PDA

View Full Version : Possible to have timeshift and EPG & Picons on single USB stick??

mcquaim
20-12-11, 01:14
Hi folks,

Is it possible to set up Vix 2.3 to have the EPG & picons on a USB and also have the timeshift running from there also?

I have the timeshift location set to be on the USB but when it attempts to kick in then it says the format must be EXT2 or EXT3. If the format has to be this how can I format my USB stick as EXT2 or EXT3 and if it is this then can I have the EPG data and the picons saved on it also then?

Thanks,
mcquaim

Larry-G
20-12-11, 01:31
yes have picons and EPG on a usb stick but i would not have timeshift on a usb stick due to it's slower read and write speeds compared to a dedicated HDD.

mcquaim
20-12-11, 01:35
Cheers!

I have the picons and EPG working fine but as a temporary measure until the brother can afford an internal HDD I was wondering if this was possible.. By the sounds of it this idea prob wouldn't work anyway!!

Cheers,
mcquaim

Alanp
20-12-11, 09:48
Cheers!

I have the picons and EPG working fine but as a temporary measure until the brother can afford an internal HDD I was wondering if this was possible.. By the sounds of it this idea prob wouldn't work anyway!!

Cheers,
mcquaim

I think Punisher got timeshift to work using a fast usb drive

punisher
20-12-11, 10:04
hmm i did have timeshift on usb, it is possible but depending on the type of stick you have you could end up with a few problems where it doesnt buffer it properly due to read/write speeds. just try it for yourself and see what you think, its the only way you will find out :D

Rodbouy
20-12-11, 10:35
It should work ok on SD channels as the bitrate is much lower to the lower read write speeds on the usb should be ok, but like said above if you go on to a HD channel it will suffer badly from the slower read write.

I use my usb for picons and epg and HDD for all recording.

Stanman
20-12-11, 20:44
You can format your stick as EXT3 and mount it as a HDD and can than FTP your picons across. Doe recordings it will work fine as I have a 16GB doing this but for timeshift you might encounter problems.

darken9
22-12-11, 00:03
But how do you format the usb stick to Ext2 in Vix 2.3. It used to be done through the mount manager but not any more it seems.

darken9
22-12-11, 00:26
Oh, just figured it out. In mount manager click on "use as HDD" then go into system-harddisk-initialization and initialize the stick. Now back in mount manager its there in Ext3.

pooface
22-12-11, 00:27
I have no problems using USB for timeshift. Add started tho, you need on capable of fast read/write.

A for formatting, you would need to Do it yourself on either a Linux system (a live CD will work fine), or do it through the box and Telnet (I posted a post in the Telnet commands many moons ago, try looking there, if cannot find, willpost tomorrow - when not using my phone :p)

Sent with Tapatalk

silverfox0786
22-12-11, 00:30
actually the recently implimented linux 3.1 has shown signes of issues using TS on anything other than HDD and hence why it is being considered to remove the ability altogether