PDA

View Full Version : Really stuck choosing a receiver Duo vs ET9200, or ???

tsx
12-12-11, 14:38
Basically I want a twin tuner (connected to a motorised + an old sky dish fixed) which the missus will be able to use whilst also keeping my techie habits fulfilled, i.e. streaming to my laptop and tablet whilst away from home. I had pretty much decided on the Duo, when someone sang the ET9200's praises, and now I'm stuck.

This is how I see it so far (nb. asthetics are not something I care too much about)

Duo:
many different teams working on images! (as long as info is shared this is a perfect scenario)
huge user base so plenty of forum help

ET9200:
More flash memory available for OS.
Newer kernel (currently) and associated extras i.e. drivers etc..
(Is there more teams and people starting to now dev for this?)

Ultimo:
I'm guessing will be to expensive for my tastes?

Anyone got any thoughts that may help swing my choice as I really am in two minds?

thanks

Sicilian
12-12-11, 15:21
You woudn't go wrong with either. Personally I use the ET9200 as my main receiver now, but here you will most likely get strong views from both sets of users.

silverfox0786
12-12-11, 16:06
how about giving me £300 and i will dance infront of yr tv on demand

and each remote press will bring a different dance

joking aside i think you cant go wrong with a ET9200 but then the DUO is starting to get some real promisisng driver updates soon

digi247
12-12-11, 17:31
Forget the 9200 there is still 2 main driver or hardware issues still not resolved since the release of the 9000 and no fix in sight at the moment, My advice get the Duo

silverfox0786
12-12-11, 17:37
Forget the 9200 there is still 2 main driver or hardware issues still not resolved since the release of the 9000 and no fix in sight at the moment, My advice get the Duo

ohhhhh and what might those be as i've not heard of any issues just yet

Larry-G
12-12-11, 18:03
one i presume would be that the second tuner can not tune to sr 30,000 channels. ?

Sicilian
12-12-11, 18:07
Tuner A is not affected by the SR30000 issue, so connect motor dish to that and fixed dish to Tuner B.

Personally I can see this topic ending up in a slag off session for each brand of receiver.

Larry-G
12-12-11, 18:11
Tuner A is not affected by the SR30000 issue, so connect motor dish to that and fixed dish to Tuner B.

i'm in total agreement mate, i dont now nor have i ever considered it any form of a problem.

Sicilian
12-12-11, 18:15
Both have their good and bad points as far as I'm concerned.

tsx
12-12-11, 19:29
Thank you everyone for your posts, I hope this doesn't turn into a fight, I was just wanting objective opinions on which may suit me better.

Unfortunately although you were all kind enough to answer, there still wasn't enough substance to help me make up my mind. Grrrrrr!!

Although..... this was a tempting offer :thumbsup:

how about giving me £300 and i will dance infront of yr tv on demand

and each remote press will bring a different dance

As long as I don't have to wait too long, I may see what the Vu Ultimo brings to the table and see if the 3.1 kernel for the Duo appears soon and adds much benefit, before making a final decision.

t.ph
13-12-11, 21:34
Ultimo:
I'm guessing will be to expensive for my tastes?

Price been released at £579

tsx
13-12-11, 23:14
Price been released at £579

Wow!! thats......hmmmm...expensive. I'm not sure if I could swing that amount past the other half. :(

silverfox0786
14-12-11, 00:05
the other half on my side wont say much but i dont think on a personal note i could justify that sort of price on a satrellite box

dont get me wrong i have payed that sort of money in the past but not anymore

basilyoung
14-12-11, 00:55
well I have both the duo, and 9000, my preference is the 9000, purely due to its appearence, and loop through option
but its a very close run thing, and you cant really go wrong with either unit

tsx
27-12-11, 17:32
Just thought I'd give a quick update...

The sponsor was very helpful and has provided me with the full motorised setup with............ the ET9200. Not sure what really swung it for me, but I went with the xtrend. Now I'm searching the site for needed guides and downloads so as soon and the package arrives I can crack on setting it up without have to look for info etc...

Thanks all, for your input and help.

punisher
27-12-11, 17:39
There plenty of info in the xtrend section with tutorials. Look in my signature below to for a few guides and finally search the forum. Pretty muc every question must have been asked and answered, if not then posta topic and we'll help out

DixieRay
14-06-12, 15:52
i probalby need to replace a dreambox that i had hoped to use and the duo and et's seem nice boxes has the battery problem been fixed with the ets if it was removed the box was dead if thats fixed i might but an et9 bo.x the only other question iread about was the remote control buttons are very small on the ets is this right i might struggle with my fingers on them ?

pooface
14-06-12, 16:06
Dixie ... you have to think to yourself (in regard to the battery), are you going to remove it?! If so, then don't buy the box. But, in the year and bit or so I've had this box, I've never gone to remove the battery... It's worked well for the past year and bit, and never had a problem with it. So, I'd say not to worry about it and don't let it sway your decisions...

Hope you sort out your dm800 btw :)

Stanman
14-06-12, 18:24
I may be wrong here but the battery is only an issue on the original ET and the latest version are fine.

DixieRay
14-06-12, 19:16
Dixie ... you have to think to yourself (in regard to the battery), are you going to remove it?! If so, then don't buy the box. But, in the year and bit or so I've had this box, I've never gone to remove the battery... It's worked well for the past year and bit, and never had a problem with it. So, I'd say not to worry about it and don't let it sway your decisions...

Hope you sort out your dm800 btw :)whats the buttons like on the ets remote, i have a bit of trouble with small buttons if they are tiny things it could give me some problems i know it sounds a daft question but i really struggle with small fiddly things like remote buttons. i am going to try to sort ot the dreambox later, basil gave me some good instructions so if it works i might be ok but i do like the look of the vix programs, i saw some on the guys setup i got the dreambox from and they seem nice

pooface
14-06-12, 20:35
I do prefer the buttons on the duo remote, but I prefer the layout and certain other things on the et9000 remote. The ultimo remote I do not like at all however...

As an aside, I use a logitech harmony 650 remote, which works great for most needs, just that I cannot get it to work properly how I want it. Long press of buttons doesn't work properly, and a few other things, but as a day to day remote (just having to change over manually to that remote), it works great and buttons are nicely sized. So, if you got a box and didn't like, then you could always upgrade to a different remote... (or just use the web if :p)

As for battery on newer et boxes, I do not know. Maybe phoenix is right, and someone who has one can confirm?!

KristianM
14-06-12, 22:08
I have the ET9200 and I love it, BUT the remote is not very good. Especially the arrowbuttons around OK are too small and "flimsy".