PDA

View Full Version : Linux receivers.

Grumpydave
05-12-11, 11:46
Just a quick post regarding Linux receivers. I feel the time is right now for me to learn about these before I get to old.
Would someone be kind enough to advise me on the pros and cons of Linux embedded receivers as opposed to open receivers.
I am looking to purchase my first box and I have been researching on the net for several months gathering info.
Most advise to go the Broadcom route. Over to you guys. Thanks.

Rob van der Does
05-12-11, 12:55
Many things can be said about this. I'll limit myself to two aspects:
1- Using "closed" boxes you are fully limited by the (buggy??) functionality a manufacturer "offers" you. On "open" boxes there's a wide variety of firmware, build and maintained by many many users all over the world. No surprise the quality of the latter is better.
2- Many people are afraid to run into trouble, being a Linux-Newbie. Don't. As long as your first steps will be the ones advised on a forum like this, you'll end up with a very nice TV-watching system. And only if you are used to it, and of course depending on your wishes, it's time to add some functionality using plug-ins (and maybe do some more).

Stanman
05-12-11, 19:29
Has to be the proper E1 or E2 boxes Dave, with closed box you are reliant on the manf updating, with open source,there are plenty of images around and more importantly, you can customise the box, not to mention channel lists etc