PDA

View Full Version : Not impressed so far

majortom
29-11-11, 19:28
Guys,

I just received a HD800 today and a bit concerned. I purchased one for my mum who's ageing s*y HD box is on its way out, I have a Duo+ myself which is the dogs!

I am trying to get it set up so she can just plug and play when I send it to her (shes not local to me). So far I have scanned for new chennels and picked up everything needed on 28.2E. My concerns are the EPG is pretty useless dosen't do a lot and she won't be using PVR functions.

More concerning is it is showing ITV 1 South as scrambled as well as things like E4 which she receives at the moment without a sub to S*y. She certainly won't be using any kind of CS functions so how is she supposed to get these channels? I now how to get a s*y card working with my Duo+ but if I put her current card into the HD800 will it just work or will some more config be required? (not something that is going to be easy doing remotely, my Mum is as technical as a brick!), also will the card stop working after an amount of time its not plugged into her s*y HD box?

Comments and help apprieciated.

Cheers,

MT

Larry-G
29-11-11, 19:32
To be fair any box but a second hand sky receiver would be next to useless for someone like your mum, how is she going to retune the box when sky decide to change a few hundred frequencies around again ?.

majortom
29-11-11, 20:01
I wasn't concerned about that, rescan seems very straight forward and I did ask for advice on what to buy from the site sponsor before purchasing and this is what he recommended.
My main problem here is the scrambled channels, if the box is only geared for CS then its not going to be fit for purpose. :(

Larry-G
29-11-11, 20:08
I wasn't concerned about that, rescan seems very straight forward and I did ask for advice on what to buy from the site sponsor before purchasing and this is what he recommended.
My main problem here is the scrambled channels, if the box is only geared for CS then its not going to be fit for purpose. :(

Every receiver other than a official sky box needs a good amount of tinkering with in order to decode a official sky card. That's just how it is. Now I can't comment on how easy or otherwise it's going to be in order to get this box to read a sky card as I don't have one of these, but I believe silverfox may hav one.

majortom
29-11-11, 20:29
My main question really is channels like E4, ITV 1 South etc be scrambled? Am I missing something with the Freesat channels?

pooface
29-11-11, 20:43
My main question really is channels like E4, ITV 1 South etc be scrambled? Am I missing something with the Freesat channels?

Most of these channels are scrambled by sky, required a freesat from sky card. If you remove your mum's current card from her sky box, those channels are likely to be scrambled on there too...

afaik, if you use cccam on the box, it should just work straight out. Doesn't need any settings in the config afaik (only the premium channels like movies & sports need the box key). But, as phoenix says, could be a problem with the channels. When sky change frequencies, if she's using a specific bouquet, scanning in the channels will remove them from the bouquet, needing them being re-added again

majortom
29-11-11, 21:25
Thanks Pooface, I understand regarding the bouquet's, I go through the same thing with my Duo+. Are you saying if I enabled CCcam with no card and no "config" files/Ethernet connection (my Mum also dosen't have broadband) it should at least unscramble E4 etc?

Cheers,

MT

Larry-G
29-11-11, 21:40
Thanks Pooface, I understand regarding the bouquet's, I go through the same thing with my Duo+. Are you saying if I enabled CCcam with no card and no "config" files/Ethernet connection (my Mum also dosen't have broadband) it should at least unscramble E4 etc?

Cheers,

MT

A FTV channel will decode with no config file or at least a blank one but you would still need the card to be present, and no you don't need a broadband connection.

judge
30-11-11, 01:27
These channels work fine on my box with no card, maybe broadcast on a few frequencies & you are looking at the scrambled ones?
do you get more than one option for these channels? if so, have you tried the others?

Sicilian
30-11-11, 05:48
You need to look for the unscrambled channels.

Part of the problem here is you've been spoilt by all the Duo features, you wont get these on a sub £100 receiver.