PDA

View Full Version : Help aligning dish.

Comfysofa
14-12-11, 22:40
Gents - i thought id post here seeing as it looks like the best place. Ill go from the top

1. Had a Vu+ on a my motorised dish (stab motor)
2. VU went else where in the house on to a fixed dish.
3. bought a 2nd hand 800 which would not move the motor...well it did but when it felt like it...2nd time ive had a problem with a dreambox and a stab motor.
4. bought a new motor (dark motor)
5. Fitted the motor and the dish this evening, but i cant get it aligned properly (its dark and cold up there and ive done pretty well to get this far...)
6. Now - the stab motor's general way of setting up was the small pole which the dish actually sits on was facing up whereas the dark motors general way of mounting is with the pole facing down. i think because the way the fplugs are cast onto the motor ie the weather wont get in to the f plugs....
7. im at 51.5n 2.50w - ive follwed the manual which tells me the motor angle should be 39deg and the dish at 27.5....but it looks no where near what it was before - can anyone help??

Comfysofa
14-12-11, 22:43
Oh, the pole is vertical and im pretty sure im dead on (ie just off 1deg west) so ive got 2 of the initial setup requirements in the bag.....thanks to anyone that helps...

Stanman
14-12-11, 22:51
Comfy,
I can only tell you how I set up my motor up and that was to go into tuner settings and set as simple positioner and input my lat and llong from dishpointe.

i than went into satfinder and sent it to 0 and used vhannibals settings to than send it to 1W and manually adjust to lock onto the sat.

Comfysofa
14-12-11, 22:56
thanks but you must have the motor and the dish set to a certain angle....ie the dish can move up and down and so can the motor...

Stanman
14-12-11, 23:00
thanks but you must have the motor and the dish set to a certain angle....ie the dish can move up and down and so can the motor...
No dish can only move left or right as far as I know. The up down I had to do manually so it would lock on 1W and follow the arc.

Comfysofa
14-12-11, 23:06
nope - well, my dish moves up and down - ive locked it off the left/right way as i know its straight on the motor pole...however i think ive found the answer but i cant check til tomorrow as its too dark and freezing cold....

says i have to take 35deg - the declination angle.....so i may have it yet....

Comfysofa
14-12-11, 23:10
saying that i think ive tried that angle....i do have a meter but its pretty crap so ill resort to using the sat meter on the reciever as i can set it up in the loft room and see it as im moving the dish....ill report back tomorrow...

Stanman
14-12-11, 23:11
If your after a decent meter, the sponsor sells several models now.

basilyoung
15-12-11, 00:20
set the motor to your north setting ( usals ) ie, if you are in livepool, the motor would be set to approx 53 degrees ( scale should be on the motor )

set the dish arm si it appears to be dead straight, with the motor body, ( best viewed from under the assembly )
fully tighten the dish to the motor, but leave the motor / pole brackets slightly loose, same goes for the dish elivation bolts

move the whole assembly to so its pointing true south,

connect your unit directly to the lnb ( not the motor ) and set to bbc world .08 west

gently elivate the dish, gently flexing left and right, untill you get a piccy, and then once a strong sig is achieved, ( on a 1 mtr dish you should get 95% +/- 5% in the uk ) evenly tighten up the dish elivation bolts, and motor to pole clamps

then connect the coax cable to the motor, be careful not to short it out..it could damge the tuner
set up your USAL setting then send the dish to 28 east, bbc or other fta channel, if your sigs are in the high 80%/90%, then try 30 west

if sigs are weak on 28,..flex the dish left right, up/down
if left right improves, move the assembly accordingly
if up down, drop the motor setting by a very small amount, and elivate the dish twice the amount or vice versa

Comfysofa
15-12-11, 16:40
Thanks very much for that - im sorted. For me, my motor is sitting at 52deg, and my dish 24.5deg but i spent alot longer trying to align it as when i tried to go on sat to 1w nothing would come up as if the motor was out so as you said i took the second feed off of the lnb and tuned it anyway and it all popped up! - scanning sats at the moment 6566 channels found! - thanks so much for your point in the right direction!!

Comfy

Comfysofa
15-12-11, 16:45
Oh, i must say the dark motor has alot more features than the stab.....buttons on the motor to move it. a hard reset button, and also led's to indicate what it is doing. Its also quieter but does run at the same speed (probably quieter as it is in all fairness brand new.)