and switch off and on and the box does the rest.

As for the motor, thats all easy peasy, upto 2 weeks ago I had no motor experience and still don't but I got the motor set up on a ET%K running vix image in under 5 minutes.

You are doing the right thing and prep leads to perfect performance but some times you got to just do it.;)