PDA

View Full Version : Can i buy?

jcgrumbles
18-07-10, 18:20
Hello all,total newbie here,can anyone tell me if theres a twin tuner pvr that can give me satellite channels and also normal telly channels including freeview in hd?Im going to buy a motorised dish for it and my telly is a sony freeview lcd ,and i live on the north east coast of england. regards to you all..grumbles.

Stanman
18-07-10, 21:25
Vu+ Duo dont need to look at anything else

jcgrumbles
20-07-10, 11:06
Ok stanman cheers,i must admit,even though im new to all this,searching around the forums and info pages etc
this box seems to be the one to go for,and the support behind it really good.I just hope its pretty easy to use,some of these boxes sound really complicated.regards...grumbles

Stanman
20-07-10, 19:49
I know my way round comps but never used Linux before, reading the forums and help from mebers I have mine up and running and can change basic things.
If you get stuck, there are helpful people on this board.:)

pooface
20-07-10, 20:25
One thing I'd just have to say though...

You asked for a box that gives freeview hd. This box doesn't give freeview hd... You can get freeview from this box, but only when using the dream-elite image and buying a usb dvb-t dongle. However, this is only sd freeview (in the UK at least), since HD in the uk requires dvb-t2. There may be a release in the future of a usb dvb-t2 dongle, but whether that will be compatible or not is a different matter...

andyblac
21-07-10, 09:37
One thing I'd just have to say though...

You asked for a box that gives freeview hd. This box doesn't give freeview hd... You can get freeview from this box, but only when using the dream-elite image and buying a usb dvb-t dongle. However, this is only sd freeview (in the UK at least), since HD in the uk requires dvb-t2. There may be a release in the future of a usb dvb-t2 dongle, but whether that will be compatible or not is a different matter...

i think he might have meant FREESAT HD not freeview HD verry similar, and yes the Vu+ does have freesat hd, if you purchase it you won't look back i promise.

btw south shields, dont dont live far from me i live in spennymoor, anyway go for it, and if you need any other advise or help, you know where we are.

andy.

Foxylady
21-07-10, 10:03
Agree with above as regards VU+, i got the duo after owning the 800hd box which only has one tuner, but was a cracking box, stay clear of clone 800's unless from experience you can get hold of a genunie tuner for it or pay extra 150 roughly for a gen 800.
I had nothing but problems with glitching with 800 clone until i replaced the tuner for a gen one, was perfect.
I now have the vu+ duo and perfect box only because my good friend keep gloating about it lol, i run the dream elite image as i did on the 800hd, it is easy to navigate, nice looking and very good responces from remote, changing channels, even better i think than your sly stuff lol.
Anyway vu box you will not go wrong, cracking piece of kit thou a tad exspensive but i am sure you wont be selling it on in the near future, mine is for keeps i love it.
As for guidance as i found on here when i joined plenty fo helpful members who will help.

Good luck on your buy bud

jcgrumbles
21-07-10, 10:48
Thankyou all people for your help,i just needed to find out a few things i couldnt understand from reading specs etc,with being new to laptops and computers i just didnt wantyto dash out and end up with a box that the wife and i couldnt use!As long as mrs grumbles gets her coronation street shes happy,but im after a motorised dish because if its up there i might as well be able to get it.Ive got£700 saved up but im not too fussed about cams or these card things(too complicated)and just now im learning what skins and images are,really all i need is a reliable box with a great picture that i could possibly upgrade later on when im clever enough to do it!It was nice of you all to help,regards to you all,grumbles

SLOTH
21-07-10, 10:56
You wont regret buying one mate
great box
Sloth

jcgrumbles
21-07-10, 11:14
Cheers mate,i bet your not too much of a sloth when youve got your leg over that bike!

SLOTH
21-07-10, 11:25
:D i do try to stay with in the speed Limit !:nono:

jcgrumbles
22-07-10, 18:08
Of course,i used to as well,i used to love the country lanes but mind cowshit has given me some lovely gravel rash ha.Ive another daft question if you dont mind,when i have both sat and normal telly on the box,will the epg just be one long list of progs or separate,is it easy to navigate between the two,or will this be up to me with these "skin" functions? Cheers and thanks,regards..grumbles

Stanman
22-07-10, 19:57
Might have misunderstood your question but you can view the EPG as a long list just for the channel you want or multoEPG for more than just the channel you are viewing. All accessed through the EPG button on the VU

pooface
22-07-10, 20:33
As stan said, you get different view for the epg, either a list or the multiepg...

But, from what I'm guessing, you're asking about the list of channels (not the epg). If you go to the satellites option (by pressing the down arrow, green button, and choosing your satellite such as 28.2e), you will get a list of all channels available on that satellite in alphabetical order. What you want to do, is to create a bouquet of channels. For example, on 28.2e, you can set up one which has the freesat channels (same as those on the tv), and another which would have the sly uk channels. On 19.2e, you can set one up for csat france, one for digital+ spain, one for sly germany, etc, etc. A lot of the channel lists are set up in a similar fashion.

Then, when going to the bouquets, you can check the epg info for that bouquest (either the multi or the single)...

hth :)

jcgrumbles
23-07-10, 09:07
Thanks for your time again gentlemen,ive got four weeks off coming to me soon,so im going for the vu+ a motorised dish and bracket,a twin lnb and some cable,and andyblac,like you said your not too far away,just listen for the screams of frustration across the rooftops...ha. Cheers....grumbles

Stanman
24-07-10, 09:24
Also to get it to operate channel no etc like Sky, download the B16MCC listings and use Dreamedit to upload - really easy peasy and works a treat.
Only thing to change is he lives in the NW so has ITV and BBC set for those regions.

jcgrumbles
24-07-10, 10:15
Cheers stan,theres a well known satellite store not too far from us(dont know if i can mention it) im trying to get mrs grumbles to take me over today so hopefully i will be sorted soon.regards..grumbles

ttt1892
25-07-10, 15:19
Any help needed JC, we`re here for you.

ttt.

jcgrumbles
25-07-10, 15:27
Much obliged ttt,and if your in the gallowgate end for the psv game,i will be the one with his head in an instruction book looking bewildered,regards...grumbles.

ttt1892
25-07-10, 15:43
I`ve got my usual season ticket.Fatboy ain`t getting anymore money out of me. Did you watch the game yesterday? We are in deep brown stuff.

ttt.

jcgrumbles
25-07-10, 16:03
No i didnt get to see the match,i read the report this morning on nufc and it was a worry tho,what the hell can we do eh?I was born on scotswood road 52 years ago so ive no other option than to go through yet another season of joyous torment!I still wish i had a season ticket though...ha.regards..grumbles.

ttt1892
25-07-10, 16:10
I wish I could kick the habit.Been going for 36 years now.There should be a help group like Alcoholics Anonymous for us.http://www.smileys.me.uk/smileys/Party/party0015.gif (http://www.smileys.me.uk/smileys/Party/)

ttt.

jcgrumbles
25-07-10, 21:11
Sorry for the delay in reply ttt, grandbairns you know.Your right,it could be called the toon army mental health support group or something...christ,what a season this is going to be though.