PDA

View Full Version : Online explicit music gets parental advisory warning

bassethound
20-12-11, 18:41
Any explicit content in music and video downloads will come with a parental advisory warning from today (December 20), after the music industry responded to concerns from parents.

The Parental Advisory Logo, which has been placed on physical CDs and videos since 1995, will now be extended to online music and video files sold on stores such as iTunes, Amazon and HMV.

Operated by the British Phonographic Industry (BPI), the scheme will flag up any content or material that could be deemed offensive or unsuitable for children, including strong language, sex or violence.

More stores are expected to run the warning in the New Year, clearly displaying the logo, or the word 'Explicit' alongside any music or video files that contain explicit content.

The campaign is backed by singer and mother-of-two Jamelia, who believes that it is vital to protect children while they are using the internet.

"As a parent, naturally I worry about whether my kids are viewing and listening to appropriate content when they're online, but without some form of guidance it can be almost impossible to stay on top of what's suitable and what's not," she said.

"I think parents would agree that having the same logo for online music services that we're used to seeing in the high street gives parents the ability to quickly and easily judge whether a song or music video is right for their child."

BPI chief executive Geoff Taylor added: "We know that the parental advisory logo on CDs and DVDs has been a useful tool for parents, offering them a simple means of identifying music content that may not be suitable for their children.

"We believe that parents need the same guidance when their children are downloading or streaming songs or videos online, so we have extended the logo to digital music services."