PDA

View Full Version : Simple power plug qestion

Logicearl
19-07-10, 11:52
Received my vu+duo today, and it comes with a eu 2 pin thingy. Was going to cut that off and wire it to a 3 pin plug, but I have another cable from a redundant dvd player, will this be ok to use? It does say on both cables, 2 x 0.75mm2. Oh and by the way the 3 pin plug has a 3amp fuse in it.

pooface
19-07-10, 12:39
Yes, use the 3 pin plug from the dvd player. It's better to use that, as (a) it's fused like you said, (b) saves any hassle with messing around cutting cables etc.

Logicearl
19-07-10, 17:45
I was just wondering, thats all, as most of these devices use a very similer plug, so rearly shouldn't matter too much which one to use then. The only difference I can see by looking at them closely, is that one has a slightly longer end that the other. But will try it anyhow. Whilst on this subject, why is it that they don't come with a 3 pin plug?

pooface
19-07-10, 17:55
I was just wondering, thats all, as most of these devices use a very similer plug, so rearly shouldn't matter too much which one to use then. The only difference I can see by looking at them closely, is that one has a slightly longer end that the other. But will try it anyhow. Whilst on this subject, why is it that they don't come with a 3 pin plug?

Because they are mainly designed to be sold in the european market, where virtually all the countries (could be wrong tho?! :p) have 2 pin plugs...

andyblac
19-07-10, 19:25
all electric kit that use a Euro 2 pin lead, don't need a fused plug, as they have no earth wire, most come with plastic earth pin :)

andy.

basilyoung
19-07-10, 19:51
it might be an idea though to have a power surge protection socket that your unit is plugged into

baz

pooface
19-07-10, 20:25
Anything electrical like these boxes, pcs etc should have a surge protector really ;)

DrProzac
19-07-10, 21:04
It should still have a fuse in the plug though!

(perhaps I'm just paranoid)

It might not have an earth wire, but it should have a fuse!!!
And I agree this sort of kit you should have behind some sort of surge protector.