PDA

View Full Version : Vu+uno best fan controll settings

ellblud
04-12-11, 13:57
Hi im running the vix 2.3 image and i have to have the hdd disabled turned off after 10 seconds because the noise is so loud when the fans are active and when recording! i have installed pluggin fan control 2 can anyone give me the best quite recomended settings would be much grateful.

Larry-G
04-12-11, 14:05
i have a 2.5" 360 GB HDD in my uno and never once messed with the fan settings as it never gets above whisper quiet and the box is in my bedroom.

Rob van der Does
04-12-11, 17:42
Alas, there are indeed UNO fans that do make a lot of noise; the same with my bedroom-UNO.
In Fancontrol2 (set fan to 3-pins) set PWM to a very low level, and in standby to "off".
You can use the web-IF (http://IP-of-the-box/fancontrol) to have a look at the temperatures if you are interested.

DeGea468
05-12-11, 03:21
Alas, there are indeed UNO fans that do make a lot of noise; the same with my bedroom-UNO.
In Fancontrol2 (set fan to 3-pins) set PWM to a very low level, and in standby to "off".
You can use the web-IF (http://IP-of-the-box/fancontrol) to have a look at the temperatures if you are interested.This didn't work for me.

Edit: when you say "web-IF" do you mean on your desktop PC or laptop?

Rob van der Does
05-12-11, 05:49
This didn't work for me.
Please explain what exactly didn't work for you. Fan to "Off" in Stand-By? Setting fan-speed lower (= silent)?
It's a very easy to use plugin, that simply does work. If you give some more details, we can see what setting you made wrong.

Edit: when you say "web-IF" do you mean on your desktop PC or laptop?
Yes, indeed. Not necessary, but nice to give some idea about RPM and temp.

punisher
05-12-11, 10:34
ive also got a 2.5inch hdd in uno and works great and have no fan setup or anything lol stays pretty quiet

Rob van der Does
05-12-11, 10:37
ive also got a 2.5inch hdd in uno and works great and have no fan setup or anything lol stays pretty quiet
So you're the lucky guy: as I said above a (large) number of UNO's have a fan that makes pretty much noise. I've got two UNO's here: one of them can't be heard, the other one makes a lot of noise (even since I put rubber dampers in it).
Luckily the box doesn't produce much warmth, so the fan can be set to lower values (and to "off" in standby).

punisher
05-12-11, 10:47
yeh i guess im one of em lol but honestly it is really quiet and doesnt get hot at all and i have PTS on so hdd is pretty much running all the time lol

DeGea468
05-12-11, 15:45
Please explain what exactly didn't work for you. Fan to "Off" in Stand-By? Setting fan-speed lower (= silent)?
It's a very easy to use plugin, that simply does work. If you give some more details, we can see what setting you made wrong.When i go the the web IF the fan control page doesn't load.
192.168.X.X/fancontrol

Is this for the fancontrol that came pre-installed with v2.3 or a different fancontrol plugin?

Yes, indeed. Not necessary, but nice to give some idea about RPM and temp.

Yes it would be nice to see RPM and temps.. I've always wondered how hot my Vu+ Uno gets and also the rpm speed.

yeh i guess im one of em lol but honestly it is really quiet and doesnt get hot at all and i have PTS on so hdd is pretty much running all the time lol

Same my Uno runs very quiet can't even here it, Make me wonder sometimes if the fan is even on and i also have PTS on.

Rob van der Does
05-12-11, 16:43
The web-if has to be activated in the settings of Fancotrol2 (that has to be installed from the feeds).

DeGea468
05-12-11, 17:33
Oh i see, so the Web-IF is related to a different fan control plugin and not the one that is pre-installed with 2.3

If i download 'fancontrol2' will it clash with the 'fan control' thats already in the plugin list?

Rob van der Does
05-12-11, 17:36
Oh i see, so the Web-IF is related to a different fan control plugin and not the one that is pre-installed with 2.3?
Correct.

If i download 'fancontrol2' will it clash with the 'fan control' thats already in the plugin list?
No. I have them approx set to the same values.

DeGea468
05-12-11, 18:25
Correct.

No. I have them approx set to the same values.
Okay then thanks.. Could i uninstall it if i wanted to?

DeGea468
06-12-11, 01:43
I downloaded fancontrol2 and damn its pretty sweet :thumbsup:.. I like all the info it gives you, Temps, RPM, Voltage etc very useful.

What's the best way to set up fancontrol2 in regards to setting?

How do i delete the fan control that was pre-installed?

DeGea468
08-12-11, 17:18
I downloaded fancontrol2 and damn its pretty sweet :thumbsup:.. I like all the info it gives you, Temps, RPM, Voltage etc very useful.

What's the best way to set up fancontrol2 in regards to setting?

How do i delete the fan control that was pre-installed?

Didn't get a response to this, but i guess it really is personal preference. Anyway i done some searching and i found this manual which is very useful so i thought i'd share it here for anyone else in my position looking for the best way to set up fancontrol2.

I do however think that the fan control that came with 2.3 interference with fancontrol2, i may well be wrong.